Early Morning Rain - Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

I know that I have been pretty AWOL on recording my practice and following the AVOYP thread. But with the passing of Gordon Lightfoot, I thought I should break out the old 12 String and do one of his songs. Early Morning Rain - Gordon Lightfoot Cover

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing this one, Mark!

I enjoyed it a lot and it really reminded me what a great musician Gordon was. Definitely need to dig a little deeper into his records again. :slight_smile:
That’s a very nice 12-string you have there, by the way.

Thanks Lisa, the guitar was given to me a few years ago. It had been damaged and had a new top and back. It was my first luthier project to put on a new bridge and other minor fixes.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Find myself playing Read My Mind every day, such a wonderful artist! I also went out and bought a bunch of Gordon’s vinyl recordings and am listening to them everyday.

Like the saying goes, sometimes you don’t know what you have 'till it’s gone. Lucky for us his music lives on!

Mark, thanks for sharing a nice Gordon Lightfoot song.

Thanks Roch,

I have been working on the fingerstyle version of If You Could Read My Mind for some time. I wanted to do that one instead, but didn’t think it was quite ready.

Thanks John.

Mark,
I’m a newbie and that’s what I’ve been working on. Such a beautiful song. He really lays it out there!

I know, trying to strum at the speed he does is quite challenging.

Agree, I started at 60 bpm and I’m up to about 100 now :joy:. But the song is great at any Speed.

1 Like

Forgot to mention I’m a long way from trying to tackle anything on a 22 string. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love that song, and you’ve done a very nice cover. Sometimes the most well known of an artist’s songs can get overplayed. Not this one, definitely, it’s timeless IMO.

I really enjoyed this one Mark, thanks for sharing.

I don’t know much of Gordon’s work, so I think I need to check out more of his stuff.

Really enjoyable version Mark. Well played and sung.
I’ve always known this song but didn’t realise it was a GL song.

Well done, Mark
You reminded me of a number of things that contribute enjoyment of the listener:
First and foremost- song choice! Cool :sunglasses:
Simple strumming in steady rhythm trumps fancy rhythm changes and embellishments all the time, if they are not spot on. Combine that with a vocal that is in tune and you have a winner right there.
A lovely tribute to a fine artist that I also don’t know enough of. Bravo!

Hi Mark,
Nice playing,and liked the rhythm a lot :clap: :sunglasses:
Greetings

Well done Mark!!
Great played and very nice vocal!!
Thanks for shearing :grin:

@Mari63 @SgtColon @sairfingers @brianlarsen Thanks, Gordon wrote the song, but it was first performed by a Canadian due Ian & Sylvia in 1965. Peter, Paul, & Mary had a hit with it the same year which I think this version most people know. Gordon released his in 1969 I believe. Here is a live version. Early Morning Rain

@roger_holland Thanks Rogier, I slowed it down just slightly from the original. He keeps up a tempo that was wearing out my arm. :sunglasses:

@tRONd Thanks Trond!

2 Likes