Counseling for buying a 12 strings acoustic guitar

Hi everybody! I’m thinking about buying a 12 strings acoustic guitar and thought to ask you guys if you had an opinion on the subject. Would appreciate counselling. Many names. Many prices. You give me a hand if you can. Thanks anyway and have a good day you all.

Hi Luc,
Considering the number of AVOYP with 12 strings I’m pretty sure YouTube is your friend here…just some videos in 10 seconds so no idea if it’s of any use to you…
Have fun buying one …I will follow at a time to be determined :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Luc,

I own a Martin D-X2E 12 string guitar and am very happy with it. Sounds like a treat, playing is a little less easy than 6 strings, but I got accustomed to it. With around 880 € it’s not on the cheap side, but also not super costly and you get an amazing instrument for the value! :slight_smile:

But if you have the possibility to try different models, you should do so. It’s always better to make a decision based on how it feels in your hands rather than what people tell you, because we are all different. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks you so very much Roger ! Very generous ! Very good idea. I will explore. Thanks again a lot and have a good day.

1 Like

Thank you Lisa. You give me a very good starting point. I will go to my local store and try one and from there compare the others. My 6 strings acoustic is a Taylor in this price range “and I love her”. I’ll also look for a 2nd hand. Thanks again Lisa and have a great day.

1 Like

It’s 6 better than a normal guitar.

Unless you’ve got to restring or tune it

4 Likes

Hi Luc,

My 12 string is a Seagull S-12 that I have had for over 10 years… I Love it & would highly recommend this guitar.
New they’re around $750-$800,
Used about $350-$450
If you find one, give it a play… the cherry back & sides with spruce top sounds wonderful!!!

Tod

Hi Tod​:exclamation: Thank you so much for your help. Since I don’t know Seagull guitars at all, your answer will encourage me to explore them. Not to expensive. I like that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Thanks again Tod for your help and have a good evening. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Off shoot of Godin guitars, Canadian, well rated for the price.

1 Like

No worries Luc!!!
I also have a 6-string Seagull… they have a very pleasant sound & feel (at least to me) !
Good luck with your search :eyes:!!!

Tod

1 Like

Hi Rob❗️ I have a Godin electric SD and love her. Didn’t know they where good with acoustics too. Thank you Rob‼️

Thanks again Tod :exclamation:Very helpful :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Godin make acoustics too afik, I think Seagull are their more affordable guitars

Thank you :exclamation: I will go and try them all this week :grinning: :smiley:Thanks again Rob. :pray: :pray: :pray:

I was in my guitar shop one day and one of the clerks was behind the counter with a 12-string on his lap. I said “tuning a 12-string?” He said “yeah, I’ll be here all afternoon.”

1 Like

Worth it though they generally sound great and are amazing for performing if your not doing too much fancy stuff I guess.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

:+1: :+1: :+1:

I wouldn’t bother with a 12 string if you have a second acoustic right now. Just string the second guitar with: GHS Nashville High Tuning Acoustic Guitar String Set CU-BBHT 11-20 or similar. I’ve gigged with a Nashville tuned guitar.

1 Like

I play a Guild (F-1512) that I like very much. It’s a solid wood jumbo body guitar. When I was looking, I compared with a variety of others between ~$500 and $1300- Breedlove, Seagull, Takamine, and Martin. I liked the full sound and playability of the guild the best. I was comparing across body sizes and construction - the seagull was a concert, the takamine a dread - so part of it is what size body you want. Play as many as you can :slight_smile: