DiGASter averted

Today I decided I was going to go and check out some studio monitor speakers at the local music store. And of course while I was there ā€œjust lookā€ and maybe test out some electric guitars.

Iā€™ve told myself no new guitars until 2023 so this is somewhat like a person on a diet walking into a donut shop just to ā€œviewā€ the new flavours.

As I was walking around drooling at the Gretsches, Gibsons and Fenders, this other guy walked past me, grabbed a guitar, sat down and started playing this amazing chord melody tune. Have no idea what it was but to me it sounded like pro level playing. He was doing it so casually.

I decided not to pick up any of the guitarsā€¦ just went and had a play on an electronic drum kit (they are awesome) and decided not to buy any speakers.

As I was walking out with nothing in my hands, a staff member asked if I needed any help, and apologised for not getting to me earlier (they were all occupied with other customers, no problem for me).

I just said ā€œIā€™m good thanks, I was looking at guitars but decided I need to practice some more before getting another one!ā€.

GAS averted. This timeā€¦

8 Likes

ā€œSir, that is some damned fine playing, would you kindly take $10 youā€™ve saved me thousandsā€¦ā€

5 Likes

A lucky escape there @jkahn. Not likely to happen that way again. :rofl:
Iā€™m on the hunt too for some monitors atm, to both save my ears, and to get more of a ā€˜room feelā€™ for what Iā€™m playing. Lots of options Iā€™ve found. Just lookin for something entry level, not too pricey, but decent. KRK Rokit, Presonus, Alesis Elevate have made my list so far. The Yamahas seems great, but I canā€™t justify ( or afford) spending that much on a first purchase. Anyway more research and learning to do yet.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Escaped by the seat of my walletā€¦

Iā€™m unsure on monitors as well. Not really sure what I need. Looking at the JBL104BT, KRK Classic 5 & JBL LSR305. All have good reviews (except the 104BTs arenā€™t even on low volume apparently, which is a bummer), all different price points, and I debate to myself whether I even need them at all.

Iā€™m looking for something to;

1. Get away from the constant headphone use
  2. Something else to use for mixing, plus playing through.

Have moved away from using an amp recently , as I"m finding the computer/ amp sim route provides much more tonal variety, plus it puts all my playing/ practicing/ mixing/ teaching tools all in one place.
Monitors seem to tick all those boxes.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

When are you going back ? :rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

As long as I can resistā€¦ so, probably tomorrow :joy::joy:

5 Likes

I like to say Iā€™ve replaced my GAS with GPS - guitar playing syndrome. And it does a lot more for my ability than GAS ever did and I do remember using GAS to fool myself that it was the guitar that was the reason I didnā€™t sound that good.

5 Likes

Well done JK! You are now a stronger person.

You now know the level of playing you need to be at before going into a shop and buying an electric guitar. :smiley:

Cool. I used to love playing the drums. :sunglasses:

1 Like

GPS is where itā€™s at! Although GAS is eternally tempting.

1 Like

No upgrades until I can play like Hendrix or Van Halen!

Didnā€™t know you were a drummer! I havenā€™t played since my teens (40 now). Surprising how much I still know although the skills have faded. When did you play drums Stefan?

I love the drums. I played in my late teens, I had lessons and everything but as with everything I did when I was younger it was all put aside for women and drink. It was actually more drink as the women werenā€™t actually interested. :smiley:

2 Likes

Goog boyā€¦take a cookie :smiley:

Blimeyā€¦so short,ā€¦come here with that cookie, :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Not a bad causeā€¦ :joy:

2 Likes

Already ate it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

What time are they open until JK? No chance of heading back today? :wink::joy:

1 Like

Well theyā€™re closed now Mark, but if I get a face mask and some bolt cutters maybe I can get one real cheap :crazy_face:

1 Like

Oh I canā€™t even look at a gretsch guitar, I know Iā€™m just one GAS day away of getting one way above my playing level.

Hereā€™s my advice: you build these glasses so you donā€™t see nice things! Get into the store, ask the staff to get you what you need and get out! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Gosh that made me laugh. Oh the possibilities of the guitar I could have been able to afford if not forā€¦

4 Likes

I think thatā€™s a fallacy, even inexperienced players will enjoy a quality instrument if not get the most out of it

2 Likes