DigiTech Trio+ Band Creator & Looper

James

I think you could use it now, as unlike a regular looper, you set the progression and tempo for the bass and drums to follow and then jam or impro alongside. And that starts recording when you start which seems easier than a normal looper where you have to sync in time to get on the beat. So even something like TLB would work so I think it suits all levels.

Even better via PayPal and interest free x 4 payments. And there conversion euro to sterling better than my credit card !

NTD Wednesday or Thursday !

:sunglasses:

Yehaa this is one fun little box of tricks !!

Just spent the last hour looping four chords and laying the first line of a ā€œsoloā€ I am learning over and over. But hey its addictive. Even better when I realised once I got loop in the box, jack the guitar into the amp and AI for a different FX to the rhythm loop. Yes some old dogs take longer to learn new tricks. :smiley:

Few things to work out. Can I convert its limited 3/4 to 6/8 required for the piece Iā€™m working on ? Any advice ?

Cheers

Toby now just Loopy Not Mad
:smiley:

2 Likes

Hehe, welcome to the club, Toby :smiley:
Mine is looking at me with big puppy eyes asking ā€˜why donā€™t you take me walkies anymore?ā€™ :cry:

I canā€™t recall any 6/8 rhythm, but are there that many songs that wouldnā€™t sound ok substituting with a 3/4?
One workaround that I use sometimes if Iā€™m doing one of my family/friend collabs is:

1. Record a basic drum, bass and rhythm guitar loop
  2. connect to the pc and record in Reaper one by one. ie turn down the vol on two while recording the third. Repeat for the others and you have three separate instruments on 3 tracks. Itā€™s fairly straightforward to duplicate/cut/paste eg to add fills, replace basslines etc.

Gotta goā€¦ I think I hear someone calling in my crazy hair :laughing:
Have fun

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Brian.

At the moment I am just try to figure it out and also how to lay a decent sounding rhythm track but hey maybe thatā€™s just coz Iā€™m a bit giddy !

So the syrup was just to hide your crazy hair after all !

Cheers pal !

1 Like

Unfortunately it 3/4 and not 6/8 and not a lot you can do to convert. What I tend to do is play my progression and then see how it sounds. Itā€™s worth trying different genre even if they donā€™t match the style of song youā€™re looking for. I find I use country and folk quite a bit (particularly for 60s stuff) and then mainly rock. So basically record your progression then play with the genre and style knobs.

Another thing you can is try playing your progressing differently. Sometimes Iā€™ll just play the root notes of the chords ( a bit like a bass) and thatā€™ll give me a simpler pattern. Likewise differences in strumming (and particularly how ā€œhardā€ you strum) will change the final output e.g. a hard strummed final bar tends to trigger a fill which is great moving from verse to chorus.

Oh and I guess youā€™ve seen the back of the manual includes all the patterns included.

1 Like

In depth manual reading is on todayā€™s agenda, as I wait for deliveries and canā€™t play - a minor down side of rural life ! I certainly need to experiment and I like the idea of just playing the root note as a trio teaching method. I could not detect the bass changing pitch accurately last night and put down to muddy chords. But I got something I could jam over !
So lots to learn but more than happy with this little box of tricks. The footswitch remains in the box for now, one thing at a time.

I also found an article of teaching using the output from Chordpulse, the software I have used on some of my old recordings and originals. If that proves successful Iā€™ll share as it seems straight forward enough.

Will settle down for a long read and look forward to more experiments this evening.

1 Like

Yes the bass note method works well but youā€™ll generally get a simpler pattern (which can still be changed using the knobs). They key thing of this method is that the bass should then be spot on. It needs very ā€œcleanā€ chords with particular emphasis on the root/bass note for it to pick out the bass line.

If you want more of a swing feel then really you need to play chords. Try playing your progression different ways until you get what you want.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. In general itā€™s just about trying different things out.

1 Like

Appreciate the advice, cheers Jason.

Agreed. Simple clean chords played on the beat with an emphasis on the bass note is the way to go.

1 Like

I posted in another Topic that I had googled timing and read that 6/8 is 2 groups of 3 eighth notes, and 3/4 is three groups of 2 eighth notes, so the feel (and the accent) is different. Some people will use a 2/4 beat for 6/8 timing, counting 3 8th notes (triplets) for each beat. I think of 3/4 timing as 1 &2 &3 &, and 6/8 timing as 1-2-3 2-2-3 , so the 2/4 suggestion makes sense to me. That should work as a beat for learning, but maybe not be full enough for a backing track for sharing your performance.

Whoa steady there Mari :rofl: early days on the track I am reference. Iā€™ll be sticking to straight 4/4 if I use it in anger any time soon. Thanks for the info. I just tinkered around in ChordPulse and created an 8 bar 3/4 loop of Am C D Am with 2 bars of each. Isolating the bass and drums gives me a feel close to the song I am playing lead/impro-ing over. So that gives me something to experiment with later.

Thanks

1 Like

Thatā€™s my little box of tricks scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Itā€™s good to hear youā€™re having fun with yours.

2 Likes

The Trio+ is a great pedal.

This fellow has quite a large number of helpful Trio+ videos.

4 Likes

Thanks for that, Matt. It is time for me to dust off the Trio+ I purchased some time ago and learn how to use it. :pensive:
I will be following this thread as I check out this alley on my journey of exploration.

Good share Matt, finding some useful info. Shame the playlist is a bit erratic but working with that.

Ha! I also jumped the gun with a trio and got one well before having the skills to use or need it. But when I doā€¦ā€¦!

Thanks Matt, that was very helpful. My trio plus just arrived today. So lots to learn.

I probably donā€™t have the skills yet to use it as still only on Module 9 of the beginners course, but I will give it my best shot. Iā€™ll keep you posted on how I get on.

I think you are at a good place to try it out. If you are leaning to putting effort into improvising, it will be a great tool and the timing should be good.

If you are putting efforts elsewhere, which is what I decided on, it may not be helpful yet. I am planning to go back to the improvising and blues in a month or two and I like to think I will drag it back out then.

James

On the band creation side, just playing the root as Gordon said, definitely works better. So think of a chord progression and play individual notes. Stay with me donā€™t panic.

Progression bar of each.
Am C D Am root notes 2 open strings 1 fretted,
So
Open A string x 4
fret A string at 3rd (C) x 4
Open D x
Open A x 4.

3 strings 1 finger. That should get you started :wink: