Class of 2023 what is it all that about

Justin is a sensible teacher, and to me a restricted group of students only responds to a human need to be less “an absent dad” (hey we’re so many over here!), to allow himself to be more among his students, to allow himself to be less impartial, as his role requires, and just get more personally involved with his students. Of course this might be only a misunderstanding vision of mine… I’m not in his mind! But I do know what a Teacher-Student relationship involves…and I could hear his enthusiasm during the workshops in Italy. I see no evil in that.

1 Like

It seems to me that this class of 23 thing is setting up a different experience for some who maybe don’t find the current way (the community) attractive. Class of 23 is like a special interest group.

But why not have interest groups within the community. These groups could be visible for all to read but only those signed up to them could post and chat in them. There could be a group for each grade. People of similar ability levels like to chat and learn together whereas chatting with people of higher ability can be intimidating. They could still chat with people outside of their grade as they do now around the community, so I don’t see this as segregation, just pulling people of similar ability together.
These groups could give a ‘place’ or a ‘home’ to everyone in the community, which they currently don’t have.

Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the comments and feedback; we appreciate it and will consider it for the next campaigns.

This project is a collaboration with Musopia/JustinGuitar Lessons & Songs App and will focus on Grade 1. It’s also for being a collaboration with Musopia that this will be a separate group from the Community - as participants don’t have to be JustinGuitar.com members. And other technical limitations as well.

We’ll have additional support in that group, but that doesn’t mean by any chance that the Community will lose attention from our Moderators.

This project, Class of 2023, is separate from the Community, but that also doesn’t mean we won’t keep working to improve your experience here in the Community and listening to all your ideas - like the great one of interest groups.

Hope this clarifies everything a bit!

Cheers,
Laryne

9 Likes

Hi Laryne, thanks for clarification although two more comments from me based on your reply.

Surely most if not all who subscribed to app have JG account too? As not all content is available via the app. Plus many contests organised before made people create the account so back to my original statement - I imagine most if not all members in C2023 will have JG.com therefore Community account?

Can’t think of any to be honest:

• polls :white_check_mark:
  • comments :white_check_mark:
  • engagement :white_check_mark:
  • live video - use private YouTube stream like with Xmas bash to answer members question and post a link :white_check_mark:
  • Musopia presence here :white_check_mark:

Can’t think of anything else you would need to run this thing but would be great to find out what exactly puts the brakes on in here that Facebook has :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Maybe just to have an exclusive space for people in the course. There will be more direct input from Justin, probably; imagine if it was just a “topic” in this open forum? I doubt it would be easy to keep it exclusive and curated. So I guess it is just to have a separate space.
If the course participants want to interact with the community as well, they will be more than welcome.

I agree it is too bad that Facebook is the choice. It is not a good platform. Nowhere near as easy to use as this community forum.

2 Likes

But it wouldn’t, you can create a separate section that is closed to exclusive members in here too like we did with testing and feedback when Community was starting. You can make exclusive group in here too which I am sure mods can confirm.

Imagine post after post in the group on FB with users putting new stuff in all the time, depending how many people will be let in - the more posts published the more chance yours is not gonna be seen.

Yes but Justin spends far more time on FB than he does here, so it looks like natural evolution. But hey its his business model at the end of the day but as I said earlier, it goes against aligning the different portals here a year ago and now creating two distinct streams. And do we need our experience here improved ? How can you do that unless your actively involved ? Confused . com ?

I don’t understand what all the fuss is about. If you feel like your missing out join the class of 23. A few weeks ago the big complaint was to many post in AVOYP. Now the complaint is 1000 new members won’t be posting here. Think of the flood of post if 1000 newbies posted everday, all with the same question.

I think it boils down to thinking what an I missing out on.
@adi_mrok there are a lot of app users that don’t know about or use the website or this community. So if this class of 23 is to attract them I think that’s better for the community.

2 Likes

I’m reading and absorbing.

On this one point Toby makes.
I need to explain some.
Justin doesn’t spend much time at all on social media. Laryne creates, schedules, posts and manages most of Justin’s social media output. I think I’m right to say that was her first role when she joined the team.

Fair comment Richard but that does give the impression that it is JS that active on FB and not here. My bad.

Toby @TheMadman_tobyjenner
Like you, I agree Justin is entitled to have whatever business model he wants.
However it does sound like two communities to me however you dress it up, which is a pity. I did Grade 1 last year and being a member of this community I learned an awful lot of more advanced stuff which was a great help in giving me a broader picture, pity that some of the class of 23 will miss out on that.
Here is another couple of points
Is there going to be a class of 24, 25 etc
Will the class of 23 cease at the end of the year.
Still a lot unclear,.
I am in Grade 2 so will not be joining.
Michael

2 Likes

I mean it’s not my bag of beans to be fair happy here at the Community front, just pointing out that in my opinion choice of platform to host this C2023 is just poor that’s all :wink: and trying to say Justin won’t get any revenue from hosting it on FB and uploading videos there, unlike if he would potentially do it like I mentioned above.

Does it really mater? If your not going to join why would it even bother you? From what Laryne posted it sounds like a way to sell more app subscriptions

1 Like

I think Brian makes a pretty good point. Let’s just watch and see how it all works out.
I do however sympathise with those who have recently bought Justin’s apps etc. only to find out they are now being discounted/given free to members of class of 2023. But that is always the case with everything isn’t it. Attract new customers.

4 Likes

Yeah maybe we will get to join in on the party and watch the Class of 2023 OM being held in December.

1 Like

Although it does state having an app subscription is optional. So maybe a way to get more app users as well as get folk surfing YouTube trying to learn guitar over to the programme.

Fact is you can reach more people on facebook and maybe it is easier to contact people than in this forum.

1 Like

No bad at all Toby.
It is easy to see why you thought that.

1 Like

Facebook groups esp this kind would be private and you would reach no one unless by invite/link

Facebook as a business tool is an utter disaster, I have a 25k likes page I reach no one unless I pay substantial amounts of money per post.

For business facebook/meta just cant be productive or worthwhile.

1 Like

Gordon @sairfingers
You mention the app but there is also the Grade 1 of the Strumming SOS that I paid 49 USD plus GBP currency charge on my credit card before Christmas, Don’t get me wrong it is not the money I am worried about I am more than happy to pay for it, it is about it is the principle, on the app, the UK government have a name for it, existing user will not get the discount as you will be aware of.