Finally overcome by GAS pressure

Since I moved my amp and electric from the Playroom to the Workroom, began to work on lead technique, trying to learn some solos, and indulged in more loodling (my new word for noodling over backing by way of looper pedal), I have spent much more time playing my Epiphone LP.

While playability, tone, and the controls are all good, the discomfort caused by the weight and shape began to weigh heavy on my mind. I was getting the itch, that became the urge, to replace that guitar. While recuperating, YT conspired to feed me guitar reviews, that fed this desire. My initial inclination was to replace the LP with one of the Epiphone semi-hollow or hollow body models. Then another caught my eye.

My wife kindly chauffeured me to local guitar heaven. I’ve learned my lesson, however excited you may feel, buying online without a tryout is a risky business. First up I decided to try one of the Epiphone’s, the 339. It was lighter, more comfortable, playability and tones OK.

Then I had my hands on the PRS SE Customer Semi-hollow, which my research indicated would be The One, and a significant discount on list made it affordable.

Lighter, more comfortable, I think sexier, and my wife said YES when hearing the just the first open chords. This guitar sounds great and the volume and tone controls are smooth with far better taper than I had on my LP. To be fair I don’t think it is comparing apples with apples, given just the list price of the two instruments (PRS and Epi 339). And based on close examination and my tryout, the reputation PRS have for ensuring that the SE ranges are still instruments of good quality is well deserved.

So it is Happy NGD and now I’m the latest member of the Community PRS Owners Club.

Now to move the LP on to help pay for the PRS and free up the wall-hanger. “No” I hear some saying, remember the guitar formula: Correct Number of Guitars = Current Number + 1. Perhaps one day I may have the itch to acquire additional electrics, and if I did the next would be a tele style. But for now, I can loodle to my heart’s content and when the muse comes a calling, I’ve never had an issue getting guitar sounds that satisfy me for original songs. So for now no desire to have two dual humbucker guitars.

Pictures below and for those who want to hear her, about to upload a loodle in AVOYP.

23 Likes

Excellent choice David and one you definitely won’t regret; now git and play it for us to hear :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Beautiful guitar! The fret markers look great, fits the design really well.

2 Likes

Wow, David, congratulations, what a cool guitar! And well deserved to make your recovery even more effective! Wish you many, many hours of joy with it. Glad to see, that obviously you’re alright :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Oh please! Don’t blame YouTube David, own it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy NGD, she’s a beaut. Love the colour and I love the birds on the fretboard. I think that was the first thing that drew me to PRS guitar and I will own one, one day.

I hope she brings you many years of happiness.

2 Likes

Are GAS ! Don’t you just love it. Great choice David and lovely looker.
Happy NGD… now off for a listen :smile:
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Looks awesome David, happy NGD! Gotta be happy with that one.

1 Like

Gorgeous! What a stunner, David! Looking forward to hearing the exquisite tones that’ll come from that beauty :guitar::heart_eyes::+1:

1 Like

Good call on actually feeling the instrument before purchase. Good looking guitar, enjoy!

1 Like

If anyone deserves to surcome to GAS, it certainly has to be you David. I’ve lost count of the number of NGD posts from other community members that you have celebrated. So it was good to see your NGD post this morning. The guitar looks a beauty. I really like the grain of the wood and the fret markers. Wish you many years of fun with it. I look forward to watching your AVoYP of it later.

2 Likes

Happy NGD David.
I have long had lust for a PRS semi-hollow myself.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy NGD David! Great looking guitar! Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi David,
Happy NGD :partying_face: :bouquet:

Welcome to the PRS semi-hollow club,…
just a bit more special than the “regular” PRS club, … but you notice that with the secret handshake :sunglasses: …

( :shushing_face:which is less strong due to the lighter guitar :shushing_face:) :grimacing:

Your guitar is beautiful and I wish you lots and lots of fun together…
Greetings,…

1 Like

Great looking guitar and PRS seems to make very nice instruments. Good choice and well deserved!

1 Like

Looks awesome, now you have got me thinking…

1 Like

OMG, that’s very nice. PRS sure know how to present the most beautiful axes.

1 Like

Killer guitar! I wanted a PRS really bad because of their quality and sound. This one is absolutely beautiful. Congrats and happy NGD.

1 Like

Hi David, Happy NGD! Enjoy it. If you were not finding the sounds in your LP then welcome the replacement.

1 Like

Happy NGD! And what a beaut she is, have fun playing, keep on rocking!!

1 Like

Happy new guitar day! Sad no more Blue Beast day… One single coil and one humbucker guitar could have been sold to the missus as being sensible. Just sayin’. :slight_smile:

1 Like