My 2 cents…
Tod
[/quote]

@CATMAN62

Is quoting lyrics a copyright breach?

Tod your 2 cents might have to go to Mr Henley

2 Likes

Probably a lot more than 2 cents!!!

I simply did a “cut & paste” from a “Lyrics” website…

Tod

2 Likes

Oh dear they’ll likely be toasts once the Beagles have them in their sights. :scream_cat:

1 Like

Remember back in the day when you’d be debating with your friends about the lyrics to a new song you had heard on the radio because hardly any bands published their lyrics with the “liner notes” in the album? The cafeteria at school hosted some pretty heated arguments over one or two lines!!! What goofballs we all were!!!

Tod

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I think in total we had like 3 covers of Eagles songs overall so far and only one cover sang by @iainism got a copyright strike that banned the video from public access. Once I trimmed out the section it was all good, including @SgtColon singing another Eagles song like 15 mins later in the same clip :rofl:

4 Likes

So <insert adjective here> that it can never be repeated?!

:joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

It must have been because I did mine in a different key. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. :rofl:

3 Likes

This is so sad. We were excited to do an Eagles tune for this OM. We finally found one in our vocal range. :frowning_face: Such a petty move, I’m sure teaching others to play their songs cost them a fortune. :roll_eyes:

Interesting.

I have Shazam app which is well known I am sure to you all, which identifies a song if the sound is fairly clear, haven’t used it much seems work quite well. Obviously YouTube or whoever has a bit of software many orders of magnitude better. But then what does it do after it has recognised a song, go to a list to decide ok, claim or strike or does it take into account the quality and length of the post. Does anybody know.

I suppose the odd thing is that it has just happened to Justin, some of his covers must have been up a long time.

Michael

It’s not the same thing.

YT takedowns are because someone distributed (posted on YT) the video without permission or a licence.

Justin DID have a licence to publish the TABs on his website and the songs in his app. I believe he paid for these distribution rights.

But this license was temporary and the publisher has now decided to revoke it.

It would not surprise me if Mr Henley decided that people were having too much fun and getting too much benefit from learning and performing his songs…

Cheers,

Keith

I’m sure Laryne can corect me if I’m wrong.

Justin pays for the right to have TAB on the website and songs in the App.

Such a system is not in place for youtube tutorials.

For many years Justin avoided Eagles lessons due to the legal enforcement surrounding their music.

Only in the last one or two years - having noticed other people teaching their songs, did he dip his toe in the water.

The video that got a copyright strike and a warning was not even a video lesson but one of those 30 second Youtube shorts which Justin uses on socials to promo the lesson.
The decision to instantly remove all content was taken. 3 strikes means Youtube can close the channel.

3 Likes

I think people are looking at this all wrong. Justin Teaches ear training and is a real advocate of transcribing. This is the perfect time to learn something on your own without being spoon feed. If you are truly a student of Justin’s put your skills to work and do your best to Transcribe as many Eagle song as you can and post them on Youtube.

Malik @Majik
Thanks for the clarification, shows how little I know about the subject.
Michael

1 Like

Rick @stitch
You make a good point however not all of us have or developed the skills to transcribe. Really only comes in to any extent in Grade 3 which I am about to start. I have a few false starts at ear training, I tested myself on the app again the other day and failed miserably, so not looking good. However at a recent OM when I was listening but not watching I did identify the chords and key that was being played, as mentioned in my LL, so all might not be lost.
Michael

1 Like

Anyone who is far enough into their guitar journey to learn Hotel Californian, Desperado or Tequila Sunrise should be far enough along their journey to at least have started to transcribe songs.

Your half way there then. :grinning:

1 Like

HEY, my Ziggy is half beagle! :rofl:

I do understand the overplaying of certain songs. It’s why, for the most part, I change the radio station when a few particular Beatles songs comes on.

I wonder if Jackson Brown hits Henley with a copyright strike every time he plays Take It Easy. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Rich @stitch
On your first point, not really looked at these songs but was aware they were far from straight forward.
Second point, really hope you are correct that it is starting to come together. Actually I am looking forward to the transcribing lessons in grade 3.
Michael

1 Like

I was going to make the same point. It’s great advice to learn to transcribe and play by ear…in the long run.

But the average beginner or even intermediate student is not going to be able to do it overnight.

1 Like

True, but that would require listening to the song a lot, which would require paying Mr Henley for the privilege.

In normal circumstances I am totally in favour of paying artists for their music but, in this case, I will give it a miss.

Cheers,

Keith

P.S. I do have a fingerstyle version of Desperado I’m working on gradually, but if it wasn’t in a book of other music I had already purchased, I wouldn’t be making an effort to find a lesson or to transcribe it.