FAO all members re: uploading & creating topics in the AVOYP section

Dude said to ‘learn songs’ :roll_eyes: :laughing:

On a practical note, where do actually add the tag? in the ‘title’ box?

Learn songs … and share them on the internet :joy:

You can’t add tags yet, only mods can right now.

1 Like

Hi Richard, thanks a lot for doing this load of extra work :hugs::+1:.

Hi Richard, Thanks for this great service to the JG community. I noticed that you were making some edits to some of my AVOYP posts but couldn’t see what was changed. I can see now that you have been busy. This will really be helpful as I add more videos and track down other’s videos.

Thanks for all your work on this @Richard_close2u a great little feature. Though you did make me think I was more popular than I actually am when I logged in and saw 46 new messages. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@SgtColon Stefan, when you see all those new messages, in notifications I assume, take note of the icon. That will show you if it was a reply or an edit, like etc and who was responsible. Apologies if I am missing the point and jumping to poor conclusions.

You’re right David, it was notifications. I just got over excited when I saw the white 46 in the blue circle. Then you click on it and just see that Richard has been a busy bee. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi all.
A brief update.

Basically, not much is going to change.
I shall re-write our AVOYP eitiquette shortly and we are going to do a little analysis on usage / posting etc.
I am also continuing to do a little retrospective editing where it seems suitable.

Keep doing what you do.
:slight_smile:

6 Likes

@Richard_close2u
With regards to the grouping of AVoYP posts when tidying the house up would it be better to group the original songs together? It would be nice to have a topic or thread specific to originals as it’s always nice to check them out and sometimes you may miss one when they are first posted.

@Socio
We had considered that when opening the community up last year.
At that time we decided a simple and streamlined set of sub-categories was the best option.
Whether we will add in an originals section is perhaps a question to revisit.
@DavidP @LievenDV

2 Likes

Adding new sections only works if people actually use them. For example I’ve noticed in the past few months there are more and more posts in the uncategorized section and not just from new users. People are getting sick of going thought the endless categories finding the sub category to post in. So they just post in the uncategorized section knowing Richard will move it.
I don’t know how Richard has time to do anything other than clean up the forum.

2 Likes

My two cents is that I think that having a single AVOYP plus the safe space works well. Are multiple tags possible? A “cover or original” tag could filter it the way James would like to without splitting the section. Of course that could lead to tags by artist and genre that could be very burdensome to maintain and use. The “original” and “cover” tags could go just after the no-tags in the drop-down list.

1 Like

The problem is we don’t have 2 there are 5: AVOYP, Playing Live, Introduce Your Band, Guitar Challenge and The Beginners Safe Space (which is just a post that’s been pinned) and now people are posting covers in Uncategorized.
Byron (Bytron88) has now started posting Lessons in AVOYP and not under his personal thread where is it all going to end.

1 Like

This is probably one area where Discourse kind of falls down.

The good thing about the old community (built using SMF), was latest posts also showed what section/board any posts had been posted to, so you had an idea what they were about, whereas Discourse only shows the thread title.

There was also the benefit you could add links to your post footer, so people could quickly see what you had done (I was on the old forum earlier checking some dates, and most people had footers with links to their own showcase/progress threads).

There was also the separate boards for AVOYP, and Critiquing.

I think I’d prefer to see users encouraged to have a single continuous thread for the majority of stuff, with individual threads for anything they particularly want feedback on.

However as with any thing like this, it’s a case of seeing what works, and tweaking as things evolve. I certainly don’t think any major changes are needed at the moment.

So does the new forum if you check Latest or Unread. Under each thread it tells you what category the post was made in. Richard has also started tagging AVOYP with the persons username

Verging a bit off-topic into a more general thing, I’ve mostly been using the Latest option to see posts, but having just had a look at the landing page, it does appear to just be a relatively random mashup of categories.

Is it possible to somehow split everything up into more organised topics, a bit more like how the old forum had the home page split in to categories?

I know some those categories then have various sub-categories, and I don’t feel creating more sub-categories would be necessary, but the current list just feels a bit disorganised.

I’ve just had a quick look through some of the sections, and I’d make the following suggestions-
Social and Community Hub could be merged. You could argue they cover different things, but I don’t feel the general topics are that different.
Ditch Uncategorized. A quick scan of the threads in it, and I think most could be moved to other categories.
Community Issues - move to a sub-cat of Community Hub
Merge some of the Gear related categories. There is Gear & Tools Talk, Guitars Amps & Effects, and Production, which could all be a single category.
Rename Playground. I guess it was created for the initial move over, but 99% of the headings look like it’s for the discussion topics for the main site content. I have no issue with that, but I feel Playground isn’t a good title for that content.

That’s just from a quick look around.
The current layout and categories has the feel a lot were created for the new site being developed and some categories copied from what was on the old forum, but then nobody has taken a step back and actually questioned why there are all these different categories.
I think those in charge could do with spending some time looking at the big picture, rather than the smaller stuff, as I can quite easily see why anybody new to the community posts in the wrong place. It’s a bit of a minefield if you’re not coming directly from a lesson page, and you don’t want to post about a specific lesson.

1 Like

The other problem with forums is when people go off topic and the original subject gets lost. :wink::woozy_face::joy:

1 Like

I know some mods get upset about that kind of thing, but I have a much more Laissez Faire approach to these things.
Sometimes it’s good to let discussions verge off-topic, as it gives a much more relaxed feeling, and users often feel more inclined to comment, rather be worried about posting something and getting reprimanded for it.

The big exception for me would be on something like a lesson specific thread, but on something like this where feedback is wanted, sometimes it’s worth using it as the basis to discuss other options.

Hi Richard,

I had noticed all the edits lately. You are doing a great job keeping us organized. I was hoping the end of the post would not say hey you posted too many videos and are now cut off. I sure post a lot of them. Some are decent while others are rotten tomato worthy. Thanks for the explanation.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - I know I had intended sending you a direct massage aftrr the edits but think I may have faed to do so.