Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms cover

Heard Mark K on the radio this morning and it reminded me of one of my favorite songs so gave it a bash.

Just realizing now that Justin has a lesson for it so I’m dreading looking at that. I just played what I thought sounded right so I doubt it’s correct but I made it fit for me. Just strumming. I tried a bit of lead but people have said it’s distracting in the past so I left it out.

Hope you’re all well.

17 Likes

That was really nice - your arrangement worked beautifully. Great vocals too.

1 Like

Thanks Paul. Glad you liked it

1 Like

Beautiful Dom. This brought back great memories. This was the first album I saved my money to buy as a kid and still remember my mother bringing me to Whites record store in Wexford town to get it. Loved how you played this!

1 Like

And what a great music shop that is(was?). The street was always heaving in rain hail and shine.

It was up there with my first too Eddie. That or Fleetwood Mac? We were hard up for good music God bless us.

1 Like

It sure was a great music store and I spent hours in there flicking through records. There was some great Irish bands knocking around in those days. Was back in Wexford this Christmas and the shop is now a sports direct or something like that.
Hope life is treating you well Dom and good to hear you banging out some tunes!

1 Like

That’s a travesty. The record shops were far more than just somewhere to pick up music or posters. Their owners were great supporters of local bands, live music and generally creating a space for like minded people to get together. I’d be far more inclined to visit a locally owned record store than an out of the box sports retailer.

As the song said,

we don’t know what we got til it’s gone.

1 Like

Lovely job, Dom, and all the more impressive playing it the way you felt it went rather than being shown :open_mouth:
All the chat about disappeared record stores, made me look up Tower Records in Dublin, which was great back in the day. I see they moved premises to where Waterstones were on Dawson Street. Must check it out when I’m back next…

Another one I visited, Brian, on school tours to the big smoke. HMV has only recently reopened but that was more mainstream.

Absolutely loved that Dom! Superb arrangement and performance.

On the other subject: it was Rothery’s in St Helens and Virgin records in Liverpool for me that hold the memories!

1 Like

Hello Dom, that’s just wonderful. I absolutely love your arrangement :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Great playing and superb voice. A very soulful rendition. You really did this song justice :clap::clap::clap:.
I’m a big Dire Straits fan - I grew up with their music as my parents were fans, too. And it was right after a Dire Straits Experience concert, that I decided to start my guitar journey :grin:.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:. You really made my day :star_struck:.

1 Like

I’m sure the experience was repeated the world over Phil. Thanks for the comment.

You’re very kind and generous with your praise Nicole. Can’t say enough good things about DS. Genius.

1 Like

Really good interpretation Dom. Probably about as good a ‘strumming’ version that could be achieved. Well done.

1 Like

@Blobbyblob
The most beautiful performance of this great song. The guitar sound is great, and the vocals are wonderful too.
And I want to say that your guitar is absolutely enough here. You’ve said everything with it.
Thanks, Dom, it was cool.
Leo

Wonderful, Dom. Great vocal, guitar accompaniment spot on. Nothing wrong with making it your own, some would say ‘all the better’

1 Like

Really nice playing and singing.

1 Like

I’m enjoying much listening to your arrangement Dom…the strumming works great and you have a very beatiful voice too! I love the way you use rests. Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

Thank you so much

Thank you J