Class of 2023 what is it all that about

I am not on facebook but I did tought it would be easier.

Rick @stitch
Yes I think it does there will be current beginner members of the community who will be wondering what is the situation.

1 Like

It was like that many years ago. I had images with over a million views. Now I get 17 likes at best.

I know what you mean. I would like a discount for sure. Spending a few hundred dollars on justin guitar since I am here but I don’t have to buy those books and courses. It is something what I needed to play guitar.

What is this research and analysis?

Hey everyone!

Please let me reassure you that the FB group doesn’t replace the Community at all, and it’ll never replace it. Nothing even close to that.

The Community is THE Community; it goes MUCH further than just Grade 1 content or the app! Justin plans to be more present in Community Open Mics and even bring that to his channel. That’s a separate initiative.

The Class of 2023 was a project idealized with Musopia, and its focus is attracting new students to learn with the app and helping them stick with their dream of playing guitar.

We’ll be developing that program, especially on social media, which we understand doesn’t have the same vibe as the Community. Social media is an important part of JustinGuitar - it’s how we can attract new students and spread our word.

We see the Class of 2023 as an entry program for new people, and they will - in the process - be introduced to the JustinGuitar environment and everything they can have at JustinGuitar besides the app and the Beginner grades.

Of course, everyone is welcome to join the app program and the Class of 2023; if this goes well, we might keep doing it every year, and we’d be happy to consider all your feedback for future campaigns.

11 Likes

ABOUT THE STRUMMING FOUNDATIONS FOR FREE (WITH AN ACTIVE APP SUBSCRIPTION) FOR THE CLASS OF 2023 MEMBERS:

You’re entitled to a refund of your Strumming Foundations purchase if you’ve bought that course in the past 30 days. Please email hello@justinguitar.com, and will assist you with that.

Please note that, as stated on the Class of 2023 page, only users with an active yearly subscription to the JustinGuitar Lessons & Songs app will be able to claim free access to Strumming Foundations, which will only happen once the applications to the program close on February 1, 2023.

6 Likes

Roland @Rolandson

As you asked plenty of references on UK Gov website, this is just one, won’t seem to allow me to copy the link.

This is everywhere. New customers get a welcome bonus and so on. It should be the other way around.

Laryne @larynejg

Thanks for the offer which I WILL NOT be taking up, I am past Grade 1 and would not want to deprive a genuine new beginner of the chance to learn to play the guitar.
Michael :grinning:

1 Like

Roland @RobDickinson
You are correct about discount to new members but in a number of areas the uk gov has put or trying to put a stop to it.

People need to calm down about this. It’s an extra marketing channel for Justin to sell more app subscriptions to absolute newbies. It would make no sense to market this stuff to existing engaged members that are further in their guitar journey.

The reality is that for loads of people signing up to a website is a major barrier. Joining a Facebook group and buying an app is not.

Like I said earlier, I hope it goes really well for Justin & co.

15 Likes

I subscribe only to the practical music theory courses and make the odd donation / merch purchase, I’m not very keen on using apps in general + I’m not a complete beginner either, so I’m out of the target audience of this initiative.

However, if this is intended to improve the bearings of beginners who are also newcomers to Justinguitar (website, app, etc.), I think it is a good idea. For some time, I’ve had the impression, based on posts in the Community, that most newcomers have no idea that the website even exists, so their initial steps in guitarworld were somewhat random. If this “class” can give structure to their learning, especially when they are starting out, there may be a bigger chance for them to remain motivated and to engage with other beginners or more experienced players.

And don’t get me wrong, but almost all the others who posted on this topic have been learning for some time now, so there’s not much they are missing out on, I think. Which is probably a good thing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the comments JK.
You have summed some aspects up nicely.
:+1:

2 Likes

I’m not in the category of people who already bought the Strumming Foundations course, but I want to clarify what you’re saying here. Are you saying that active JG App subscribers who paid within the last 30 days can get a refund regardless of whether they’re signing up for the Class of 2023? That would be quite fair, in my opinion. I also think it would be helpful in discouraging “overqualified” students from signing up just to get the discounts.

@Jozsef , great points! I read a lot of posts from people who’ve been learning with JG, using YouTube and the app, but they have no idea about the website. Also, a lot of beginners who do know about the website, aren’t able to discipline themselves to follow the course as prescribed. I think there is definitely a set of people who will benefit from a different approach. It’s not for me, and I hope it doesn’t break up our community. Justin, in his way, has supported my schedule and my learning goals. I have to at least try to support him in his goals too!

I think the level of response to this shows that people really care about learning to play guitar here on this site, and the whole ethos that propels it.
It is a very special, very wonderful space.
I’m so happy to be part of this and to think of Justin (and Richard, but don’t tell him; it’ll only go to his head😉) as my teachers.
So , it’s only natural if peeps get a bit startled at the merest sniff of anything that might look like a subscription model

I reckon this is the real positive thing here with the CO2023 initiative :+1:

2 Likes

Absolutely, just 10 weeks ago. I also filled in the request for 2023 being a beginner.

I have a link for the App account but, suspect I can’t use that now. As for FB, never again lol.

I have a feeling that even though I’m very much a beginner, because I’m already an app user the class of 23 won’t work because of the loss of discount. I might just as well stay here, the help and advice has been second to none.

R.

3 Likes

I have just signed my husband up who is a beginner so I will be able to report back to the group. He will receive an email on Feb 1 to confirm his membership and start the course. I have a current subscription myself to both the app and I just paid for the strumming dynamics course. Cheers Liz

1 Like

I read through the comments and had the impression, that it’s always also a thing of the type of communication

• When I started, I first bought the coursebooks to see that they represent the old beginners courses, not the new ones
  • I switched to the website and learned, that there are new courses and there is an app to subscribe - I’ ve been confused because it wasn’t obvious how they work together
  • I subscibed to the app and after a little while, many of the songs I was working on disappeared without an announcement in advance
  • I recently prolonged for another year and saw, that at first sight, there are high discounts offered shortly after that
  • I bought the old strumming foundation course, just to see, that a new one is offered after a few weeks

All this happened in a little more than a year. BUT: I’m not annoyed about that, because every single cent invested was well invested in this amazing learning system and was supporting the spirit of it all.
But it had sometimes been helpful, to get some more structured information in advance. E.g. I could have waited to buy the new strumming sos instead of starting with the old one.
Long story short, I believe that every step the team makes is deliberated and has a certain reason or strategy, we aren’t supposed to evaluate that immediately. But sometimes a little more communication about the subject could be helpful to avoid needless excitement in the community.
I see a lot of long term members, who seem to be the backbone of this community due to their immense personel input. They shouldn’t get upset, because a alternative platform gets involved to host a class of 23/24/25 students (same with the OM <=> christmas bash/YT). As I read that first, one could get the impression, it was kind of an exclusive “closed-shop” second commuity plattform, where Justin is more involved, than in the existing one. So, this is another example of a lack of communication, in my eyes, that causes confusion.
So, I think, the team has good reasons to realise their plans, but maybe a little more conversation would be helpful sometimes. Hope, you have a successful start with this new offer to new students!

4 Likes