DIY Guitar to learn on

I’ve sort of learned to put my own guitar together and learned to do full setups, before I can even play. Slightly weird way to do things but I wanted to get to know the workings of the guitar to make it better to play. This is my first full restoration from a crappy £25 guitar, which was in a right mess. I’d recommend this to anyone…it’s a great learning process and all the info is on youtube :slight_smile:

Upgraded with new electronics, Alnico V pickups and machine heads. Refinished in metallic blue.

10 Likes

Well done I am might impressed that you managed to cover very dark colour with such a nice blue paint. I am wondering if you needed to scrape the old paint off first to the wood or just sanded it and covered in blue?

1 Like

Just sanded it enough to key it well and then sprayed with grey primer, followed by colour and then clear lacquer. Plenty of info on youtube. I used spray cans from Halfords.

1 Like

Thanks for info I find this DIY guitar revamps very interesting and if only time allowed me to look into this more in depth I would be jumping on it straight away. Btw how much time in total it all took you more or less?

1 Like

Well I’m retired so I took my time…took 3-4 weeks due to letting paint and clear coat dry.

That is sweet Dave a job well done. Silk purses and sows ears spring to mid.
Happy New Old Guitar Day !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Well done, and a great learning experience as well! :+1:

1 Like

Pretty dang cool, sir! I dig the color. Working on guitars is a perfectly fine gateway drug into the hobby. Leo Fender never played guitar,

1 Like

OMG that’s awesome!

1 Like

That looks great! Nice job!

1 Like