Don’t Dream It’s Over Crowded House cover

Hi and Happy New Year to all my fellow Justineer’s.
Well this is my first recording for 2023 using my new TC-Helicon Play Acoustic.
The FX are still a work in progress but I love this new pedal.
I have also added a drum track using garage band to create a backing track and then adding the track to my song sheet in OnSong, the App I use for all my song sheets. Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated.
Cheers
Ron

18 Likes

That sounded great, Ron.

I think you already have a good feel for getting the most from the PA. I thought the use of the vocal harmony in the chorus worked really well. Guitar sounded good to me.

If you were at a live gig would you be pushing the drum backing through your PA via OnSong? Pretty nifty if you can do that.

That said, my personal preference would be for you to be performing solo, without that drum beat. As I say, my personal preference, as I love the simplicity of one acoustic guitar/piano and a singer, rather than adding backing tracks, be it drums or a fuller backing that you play over.

I suppose that would also depend on the venue and nature of the evening. I’m also OK with a full BT and electric guitar with a one man band rocking in a more raucus environment.

What would work for me, when appropriate, could be a looper pedal to lay down the rhythm portion while singing, and then engaging looper playback to play a solo. But that takes things way beyond rubbing circles on the tummy while patting the head to get all the looper footwork in oder while playing and singing.

Wish you well for another succesful year of music-making.

3 Likes

Thank you David.
I personally like the low key drum track on some songs, this being one of them.
I connected my iPad headphone jack out directly the yeh aux on the TC then it it mixes nicely and went straight into my scarlet(of PA). OnSong has great features like that.

2 Likes

This song brings me pleasant memories, I like it. And you nail it, bravo :clap: :raised_hands: :+1:

1 Like

Ron, I love Crowded House, and that was to my mind outstanding. I’ve paid money to hear a lot worse. I was particularly impressed with your chord placement and rhythm. Very well done sir! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thank you Jose. It is great when a song moves emotions. I am so pleased you enjoyed it and thank you for the feedback. :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, thx Ian. High praise indeed. I really appreciate the encouraging feedback.
Cheers
Ron

1 Like

After all, music is all about feelings :slightly_smiling_face: I’m looking forward to listening to your next cover Ron. Best wishes for this new year it just started :+1: :raised_hands::notes::point_up:

1 Like

I really liked that, Ron, thought the drum track was at a nice level so as not to overpower the guitar and vox, but it did add a little something. And I loved the harmony vocals. I’d be shushing my table to be able to listen if you started playing at a coffee house or open mic. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you Mari.
I am hoping this year to get a regular gig in a coffee shop or small wine bar.
I have been slowly building up my covers list and now have over 120 songs I am happy to choose from. Getting the new TC-Helicon Play Acoustic was my last bit of gear to be ready. (My wife laughs every time I say…”but it’s the last thing I need…”:joy:.
Cheers
Ron

2 Likes

That’s great Ron! I’m working on having a list of songs I can play - for someone else to sing! - and the 120+ you have seems to me a great number so that if you play at the same place a few times you can always sound fresh. Good for you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cool stuff Ron!

Good flow, steady singing, guitar sounds really sweet like sugar!

I thought the vocal harmony in the chorus was perhaps a bit to loud in the mix.
The drum wasn’t crucial but it added an interesting dynamic.

Though, at a certain time I hear the drum to a fill which I think belongs in the end of a bar when you aren’t at the end of the bar; or is it me?

1 Like

Hi Lieven,
Thank you for the great feedback.
I had a listen a few times to harmonies, maybe a small reduction would be good. Though I am still pretty happy with how they sound.
You are right about the drums. Somewhere in there I lost a bar or gained a bar or two which did throw out the drum fills. :joy:
Practice practice and more practice to tighten up before I try in a live gig.
Cheers
Ron

Always an absolute pleasure listening to your covers Ron. Great version and just easy listening. As a fellow Aussie, I grew up on this music.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Cheers Shane. Thank you for the encouragement.
The old Crowded House sure did some nice songs.

I think you can grab an audience without the drums anyway but it’s a nice touch

Indeed, it sounded good overall.

1 Like

That was great Ron very professional sounding to me especially with your new gadget, and a great song choice :wink: all the best

1 Like

Thank you Adrian.
Love getting the feedback and I really appreciate the comments.
Cheers
Ron

You cannot beat a bit of Crowded house and I thought you did an excellent job of the song.

Did you have some effect on your vocal Ron? Normally to my ears your voice is really nice but this one it sounded a little artificial. Maybe it’s just my laptop speakers though, so ignore my comments if that’s the case.

1 Like

Hi Stefan,
Yep I am trialing a new FX pedal. TC-Helicon Play Acoustic.
Still trying to find the best presets to use for various songs.
It was mainly on the chorus that you could hear it.
You have good ears :ear::smiley:
Cheers
Ron

1 Like