Do guitar picks wear out

If your pick wears out before you lose it, you’re not doing it right :wink:

Seriously, my favorite Fender thin picks in blue now have a permanent curve to them. I wonder if I really hold them with the same side up every time. I must since they’ve taken on the curve of my thumb.

1 Like

I think you’re being too hard on yourself :slight_smile: Give yourself some time and it should all fall into place. I find the beginner song app to be really helpful to perfect my changes while also making it much more enjoyable. If you remember the first module, one of the progress criteria and how it was called out in the video was that you “should have struggled through a song or two” :smiley: I always remember that when some things are not going according to my expectations.

No experience in singing though and won’t even touch it as I have a horrid voice. I used to be in the choir at school, till my voice cracked and that was it haha.

@SloppyChords Thanks for the encouragement. It is not putting me off at all really enjoying myself, if it was too easy what would be fun

1 Like

Mine wear out over time. The material starts to wear away. Maybe not if you’re using something insanely thick or a metal pick , but I think both options are a bit niche.

1 Like

i’m using the “Dunlop Jazz III Nylon Sharp Red” and i just feel when the tip is getting rounder instead of sharp… the acuracy goes down while doing solo work. After that there still good for doing any kind of chord work :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve not yet worn out a pick, but I’ve worn the paint off my yellow Tortex triangle and Dunlop Extra Heavy Celluloid.

Demon it’s easy to sharpen the pick. Hold it pointed side down and swipe it through a carpet a few times. Check after a few swipes, it doesn’t take much.

Its even more easy to just buy new ones in bulk :rofl:

……to wear a hole in the carpet. I think a new pick might be cheaper than a new carpet Maggie. :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, I use Fender nylons. Cheap enough to just toss one out and grab another whenever the urge strikes me.

By the time I’m ready to toss one, the edges have gotten pretty sharp from being honed against the strings. I’m not going to slice up carpet fibers to save a few pennies on picks.

I bought a few, going through them.
Thin (0.46) one’s break while thicker (0.71) wear quite quickly.

Still have a Fender and a Gibson 0.7 from 1980. But been using the new ones since restarting about 18 months ago. So these not too worn and probably much harder wearing. Different materials.

Yes. They’ll gradually become more rounded or flatter at the point. When it starts to bother you just get rid of that pick.

Tiger 0.46
Nuff said