DavidP's Learning Log

A great read, provides good insight about persevering and enjoying the learning journey for what it is, these learning logs are very valuable windows into your approach. They are inspiring, and I have dipped into some of the recordings through your evolution as an artist. Thanks for the encouragement for others that you have shown throughout this journey.

@philsmith
Thanks Phil, appreciate the feedback and delighted you found such value in my Log

David, I love your story! So well-written. And bravo on the ā€œfirst time playing in publicā€ video. You are goals!

@zys
Thanks, Z, appreciate you taking time out to both read and the lovely feedback. I truly believe that the message of my story is that if you take it slow and steady you will learn to play and achieve more than you imagine is possible.

Iā€™ve followed your progress (look forward to the newly uploaded videos) and you are on that never-ending path to mastery. Now enjoy the process, it really is about the journey rather than any specific destination along the way, though each milestone is a moment to savour.

1 Like

Well said sir and good advice. You are the epitome of slow and steady wins the day.
You know my views well on those that wish to sprint but run off never to be seen again. I donā€™t seem to have repeated my own old marathon mantra on these new pages but you set a fine example.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

#28 6th JGversary

7 months or so since the last update, which I suppose is still better than being like Santa and coming to update my Log once a year on my JGversary :rofl: And it seems a matter of course to say ā€˜what a year it has beenā€™ but this was quite a year.

The year began with the move to the new Community Platform. While there was a learning curve to master, and a few hiccups along the way, overall I think the new Platform has enhanced my experience. Being integrated with the JG website led to many more folk becoming active in the Community. It sure is busier, and I canā€™t read every single post as I used to, but meeting so many more folk, making so many new friends, makes it a winner in my book. And just as I had begun to settle down in the new Community, I was surprised and honoured to be invited to join the Team as a third Community Moderator.

A year ago I posted up a project based on the Beginner Blues Study from Grade 2. That inspired me to take a look at the first lessons in the Blues Lead course. I documented my progress, with observations and some practice videos in a ā€˜What Are You Learning?ā€™ Topic: Bending and a lick or two

With a couple of other folk also catching the bug, we eventually created three new lead-related Guitar Challenges: Guitar Challenge (Improv) - Layla style Backing Tracks, Guitar Challenge (Improv) - Layla style Backing Tracks, and Guitar Challenge (Improv) - 3, 2, 1 improvisations

At the same time I continued to work on my camp-fire repertoire, those songs I can play and sing from memory. As the restrictions imposed by Corona began to ease, the local TJs Open Mic Night was resumed. The time I invested in singing (described in the previous chapter) paid off, and I felt I had stepped up a level. But no sooner was I back into it than I contracted Covid, which put an end to singing and Open MIcs for a while.

Around about that time I also, by chance, visited a cardiologist for a general check-up. Cut a long story short, a few months later I found myself in hospital for a heart valve replacement operation. The operation went well, was a total success, and I am blessed to be able to look forward to life in restored good health (not that Iā€™d known I was not in good health). That too disrupted my progress.

Through the year Iā€™d begun to become more aware of the weight of my electric guitar, how uncomfortable it was to play for long (for me) periods of time. The GAS began to bubble and I ultimately sold the trusty Epiphone LP, the guitar known as Vincent Blue Beast here in the Community, and acquired a PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow. It is a fabulous instrument to play, sounds great and looks gorgeous (even if I say so myself). Youā€™ll find pictures here: Finally overcome by GAS pressure

I also received a Ditto looper, a generous gift from @SS7 and had been using guitar controls (pickup selector, tone, and volume) to get distinct rhythm and lead tones for noodling over a loop, what I call loodling. But in a GAS aftershock, I decided the time was right for an overdrive pedal. After much research I opted for a Caline Pure Sky and have not been disappointed: GAS aftershock

As you can see, it has been quite a year. I feel that my ability to perform live has improved in this year, largely due to the previous year spent doing the Discover Your Voice singing course but also just through continued practice and performing at Open Mics, bith TJs in person and in the Community OM. Lead development progressed at my usual pace ā€¦ tortoise pace, but I feel Iā€™ve also made reasonable progress. The 3-2-1 exercise being a particularly effective exercise.

I often feel I should be a better player given the number of years but must also be honest with myself in terms of the time I spend actually learning and practising versus rehearsing the camp-fire repertoire or noodling over a BT on the looper. My play-grade is the play-grade I deserve.

And that is fine. I am not learning with any expectation to become a semi-pro musician. It is a hobby, an activity that I enjoy, plus a social activity, albeit with friends in the cyber world of this Community, so all is well and as I like it.

Thatā€™s it, up to date for (most likely) another year. I shall continue to trip lightly down the lead path and learn a few more simple songs for the repertoire plus perhaps a few more blues studies, who knows what will take my fancy.

Till the next chapter, take care, be well, and keep on keeping on!

My Music

My YouTube Channel | SoundCloud Years Archive

Gear

Guitars: Fender Paramount PM-1 Deluxe | Honer Resonator | PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow | Celebrity CC67 (Nashville strung)
Amp: Blackstar ID15:TVP
Pedals: TC Helicon Play Acoustic | TC Electronics Ditto Looper | Caline Pure Sky Overdrive
Mics: Samson CO3 | AKG D5 | Shure 545SD Unidyne III
AI: Focusrite Scarlet 2i2
Software Tools: Reaper | Guitar Pro

Learning Log Chapters

#27 Discover Your Voice
#26 5th JGVersary
#25 The three types of songs
#24 Biennial (The SoundCloud Years)
#23 About the 3Ps: Practicing Playing Performing
#22 Funny how it goes, just going as it flows
#21 My 4th JGversary
#20 5000th Forum post and 4 keys to learning
#19 My 3rd JGversary
#18 First Open Mic and setting up the Playroom
#17 My 2nd JGversary
#16 First live performance
#15 First two originals and winning the Forum Contest
#14 18 month update
#13 My 1st JGversary
#12 Going beyond my dreams
#11 September songs and success
#10 RC up to date, 8.5 month reflection
#9 A severe attack of GAS
#8 Itā€™s not a linear journey
#7 Consolidation, Forum Contest, and BC Stage 4
#6 The onset of GAS
#5 Joining the Community and my first recording
#4 First time playing in public
#3 Beginning Justinā€™s BC
#2 Starting the guitar adventure
#1 Discovering a love of music

13 Likes

Congratulations on reaching that milestone. You have made a lot of progress over those six years. Your learning log updates may be sparse but when they do come around they are a wonderful read and highlight the progress and achievements that you have made. Iā€™ve only been involved in the community since moving to the new community website but it is clear to see that you are an irreplaceable member of this community who goes above and beyond to welcome newcomers and provide support and advice to the other members. I look forward to following your progress on your 7th year with JG and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

1 Like

Hi david,ā€¦
What a year indeed for you,ā€¦a super good year thanks to a general check-up ,ā€¦and a good summary of the past year,ā€¦Wish you a great new 7 months :smile:
Greetings,ā€¦

1 Like

Hi David congratz on yet another successful anniversary! Your journey is full of twists and bends :grinning: and I sure hope it will stay that way for many more years to come!

1 Like

Great update, David. Youā€™ve had a tumultuous year, but thatā€™s life and youā€™ve come through it all and youā€™re doing what you want to do. Congratulations.

As someone once said- Keep on keeping on ! šŸŽø

1 Like

Annus mirabilis! :laughing:
Iā€™m never going to catch up, am I? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Congrats on 6 years David.
You can well and truly claim to have it stick for life now I reckon.
This time next year you may have an itch!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for taking time to read and reply. While the Community grows and evolves the one constant is that it is build on a foundation of camaraderie and a shared passion for music and the pursuit of mastery at music-making. When I reflect on this first year post the change to the new platform and integration with the website, that has not changed.

A few specific replies ā€¦

@Socio that is ever so kind James but I think the Community is bigger than any individuals. It has a momentum based on its contribution to the JGverse that will ensure it continues on as people may come and go. And in this year as the business grew I frequently find that questions are already answered, direction given by other active members, members such as your good self.

And thankfully, the job of the Community mod is mostly to tidy up, such as editing categorisation, rather than stepping in to sort out bad behaviour.

@brianlarsen keeping things classical with a little Latin, Brian :grin: Iā€™d say maybe Annus tumultuosus! might be more appropriate.

ā€˜Catch upā€™ ā€¦ Iā€™m just trying to keep up :rofl: Luckily we are all on our own path, so keeping on the name of the game, rather than catching up.

@Richard_close2u what manner of itch, Richard ā€¦ I hope you are not trying to plant a seed that may grow into another GAS attack :laughing:

The seven year itch of course!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a cream for that? j/k

David, I left a comment on your video about 6 years. But I wanted to add, the way youā€™ve written your journals over the years, your sharing and advice, has been great. Gives inspiration and helps so much. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi David, a busy year I can see with its ups and downs and hiccups, but I read through the lines enough enthusiasm and passion and that makes me smile, thinking that you are happy with yourself! The thing that I really appreciated in your writing was the aknowledgment of your well being at doing the things you do, without
how do you say? Big Hairy something (I canā€™t remember
I apologize) expectationā€¦as Iā€™m myself very much like that, not really
bothering too much about tomorrowā€™s success, but trying to be as much happy with my self as I can every single day. Thanks for sharing your yearā€™s recap, itā€™s very inpirational to read now that I think Iā€™m just about to start my learning log as well :blush:

1 Like

@Richard_close2u ah, gotcha ā€¦ not prone to the seven year itch ā€¦ married 26 years, 18 years in the Bank, 15 years in Toastmasters (now retired), a paltry 6 years in JG but still counting and not going to be hanging up my guitar (metaphorically speaking as they are all hanging up on the wall) any time soon

@jkahn thanks JK, I always hope so and as such do like to share my experiences and observations. So I do appreciate it when people acknowledge that.

@SILVIA , I could quote your whole reply, Silvia, youā€™ve read between the lines and summed me up perfectly :blush: Ah the old Big Hairy ā€¦ I tend not to use that one too often, but is popular in the USA ā€¦ BHAG ā€¦ Big Hairy Audacious Goal.

Iā€™m much more inclined towards the slow and steady pursuit of mastery, progression towards a North Star that gives me direction. And always remembering to look back to see how far Iā€™ve come, to celebrate the current moments and achievements, rather than always feeling some sense of perpetual ā€˜not there yetā€™, ā€˜no goodā€™, because there is always more to learn. No end point or destination, just a wonderful never-ending adventure, with waypoints along the way.

2 Likes

Hi David. Iā€™ve just spent the afternoon casually reading through your learning log from the very beginning and I must commend you on how well written and instantly engaging it is. Looking forward the next instalment.

1 Like

Another fine chapter of your learning path, David. I read it with big interest as you seem to always find the right words. Happy, that you recovered well from your health problems this year. Thanky you for being such a wise Moderator of this community!

This is so well written and corresponds so much with my feelings. In the end of 2020, I got seriously ill, didnā€™t know how and if things will go on. A point in my life, where I learned to live in the moment, to keep every moment in my heart and not to look too much in the future and to forget about living in presence. And so, like you, I enjoy every minute I can put into this guitar journey, whether I progress faster or not.

Wish you Merry Christmas, David, my best wishes for you and your family!

@prbushe
Goodness me, Peter, that is quite something to have read through the whole lot. Your determination is to be commended. Thanks for the compliments. Based on recent form, check back in this time next year :rofl:

@Helen0609
Thank you Andrea, for the reading, the postive reply, and best wishes. It is wonderful to be here, and be in such a supportive community. I really do feel all the care and support here which makes life, not just guitar, all the better.

Good to hear you are doing well and wish you and yours every blessing.

1 Like