Classical Gas - Progress June 2022

Hi folks,

I’m still a newbie guitarist, about 14 months of playing now. Just finished learning Classical Gas, and thought I’d pop a progress video up here. Took me about 2 months to get the song down end to end, and as you can see - still lots of little mistakes here and there, but the bones are there. The runs up and down the fretboard need work. I’m about to practice those particular sections, but I’m really proud that I can even play this thing (kinda).

Thanks and hope everyone is keeping well post COVID madness.

Adrian.

18 Likes

Hi Adrian,
Amazing :sunglasses:
I don’t see that classic often here… really nice to see, and it also looks like a lot of work, there are a lot of techniques passing by… I enjoyed it and look forward to your next video` s…What a debut video by the way :dizzy:…Perhaps you would like to tell us a bit more about yourself in the introduction topic?..anyway go with what you do because you are going good :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap:Bis Bis Bis
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

That is incredible considering the length of time you’ve been playing. You already know you need to improve the speed, timing and consistency, but just remembering all of the fretting positions and picking patterns for such a difficult tune is a huge accomplishment. Keep it up!

1 Like

Now that’s what I call making an entrance, Adrian. Welcome to the Community.

Congrats on the progress you’ve made, totally recognisable and sounding good.

Next time all I’d suggest is to sit just a little bit further from the camera so we can see the whole of the guitar.

As Rogier said, I’d suggest an intro in #community-hub:introduce-yourself, just a little personal background, guitar history, and goals/aspirations.

1 Like

That is an amazing effort at 14 months! It sounds like the tune and just some refining to do! Fun! Your tone sounds very good as does your technique.

I have been at this longer and am not at all ready for that one. It is on my bucket list of tunes, though.

1 Like

A song from my yoof (I only know the Mason Williams version and bought the single when it came out) so I can confirm its all there and need go no further than your own analysis. That is damn fine playing for just 14 months. I have had this on my list for years and never been confident enough to even start learning it ! I am sure it won’t take you long to knock those odd dents out but it sounded good to me if you got that down in 2 months. Chappeau !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hello Adrian, that was a great first video and of a not particularly beginner friendly piece. You’ve done well in your 14 months.

1 Like

Adrian what a glorious piece of music you’ve given us. Sincere respect for all you’ve achieved. Welcome to the community :smiling_face:

1 Like

Nice!
I should restart practicing this, it’s a great piece and dman it’s good practice!

Nothing wrong with being proud, you’re well on your way.

A detail that makes a difference:
I noticed you repeat the pattern at 1:32 but in the recording there is some variation.
Try to include it for extra spice :wink:

around 1:01

1 Like

That’s a really tricky number to play and you are doing so well! Great right hand technique, well done mate.

1 Like

Well bloody done. So impressive.

1 Like

Awesome work Adrian, than you for sharing, you certainly should be proud! :clap:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and kind words! I’ve been practising those runs slowly :slight_smile: All the best with your playing.

Hi Adrian,
Hope you’re really proud, that’s quite some achievement!
Thanks for posting

1 Like

Congratulations on your first (and hopefully many) AVOYP posting.

That was really wonderful playing Adrian and you are right to be proud of it.

What a great way to make an entrance. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Congratulations on some good playing, the practice time shows, excellent!

1 Like

I’m ashamed (but not ashamed) to say that I only know of this song from the quick little excerpt that Lisa plays on her guitar in one of the Simpsons episodes :laughing:

But seriously mate, this is an awesome effort for just over a year into learning the guitar. Keep it up

1 Like

Funny, I didn’t recognize that.

The original is well worth a listen, as is Tommy Emmanuel’s cover.

2 Likes

Great job Adrian, I enjoyed listening, and you’ve got me motivated to spend some time on this classic. Tommy Emmanuel’s arrangement of the song has 24 million views on YouTube, for good reason, and he has amazing technique, and a lot of techniques.

1 Like

Wonder if the 83 year old Mason Williams watches YouTube :wink:

1 Like