Experimenting with my OBS Scene config

Had an idea to try something out in OBS, thinking ahead to how I may setup for next week’s Community OM.

I think I’ll say no more, other than to wish the performance had been a little better, but at least the Copyright Check on YT failed ie it recognised the song’s melody, which for me is always encouraging, given my notorious propensity to ‘adapt’ melodies ie butcher them :laughing:

Would love to hear thoughts about the sound of this recording, what works and doesn’t. Then can share details for any who may be interested.

Thanks

15 Likes

I’ve submitted a bug ticket because it damned well should have! Sounds great!

1 Like

Thanks Rob. I need to re-word. It failed in that it recognised the song and copyright holder will run ads and claim all income. Not that they’ll make much on my unlisted video :laughing:

1 Like

Well David, I don’t even know what you mean by OBS so I can’t comment on that aspect of your post.
What I can say is I think that was your best ever vocal performance. Really good.
Your guitar play was simple and to the point. The guitar tone sounded good to me. A perfect accompaniment to your song. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks Gordon.

Just for interest, OBS is the program I use on my PC to record video. The image provided by a webcam and the sound comes via my audio interface. And there is no DAW software involved, like Reaper. So intended to be simple, quick and easy (once setup) to make a live video.

Appreciate the compliments on the performance and guitar tone.

David

What are you doing different ? DI from AI into OBS or taking the OBS ASIO route ?
Whatever you are doing the levels all sound good and clear, So if ASIO are you using the OBS FXs? Are you planning on using the virtual cables OBS to Zoom ?

Is the video recorded in OBS ? My thoughts are that they are, as there is no perceivable latency or sync issues between the audio and video. I would suggest a Zoom test if this is not. Record the video and audio from OBS there and double check latency and sync, as that would emulate the OM environment.

Sorry lots of questions but thinking of the some of the issues I have experienced and hoping you will avoid them.

At least you are ahead of the game ! Have the song, not decided on which guitar and may be going the full PlayAcoustic route into the AI and video from OBS. Decisions decisions!

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Sound is good David through laptop speakers. Even better through hp. I like that you’re picking up the subtleties of your voice. Rose guitar… a subjective preference, I’d like to hear more bass, but that’s how I am, I always want more cowbell :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hey David,

To my novice ears, the sound levels sound spot on perfect to me.
Love your rendition of this song by the way :+1:.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Hey David,

Great performance :blush:. Sounds really nice to my ears.

About the config of OBS, I think you refer to the sound, don’t you? It’s perfect in that aspect.

To comment on something that you might consider for improvement, I would say that the camera angle for recording yourself in daylight might not be the best. I say this because you have that window behind that is a big white light on the frame. However, this is a detail with very little or no importance.

1 Like

Wow David, that was great! I agree with @sairfingers, your best ever vocal performance. Really, really, good. As someone who has looked back and understood your vocal journey, nobody listening to that would have any idea of where you came from.

On the mix. I listened through my AirPods which are usually representative. Vocal / guitar balance was perfect. A touch more bass in the guitar would not go amiss but it’s perfectly fine as it is.

2 Likes

@batwoman @sclay @Rumil @jkahn

Thanks so much for the look & listen, the replies, and such positive, encouraging feedback on the whole deal (playing, singing, and the production).

Maggie, JK: I have the EQ on the guitar at a 12 o’clock position. I will play with that and try a low boost and a high cut.

Edgar, you are right. Normally I would position the camera differently to try and minimise the back-lighting. For this series of experiments I wasn’t too worried and it was easier to have it setup in that position.

3 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Guitar/Vox->PlayAcoustic->AI (Gtr Ch1, Vox Ch2)->OBS

I used the ASIO input to select a channel from the AI.

I put a limiter on each audio source in OBS

The big difference was trying to make use of the Haas Effect to get more width/stereo on the guitar.

I created two audio sources for guitar in the scene that were connected to the AI Ch1. Then used Advanced Audio Properties to pan left and right. Added a Time Delay Adjustment Reajs filter on one of the audio sources. Finally tweaked the gain in the OBS Audio Mixer of both those channels.

End result was me hearing the guitar panned a little left of centre and an echo in the right with vox dead centre.

Listening again I think the guitar on left needs to be a little softer. Still some more tweaking to get what I am looking for. But the results were positive, show some potential. So I will play around a little more with this. Just having some fun with it.

Yes

Yes. OBS Virtual Camera as camera in Zoom and the Virtual Cable from OBS to Zoom for audio.

I’ll do that next Sat.

No worries, appreciate it

Have fun in the week. Sure it will turn out good

1 Like

Following with interest David.
I’m using OBS & Zoom for online things and my head occasionally explodes with things called inputs and things called outputs and my general lack of overall understanding.
:exploding_head:

1 Like

Do it early and make sure you have a Plan B. :rofl: I still experience sync issues when pushing audio and video to Zoom via OBS. I got the PA up and running late yesterday evening and dropped a handful of OBS vids into YT while I tweaked levels and balance. Eventually drew a line at -7ish db. Will Zoom test tonight and if needs be use that -250ms latency offset, mentioned in dispatches a while back, who knows maybe I’ll be lucky.

A thought, from the PA as you sending 2 distinct outputs, Gtr & Vox ? I set up as Stereo last night as it was first time using both together. I assume to former and an ASIO IC for each ?

Thanks for the info on the ASIO/OBS tweaks, certainly made things sound a little fuller or flatter. If I get stability I might do some similar experiments.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

That was great David quality was bang on to me really best sounding production from you so far. Those settings are definitely a keeper :wink: I double what Toby suggested check if you don’t have a delay to zoom from obs earlier than on Saturday, it always causes me a headache and last time I needed to slightly change my plans because of it.

1 Like

Sounding good to me David (for what my opinion’s worth!! :wink: ).
I agree with other’s comments that was a really nice and subtle vocal performance with great clarity in the lyrics.

1 Like

David

Just a thought what setting do you have the guitar at in PA. I found the acoustic pre-amp was getting a bit overwhelmed and had to back it off to negate the buzzing and crackles, I then set the Gtr level in set up to 11db. Does that sound about right ? Think I will split vox and gtr, which means I can actually adjust the level on the AI, which might lead to a finer balance. Or at least a quicker way of adjust ! :rofl:

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

Very nice David, to me the clarity was very good! I’ve heard quite a few recordings from you and could honestly say that this sounded better than before; the main thing is the clarity and separation, things are more lifelike rather than messed about with.
As for the song, I’ve definitely heard it before and you made an excellent job of it, :+1::+1::+1: from me!

1 Like

I’m actually a bit disappointed :slightly_frowning_face:
I mis-read this as experimenting with your obscene config :rofl:
FWOW- vox & balance spot on. Guitar a little bright for my taste, but that’s personal.
We don’t usually wear hats for rehearsals.

Jus’ messin’. Good stuff David. Keep it up :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi David,

That was great.

You have obviously learnt a bit about OBS.

I have just recently set it up on my old MacBook Pro. Hoping to get my head around it for improved Zoom live steaming. Might need to pick your brains if that is ok?

Cheers

Ron