December AVOYPS - ** 1.12.23 - "LUCILLE" - BB KING **

“Lucille” - BB KING

Well, here’s a short little Blues piece I put together, based on BB King’s “Lucille”.

I play my version of the intro to the song ( pretty close to the original), then go off and do my own thing for the next 2 x 12 bar sequences. The backing track is from Youtube.

Studying this piece, I think I felt, for the first time, an essence of BB King’s playing for myself. Before that I think it was a purely intellectual thing, based on the admiration for him by players who I think are guitar legends. Hard to put into words, but a significant moment in my guitar playing.
Lots to learn and experience, but feel like lots of things are starting to gel together.

As usual, comments, feedback, tips etc welcome.

Cheers, Shane.

26 Likes

Lovely, Shane.

Not much I can say. There were the odd moments that didn’t grab me, just a couple which I think were all really short notes, maybe with a slide. Now I don’t know if that is my taste or perhaps something tried and not quite executed or working out well.

I have remembered to turn on ‘watching’. Happy to be notified on all the replies so as not to miss any further recordings you may share.

1 Like

Hi Shane,
I feel the same as what David says that some moments it didn’t quite … well how can I say this … its something I recognize BB King do but can't figure it out now ...I also think the short notes here a little ...well i dont know what exactly it is :see_no_evil: (Well, I’m really going to compare you with BB King ??? :flushed: :see_no_evil::laughing: )… but I say this in the light of your latest video(S) because with everyone another person in this community I stood on my chair and clapped and bowed and I wish I was half your way now and could focus like you do in this style and play like you …

I wonder if I would have noticed anything (had dared to say it, because it feels like :ant:screwing) if David hadn’t said it…

And I want to hear this video more often so I think it’s really good already

SO :sunglasses: :fire: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :man_bowing:

Greetings

1 Like

Loved it!

Really, really sweet sounds there Shane. I could see how into that you were and I can’t blame you.

Please can you do something a little substandard so that people don’t think I’m in love with you, thanks. :joy:

2 Likes

Hey Shane - that was great! If you’re trying to really sound like BB (which you might not be, and is a Sisyphean task anyhow) then I think you need to add a bigger vibrato - BB could play one or two notes and that vibrato would instantly scream BB. However I think that sounded fantastic, lovely touch you have there.

1 Like

Thanks for listen and the feedback David. I think I know what you mean here. There’s a couple of places where the phrasing of the lick could be altered in that instance to sit a little better over the track. Appreciate it.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Pleasantly surprised here :smiley:
(I’m not a blues boy and read the comments before pressing play.)
Sounded good to these lugs :smiley:

1 Like

Schweet.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

The blooooooze boy strikes again. That was terrific Shane, loved the tones you got there. Well done.

1 Like

Nice! Good job.

I am just starting to look at some blues guitar and this is a great example of the kind of thing I should be doing

Thank you for sharing

1 Like

This was great :exclamation: Love it. Realy. Inspiring. Keep on. :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Shane, I really enjoyed that, those licks were just :kissing_smiling_eyes: :ok_hand: and I was terribly disappointed that you cut it short at under 3 minutes. I’d love to hear it again with a “proper ending”
I think the main difference between your playing and BB is that BB was the master at giving the licks space to breathe, if that makes sense? The man was so laid back he almost played horizontally :rofl:

1 Like

Your playing is really coming along Shane. It’s starting to show some real feeling. Keep doing what your doing your getting a real good ear for the blues.

2 Likes

Sounded ace to me, Shane, very bluesy. You’re also finding your own sound and flavour I think - and I like it!!

1 Like

Sounding really good Shane, if you hadn’t given it a title I would have definitely still said that I’m hearing some BB in there. Paul makes a good point about the vibrato - for effet you could add that furious BB string shake thing that he does.

So I’m guessing you played it through many times before it got to this stage. Do you have any idea very roughly how many times?

1 Like

Hello all,

I’ve just woken up to all these replies. :yawning_face: Bit overwhelmed. Very appreciative of all that listened, and thank you for the kind words. Will hopefully get around to some individual replies soon, as there’s some great feedback here. Thanks again.

Cheers, Shane

Can’t offer any advice Shane but to these ears that sounded great and very bluesy. Very cool :sunglasses:!

1 Like

Hey Phil,

I’d been practicing it for a day or so, tinkering mainly with what licks to put in the last 12 bar sequence. You may be familiar with these as they are all Ross Campbell’s chord based licks - or lines, as he calls them, as there are numerous possible licks inside each one. The first 12 bar sequence was basically the intro to Lucille, which I’d learnt a few days before. The 2nd 12 bar is a sort of pentatonic based section, which I would change a bit everytime I did it.
So, it was bringing together stuff I already pretty much had down separately. So, most of the time spent was in the phrasing/ timing. Composition could probably have been better, particularly the last 4 bars, but its all experience for the next one hey.

Cheers, Shane

Thanks Roger for the kind words. All good experience for the next one.

I am however, a little bemused about the term … " :ant: screwing" . Sounds either very sexually adventurous, or downright painful. :nerd_face:.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

That’s great Shane - you are clearly developing a talent for this. I would have to noodle over a new blues tune/tempo/style for a long time to be able to come up with a half decent effort!

1 Like