Dang if I didn't Jack up my wrist!

Took a spill with backpack and fishing poles on a hiking/fishing trip yesterday. It happens. Sprained my wrist in a way that has me in limited action – I can type in spells, playing guitar or gardening is not happening. Half way into Sunday morning and I’m already jones-ing for some jams, and have some seedlings to plant.

What to do with this down time? Might have to bring out the harmonicas.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, Clint. Harmonica is a good idea.

1 Like

Bummer, Clint, hope you recover soon.

Which wrist is the injured one? If per chance it is the strumming hand wrist then you could practice your lead play using just hammers, pull-offs, slides, bends and vibrato. I was watching a video of Roy Buchanan playing and at one point he played on and on using just the fretting hand.

1 Like

Thanks all!

It’s my fretting hand wrist. I was able to get one seedling planted so far, heavily relying on my right hand, but had to rest the hand afterwards. Still not feeling that i should even pick up the guitar.

Here’s the scene of the crime. After a mile or so hike into the lake I came upon quicksand around the shoreline. Yeah, the quicksand of the Tarzan jungle “B” movies of my youth. Crazy! Having a backpack full of gear and two fishing rods in my hand did not help:

As you can see big footprints at the bottom of the pic and then footprints moving away from the first (manageable steps) that are actually closing in as I moved forward and deeper into the quagmire. At the topmost part of the pic you see where I went quickly knee deep and then grabbed something resembling earth, and pulled myself out. It was in that scrum to pull myself out that my wrist somehow got jacked. Did I panic? Probably. :roll_eyes: :poop:

Do you have a right handed harmonica?

I hope you heal fast! This guitar playing thing definitely makes you realize the hazards of daily life. Broken nails, finger cuts, jammed fingers, sprained wrists, even greasy fingers. All have new meaning.

1 Like

Harmonicas are the same as guitars and pianos, neither right or left handed, but both hands are typically used to play them. There are non-standard guitars for people who chose to fret with their right hand instead of the left, but the instrument requires proficiency from each hand in either case.

Get well soon! Sh… happens. Ups, so sorry to read about your injury. I cut my finger two weeks ago, blood was running down and my first thought was: “Thanks god, it’s not the fretting hand.” Completely stupid. Try to treat your wrist with care for the next days. Hope it will be better soon!

1 Like

Oh that sucks CT hopefully a few days and the wrist will be like new!

1 Like

Thanks, will do.

(SPOILER ALERT!) Although being in the middle of binging the History Channel’s “Vikings”, I just watched Ragnar Lodbrok defeat the Paris defenses while practically on his death bed – I feel a little wimpy to be honest. I did get two tomatoes planted this morning. LOL

1 Like

I feel for you. I fell two weeks ago skiing and jammed up my left thumb pretty good. It’s still swollen and sore.

1 Like

Hopefully its just a light sprain, and all is well soon Clint. Must be frustrating.

Cheers,
Shane.

1 Like

Sounds like a good time to spend on music theory!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. You might be able to still do some fingerpicking if you can somehow balance the neck up and just use open strings. Just a thought

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that you hurt your wrist. Hopefully it breaks up soon

1 Like

Open tuning and a slide, no fretting required!

1 Like

Glad your quick-sand encounter was no more damaging than the wrist injury, Clint. If anything like those B grade Tarzan movies, it could become more serious.

As other suggested, perhaps some finger-picking drills. Guitar into an open tuning and you can rock a one chord song … are there one chord songs?

As for Vikings … loved it! Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi Clint,
That’s pretty sh*t,
And a rather precarious adventure, be careful man, playing the guitar at home quietly/carefully (or very hard/loud :smile:) is a lot safer…Take a lot of rest with your wrist and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you recover quickly and well,…
Have fun sowing, :seedling:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Look after that wrist Clint. Glad to hear you were able to get some planting done. Wouldn’t like you to miss out on our annual tomato competition. :smiley:

1 Like

Great idea! Not a bad time to focus on modes and alternate chord voicings.

Another great idea! Open tune the guitar and work on right hand finger picking technique.