Christmas/New Year party singalongs

This is where knowing basic chord progressions works really well. No capo needed get a chord chart with all the keys and practice playing different keys with open chords.

2 Likes

I get the point, but this really isnā€™t true, is it? I can play the G-Em-C-D Axis of Awesome progression, but I canā€™t play thousands of songs or even dozens. Beyond learning how to play those 4 chords in a row, Iā€™d have to do this:

1. Know which songs use that progression.
  2. Most of those songs donā€™t use only that progression. I might have to learn different progressions for the bridge, chorus, etc. for all those songs.
  3. Iā€™d have to learn the lyrics to thousands of songs.
  4. Iā€™d have to learn the song structure: how many verses, chorus, where the bridge(s) are, intro, outro. Etc.
  5. Iā€™d have to learn a strumming pattern or groove, which can be quite different for different songs.

Of course, learning the I-V-iv-IV progression is very useful, especially when you can start to recognize it when you hear it. But letā€™s stop saying that learning a 4-chord progression will add many songs to your repertoire. Itā€™s a good first step.

Itā€™s all about learning how to play the guitar. You can learn song or you can learn how music is constructed. Itā€™s up to you. I prefer to learn how music is constructed.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a really good point and one which Iā€™m going to take on board this year. Thanks Rick.

@Richard_close2u perhaps we can have ā€˜learn songs, learn songs, learn songs and take note of how there is a similarity in their constructionā€™. Cue a Vintage Club lesson. :grinning:

1 Like

Uuhā€¦ What a great idea and most thrilling topic @sairfingers. If there ever will be such a session @richard_close2u. If there would ever be such a session, could I please get an invite? :slight_smile:

Or both!

1 Like

And you could have a ā€˜homeworkā€™ assignment, asking people to bring a list of a couple of songs that use one of the standard chord progressions :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

FWIW I just stripped this out of my Practice Schedule Spreadsheet and highlighted the open chords to help less experienced folk here. For F if barre chords are beyond you Fmaj7 will set you straight.

And if anyone spots an error please shout up, as it was done a while back and I canā€™t recall checking it thoroughly ! :rofl:

5 Likes

Excellent chart Toby.

1 Like

Hi Gordon, thanks for starting this thread as weā€™re all getting very interesting input for our practice. I was reflecting on my guitar goals recently - well I think many of us did the same! - and I happened to think that being a Campfire guitar player might actually not be my cup of tea at the momentā€¦of course I would love it, who wouldnā€™t? But it feels too difficult for me. I can play soo many childrenā€™s tunes with just C and G from memoryā€¦well I can still do it if a third chord is added, but if it starts being a 4 chords song my ear struggles to be prompt and recognize to which of the chords I need to switch. If itā€™s pop or rock or whatever (not childrenā€™s tunes) itā€™s even harder as I donā€™t have as yet the tools to add all the dynamics and the cool stuff my musical imagination suggests! Much Food for Thought for me from other peopleā€™ s repliesā€¦

Ps: Iā€™m glad to read you had a good time sharing your guitar with your family!

1 Like

Toby, could you share the file so that we can print it out? Pleaaaseee :pray::innocent::blush:

1 Like

Iā€™ll see if I can extract that one worksheet and drop it into a document on its own. :sunglasses:

In the key of B a biggie :joy:
greetings

1 Like

Better :wink:

1 Like

@SILVIA and anyone who may be interested. Link to my Google Drive added here.

https://community.justinguitar.com/t/common-chord-progressions/2837/41

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Toby I managed to download it! :grin:

1 Like

For the second year in a row, we have had successful holiday singalongs by screen sharing the Justin Songs App to a big screen smart TV (Roku).

Great for guitar players and singers alike!

Also, my girlfriendā€™s daughter impressed the hell out of me by playing along on an extra guitarā€¦even though she only plays ukulele.

Between the visible chord diagrams and slowing the tempo, she was able to keep up quite credibly on an unfamiliar instrument.

But I wasnā€™t at all envious of her natural talent - uh, uh - not me!

Glad youā€™ve found your solution to the singalong issue Tom. I donā€™t subscribe to the app so not a path open to me. :smiley:
Also great that youā€™ve converted someone to guitar! :+1:

1 Like

Following on from @TheMadman_tobyjenner spreadsheet a few posts back, Iā€™ve now come across this Community post. Itā€™s a long one but lots in it.
Common Chord Progressions

Iā€™ll also highlight @stitch Axis of Awesome video.

3 Likes

Iā€™m late to this party ā€¦

Within my mantra are many paths / depths / meanings / interpretations / applications.

Perhaps it could be worth shaking the mantra tree to see what comes out and making much of it explicit.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes