December 2023 (Updated! AGAIN! Lol!), Heart Shaped Box Studio - The Chain Studio Recording

Yes,
You likely want to use the VST Version for your DAW and load that up. Should work fine, once correctly installed and registered.
Here is the link to CLA Vocals. GET IT as it is only $30 and will improve your vocals 100%. Start with the Male Rock preset:

CLA Vocals

Happy Holidays,
LB

Thanks man! Any other plugins for guitar sounds? Appreciate the help!! I kinda registered with arcade output but that’s midi stuff I wanna be able to play my guitar and make it sound different vs a keyboard

Byron,
At the same Wave’s site. Get GTR 3. You will love it!

Not sure how good it is, but “AMP” in your Live package is the amp sim you got included with Live. My guess is that GTR 3 ($25) is better. But not having seen AMP, I really can’t say.

Cheers,
LB

Awesome i noticed they were on sale to!!! So i edited my heartshaped box and used some of those plugins, lemme know what you think! Still learning on how to adjust things and such in abelton! I love those plugins thanks again!!! Comes with a pretty good bit to and it wasnt all that expensive them being on sale!!! :slight_smile: Waves rocks lol. :slight_smile:

Hey,
You are making a lot of progress. This is what I hear:

• Your output out of Live is about -8.5dB. - Folks will turn up to hear your video and like me, may forget to turn back down. Next thing they listen to blasts them.

• To me, your vocals overpowered the rest of the mix. I would take at least a 2dB or so off of them.

• Your vox is vastly improved. I think you may have to admit CLA Vocals there is nice? That is assuming you used that.

• I hear you and GTR are getting along well. There is a lot in that little plug. You even have pedals in there you can use stand alone to build the tone you want!

Good start and put some more time in. You got a lot done in 6 hours. Imagine what you can do if you toss another 15 hours at it! :upside_down_face:

Take care,
LB

Thanks man!! Yeah i kinda figured my vocals were a little loud thanks for the tips guess ill redo it again lol.

@LBro Alright hopefully i fixed it!!! Lol, im still trying to figure out Dbs and such and how to get the volume just right when i upload! Thanks for the tips!! Dang another 15 hours on it? I wouldnt even know what to do or where to start lmao!

Sounding good Byron and your production is coming along very well. Some good advice given by folks in this thread. Level and balance still needs some tweaking and LBRo has made some suggestions.

What I found to be a godsend was using a Sound Meter when mixing and mastering. I think it was DP that tipped me in that direction but it will ensure you get the optimum levels for YouTube and ensure you differentiate levels between each member of the “band”.

You may find this useful.

I would also be interested to hear how you are using panning, as there seemed to be some overlap and the vocals sounded doubled and a little too wide for my ears. Think of your panning like how you would see the band lined up on stage is a good starting point.
Many different set ups but something like this helps to work out the panning angles/percentages and EQ can be used to raise and lower each “instruments” position in the mix.

As @LBro said Waves CLA Vocals is a good tool to really make your vocals pop and reduces experimentation… but you learn a lot by playing around. @LBro have you seen the new Waves Silk Vocals, recently on sale ? Very nice !!

Anyway have fun because production is a fun arena to explore,

:sunglasses:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
On Silk, I did see it but knew nothing about it. I kind of tend to shy away from one or few knob wonders that “do it all”. But based upon your suggestion, I will likely get it. It is $30 USD and as such is always on sale. Is that a good price vs what you saw recently?

LB

1 Like

Yeah I got it for $29.99 and the Waves Fingers Bass (same price) as I did not have a decent Bass VI. Its a 5 string so played havoc with the midi until I worked out what was going on :rofl: Fortunately Guitar Pro has the option for a 5 string, so I can now tab in confidence. :sunglasses:

Thanks Toby! I greatly appreciate your input and tips! I’ll have to check it out!! Sounds handy! :slight_smile: cheers and thanks for commenting!

Appreciate being asked, Bytron, and have been absorbed with holiday action.

I see quite a lot of comments already made and perhaps worked into the version I have just listened to.

Overall this sounds pretty good, I think you’ve made progress on some of the things that needed work after the previous production.

To keep it short, three thoughts:

1. I suggest you try recording the vocal standing up. I think that will enable much better support from the diaghram improving pitch, tone etc.

2. I was listening hard for the bass and not really hearing it. Could just be due to listening through my son’s gaming headset, not my mixing headphones. But majority will listen through similar or worse … phone earbuds. So while bass should not over-power unless that is what you are looking for, I think lifting it would help.

3. Consider the stereo field. I am hearing this all in the middle, not picking up any sense of width and space. So I’d explore use of panning. In this song it could be as simple as 20% one way on the guitar and 20% on the vocal. 20% may be too much, since it is effectively 40% separation. Keep the bass dead centre with the percussion. Or you could double-track the guitar and create width that way. Check out my comment on Pam’s Bye Bye Love for more on that … and Pam’s post is well worth a listen! As is LBro’s mashup, to hear what I am talking about.

Look forward to the next one.

1 Like

Thanks man I appreciate the advice!! Still learning for sure and any input helps alot! :slight_smile: Hope you had a good holiday! :smiley:

1 Like

Wait theres a bass guitar plugin! Ohh i want it! Lol!

1 Like

Yes but you will have to write the midi or use a midi keyboard to input the bass line. Another $30s but I think the Waves seasonal sale is ending soon.
:sunglasses:

Waves Bass Fingers

Well,
I am not sure but I think the above bass plug from Waves is synthesized?

If you want to try a sampled bass, which is an actual bass recorded and fired via midi as well, you could get this free one call P-Bass. This is a 1960’s Fender Precision Bass.

P-Bass - a ’60s Fender® Precision Bass plug - NOTE - Click the far right red button to get the full free bass plugin!

These guys also make a mega bass app/plug called Modo Bass that has 22 basses in it that are all sampled. But it is relatively expensive and may set you back $200 or so. The freebie above is but one of the basses in the Modo package.

All the best and soon Byron, you will start to understand why you can put in more than 15 hours on a 3 minute song project!

LB

There 14k samples and to be honest it sounds way better than the previous Bass plugins I have used. Just had a look at the manual and its not clear if they are actually recorded samples or synths but to my ears it sound darned good and for what $29.99 US, cheap as chips :sunglasses:

I listened to the samples Wave’s had and they sounded decent to my ears!
LB

1 Like

Thats the only thing, I tried bass once with a midi keyboard, just didnt feel right lol. Rather play the guitar.