Chord Practice/Mic cannot be used with headphones

Hi,

I can’t seem to figure out how to use the Chord Practice/Mic input while using headphones. The app offers no routing of audio of any kind and just picks up the mic, which for electric guitars the sound is too weak to have reliable results. I can’t even tune it, even though some other tuner apps that I have pick it up.

Any suggestions? Do I need to use a speaker to be able to use the app? I feel this is a big part of the app vs. doing the web version, but I can’t use it unless I buy a more involved speaker setup - which will not help, since I like to practice later at night when everyone’s asleep.

Hi @andreiantonescu , you can count the changes yourself, so you don’t really need the autodetect function. I mostly use the website for practice, not the app, and there is no such function on the website.

Hi @LadyOfTheCastle - I don’t know what you mean about counting the changes, in that feature the app actually waits to hear me play a note and play it correctly. Of course, I can (usually) tell by myself if I strum it correctly or not, but I can’t really use the feature since the mic is not picking up anything unless I route the sound to a speaker system.

Hey Andrei,
You can tag @MusopiaApps, who are running the app, maybe they can give you advice.

Ah ok @andreiantonescu , I guess you mean the chord perfect exercise (strum each string to hear if it rings out clearly, then strum the chord). You can actually easily hear if the string rings out clearly or buzzes. When I had the app, it struggled to recognise strings being played, certainly with an electric. But of course, you want this to work so I hope Musopia can help you out!

if you want to play silently and your budget can allow it you might want to consider purchasing one of these, It’s a very versatile unit. A NUX mp3 mighty plug.

Connect it to your phone with a usb cable and you should be able to do what you want as loud as you loudly or quietly as you like using wired headphones… It’s a plug in amp, an audio interface and you can stream music to it via bluetooth.

Hey @Matt125 thanks for the tip I have exactly that. This is how I currently practice.
But, this is what I was saying that the volume from the guitar/headphones is low so the app in that chord perfect exercise is not picking it up.

Not sure @MusopiaApps if you can increase the sensitivity of the mic or ideally have audio routed into the app from the Nux or similar device.

I think it might be an inherent problem with the app. Here is a link to a thread discussing it. The thread was from Jan this year.

Hi @andreiantonescu

Unfortunately, the microphone detection is often too quiet for electric guitars that are not being run through an amp at this moment in time.

We are still looking into adding an iRig feature for the app to allow users to connect their unplugged electric guitars but we have no official time frame for the release of this feature yet.

We are very sorry but hopefully we can provide a solution to this soon! :slight_smile: