Dock of the Bay one-take wonder, and progress report

This is my first ever video* of me performing. It’s one take, and it was the first take (of that song - I tried and abandoned a couple of others :grin: ). Two reasons for posting it, (1) for eligibility to enter the OMs, and (2) as a progress report following the injury I sustained to my left (fretting hand) wrist back in March (details including x-ray here )

I’m particularly pleased that I was able to do a song that contains an E shape Barre chord (the single F in the bridge) without it hurting. I’ve currently got E and A shape Barres in my practice routine, at the moment I can only manage one minute apiece, and it’s no longer pain that is the limiting factor, it’s stamina. I think that shows in the video, my left hand was definitely tiring towards the end.
Anyway, without further ado, here’s my performance of (Sittin’ on) the Dock of the Bay

*There are a couple of pre-injury audio-only recordings on soundcloud.

11 Likes

Hi there,

I loved this version and I am very glad to see you overcome such an injury to be able to play again. The only feedback I have is to record with the ocean/bay in the background. I am not sure if you live near an ocean or lake. Just a thought :slight_smile: I might start doing the same thing for my videos in the near future. I only posted one with the beach in the background so far. Most of my videos have my boring music room/office in the background. It doesn’t take away from the song, but thinking of adding the artistic spin on my music. Great job with this overall-perfect harmony and vocals.

Jeff from California

1 Like

Thanks Jeff. Not a bad idea, as I live in a coastal town, however if you travel just over 800 miles (as the crow flies) north of here, you’re inside the arctic circle, so it ain’t gonna happen at this time of year :laughing:

Definitely too cold. You’d have to change the lyrics to sitting at the dock of the bay with frozen hands and I can’t play.

1 Like

Nice! Congrats on your first video!! I thought you did great! Keepem coming!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Ian,
This is your first??? :flushed:…Wow,…That should have been sooner :clap:,… congratulations :partying_face: :sunglasses:
Nice played and sung :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Nicely played and sung Ian. Congrats on your first AVoYP. You missed out the whistling bit though! :smiley:
Could perhaps be improved slightly by emphasising the ‘push’ chord change at the end of each bar to up the dynamic a little.

1 Like

Glad to hear you are recovering well, Ian. Enjoyted the relaxed easy strumming and your singing of the song. Look forward to you joining an OM in future.

Hello Ian, that was very enjoyable :blush:. And wow, on doing it one take/first take :hushed:. That’s something, I’m not able to do :face_with_peeking_eye:.
Congratulations on your first AVOYP :clap::+1::smiley:. I’m looking forward to hearing more from you :hugs:.

1 Like

Good to see your health is coming back bIan, definitely a good profress made and I am sure with even more practice you will nail this piece down :wink:

1 Like

Yeah bring it on bro !! Selective viewing at the moment but worth a visit. May have to tame the levels a little to stop the bleed but overall a solid cover of an old classic Ian but shoot I’sa man of that era ! No brownie points for polishing the profile pics, the oldun was fine !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Dude, laid back and well executed. Your voice suited the song really well.

Looks like that motorcycle injury isn’t going to hold you back any longer.

1 Like

That was really really good Ian. Great job and a very enjoyable listen!

1 Like

Thanks Gordon. The push. I knew I was missing something!

Cheers Toby! I’m trying a technique i saw while browsing this site a day or two ago, of turning the input volume down, then slapping an EQ on in OBS to bring it back up again, early trials seem to indicate this could help eliminate clipping.

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Ian.

A very enjoyable version of the song. Glad to see that your left hand it getting better. It didn’t look like you were having any problems fretting.

Thanks Stefan! I’m very pleased that I’m now able to fret barre chords and power chords with near enough full strength, the problem now is the pain that develops when playing for more than a few minutes at a time. I’m working on building stamina in my left hand by including barres in my practice routine, and I have recently doubled the time on them, from 2x1 minute to 2x2 minutes

One of my all time favorite songs. I think you did a great job.

1 Like

Hiya
This is really solid rhythmic playing with a proper good vocal too . Nice one :+1:

1 Like

Great job! So happy you are recovering after your injury and can once again play. I really enjoy your vibe and stage presence.

1 Like