Dave's (nhh2oskr) Learning Log

Here’s my guitar journey from an instrument perspective.

My first (thanks, Dad!), a 1962 Gibson ES-120T. I played in a band through high school, paired with a Fender Bandmaster which got sold a long time ago. The guitar still plays well. It’s got all its original parts except for needing to replace some electronics (pots and caps) a couple of years ago. At that time, I added a Boss Katana-50 Mk II to make some noise.

When I started to play again, after my long hiatus, I bought an acoustic. I didn’t know if I would stick with it so I picked up a modestly priced instrument with a sound that I liked, a Norman B18 Protégé Cedar. A local luthier did a setup making it even more enjoyable to play. I’ve started to use more alternate tunings. I might have to look for another acoustic so I don’t have to change tunings as much. That’s my rationale and I’m sticking with it.

After a couple of years I knew that I was going to keep playing so I started looking for a more advanced electric (the ES has limited capability). I stumbled upon a used instrument that was in great shape. It was 7 years old and still had the plastic protector on the tail piece! I took it home for the weekend to try it out and it’s still here, a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard 60. I’ve got a long way to go to begin to tap its capabilities, but the journey is fun.

6 Likes

Nice collection of guitars.

Some nice axes for sure! Stay true to your journey and you will do all the guitars proud!

Hi Dave, I am learning I like Gibstons a lot thanks!

Thanks. All of them have very similar neck shapes. That was a factor when I chose the LP. I was immediately comfortable with the LP 60 neck.

1 Like

Hi David, those are some nice guitars. It does seem like a shame that you only have one acoustic. I sense that it is holding you back!

That’s some flame on the Les Paul!

I’m sure this rationale will serve you well Dave. We can be inventive when it comes to finding reasons for buying more gear. You’ll get nothing but encouragement here :laughing: We enjoy the vicarious thrill.

1 Like

haha what an idea… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I couldn’t put my finger on what was blocking me. Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

I love the feel and the tone, but in full disclosure… the look really grabbed me when I first saw it in the shop.

1 Like

I think I’ll take a page from your play book. My 70th is coming up this year.

1 Like

I missed this when first posted, Dave. Lovely guitars.

Nice collection! I have the same Les Paul.

Appreciate DavidP finding this, another slipped through the net. Lovely collection Dave. Look forward to hearing these. :sunglasses:

@mocanada How long have you had the LP? I assume that you like it :wink:. I picked mine up about 6 mo ago. I’ve been experimenting with strings. Initially it had D’Addario EXL110 10 - 46. I am currently trying Erne Ball Hybrid Slinkys (thinner highs 9… and …46 lowers). My next experiment will be with EBs that have 10… highs and heavier lowers (…52). What strings to you use?

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I’m warming up to this sharing thing :flushed:,Yesterday I got an audio interface and mic. My main goal for this is to be able to record the acoustic and mix tracks with it and the electric. I’ve got some learning to do.

1 Like

Have fun with the AI, David, and look forward to listening to the fruits of your recording.

I got that bad boy in 2011. I’d play for a while then it would sit for a year or two. Finally last summer I thought this is ridiculous I have this beautiful guitar…time to learn some songs. Recently I put
D’Addario NYXL 9-42.

Great news David. Plenty advice available on that kind of thing. If you have issues you can look at Gear and Tools section or post questions there in one of the sub-categories. :sunglasses:

I chose to stay with the heavier (46) lower strings to preserve the bass characteristics of the LP. Do you like the lighter ones?