Favorite Guitar Related YouTube Channels?

How come the genre is ā€˜Metal Headsā€™? Why didnā€™t ā€˜Tin Foil Hatsā€™ take? * :laughing:

• this is a joke, a complete and utter joke that I think is ok within the bounds of etiquette here. I sure hope so.

addendum: I did play some Iron Maiden, Judas Priest & Ozzy back in the day.

Yes. I came to Dave Simpson first a while ago through his thorough analysis of Peter Green and Rory Gallagher styles which is exactly where my head is at. Found Cici through Dave and she is an amazing bass player and such a likeable and genuine character. It is good to see the videos of their Trioā€™s live performances

PS: ā€œsuch a likeable and genuine characterā€ ā€¦ as is Justin of course.

Already a lot of great suggestions above. A couple more from me:

Jon McLennan: Best person to teach blues songs Iā€™ve found. If he has a lesson on a song Iā€™m looking for, Iā€™ll learn from him.

Active Melody: Best channel to learn ā€˜properā€™ blues. His teaching is super detailed in terms of blues theory and its applications. Great resource for improvisers.

The reason I use the brave browser. I sometimes even use the ā€œNew Private Windowā€ feature. I have blocked all third party cookies and bots etc. Also it can connect via Tor and other cool stuff. - But like Justin is making this kind of content for free, we all can help in the same direction in many ways. Instead of fighting those overlord, we find our way and support Justin and others the best we can. Eventually it will work out and the overlords will crumble, as if not, we all will suffer greatly. - And thnx for a great post overall, as you wrote many good points there :+1: :sunglasses:

And some others:

12tone: Music theory with a fun, unique concept

Adam Neely: Great bass player and amazing musician. Great videos about general musicianship.

Aimee Nolte Music: Another great musician and pianist with good videos on musicianship.

Anyone Can Play Guitar: A super down to earth, great guitar player to learn songs from. Obsessed with teaching songs exactly how they are originally played.

Ariel Posen: An inspiring slide player.

Ben Eller and Bernth: Great channels for shredders.

Blues Jams: Live recordings of blues jams around London. Must watch for aspiring jammers.

Charles Berthoud: Probably the best bass player alive.

Domi & JD Beck: Unbelievable modern music players with a jazz background. Thank me later.

Fernando Ufret: A great acoustic player and singer with good lessons.

Ichika Nito and Tim Henson: Modern guitar virtuosos.

Jacob Collier: Best musician alive taking western music to new heights in front of our very own eyes. Modern Bach but probably more talented.

JustinGuitar: I heard that his lessons are the best.

JustinGuitar Songs: Above guy teaches songs here.

mikedawesofficial: Probably the best acoustic guitar player alive.

NPR Music: Great little concerts from modern talent.

Sarah Jeffery: Another incredible musician and recorder player.

Tim Pierce Guitar: A great, great session player. Another great one to learn songs exactly correctly.

TomoFujitaMusic: A great guitar teacher from Berkeley college of music. His style is very inspiring to me.

Yvette Young: Another modern virtuoso. Master of alternate tunings.

1 Like

Dead Wax is a great YT where musicians break down songs. The folks on the channel are so stoked about music. Iā€™m a beginner and appreciate that they highlight and define music terms mid-conversation.

Rob Scallon for guitar shenanigans.

Tomo Fujita for his life lessons.

Lots of How To & Song lesson channels. I get distracted easily.

I sometimes watch Larissa liveir. Plays left and right handed. Beautiful smile makes me smile. Also very pretty

For theory I really like Gracie Terzian. She also has an excellent video about singing and playing at the same time which really worked for me (when unusually Justinā€™s didnā€™t).

1 Like

I rarely cruise you tube for tutorials, after all, I have Justin!
But there is one guy whose style is remarkably similar to Justinā€™s. Check out Shut Up and Play.ca
Whenever I need a second take on a song, or Justin has not done a video, I check out this guy. Sorry, I do not know his name.

His name is Andy https://www.shutupandplay.ca/lesson-index.html I agree with you Robert he has some of the best lessons on the internet.

Guys, I donā€™t know about using a site hosted by Justin, taking into account all the free content he provides, and using it to promote his competitors.

It feels a bit off to me.

2 Likes

Given weā€™ve had 2 official guides/moderators contributeā€¦ Justin doesnt operate in a vacuum

The objections above I understand apply only to channels with similar content than JustinGuitar that can be seen as competitors.

Justin has made enough high quality lessons and song tutorials to keep me busy for some years ahead and heā€™s still making more.

Some were lucky to find JustinGuitar lessons right away, others found it after unsuccessfully trying other options.

I think Justin has a clear path of what he wants to cover in his lessons and what can help most students to learn to play guitar.

I think that after checking what else is out there most people will probably go back to JustinGuitar as their main learning resource.

Having in mind that and that I end watching a video more because the subject than the channel I want mention these YT channels:

Skyguitar for finger picked tunes including many classical ones. No name, face or talk, just the guitar, the hands, the stave and the tab.

Swiftlessons for some song tutorials. I like the bass lines he uses for the songs although Iā€™m not ever able to play them from the video.

I would like to add:

Scott Fichter for OBS stuff. Iā€™m not using OBS, but itā€™s still interesting learning about script based enhancements and other possibilities.

1 Like

Angela is a good one! Justin follows her on Insta so sheā€™s gotta be good. And she is!

1 Like

Justin is the best for structured guitar lessons. I wish live teachers would take that same approach, but I havenā€™t found one yet. I like GuitarZero2Hero for song tutorials - heā€™s my first go to for any song. He shows tabs, chord shapes and steps through the instructions very clearly. I sometimes get a bit lost on Justinā€™s song tutorials, because thereā€™s no tab.
For entertainment value, definitely Rick Beato, and Paul Davids, although they are often way over my head.
One of my favourite internet guitarists is Justin Johnson. Blues, slide guitar and original arrangements of rock songs.

1 Like

Completely agree! I feel like her overall teaching style is closest to Justinā€™s. Really easy to follow.

Justin gives structure to learning. Steady progress guaranteed if you put in the effort and follow his advice.

Occasionally itā€™s nice to look in others areas for inspiration/stimulation or something challenging.
In addition to previous suggestions, I found the following sites useful. Most donā€™t offer online courses but all post helpful utube clips.

Richards guitars - a nice explanation of scales and modes within the Major scale. Heā€™s a real character too.
Ricky Cominsky (School of Rock) - his site was a great help in learning fret layout, chord structure and minor scale positions. Lots of diagrams and a couple of brilliant acronyms that cover fret layout Circle of fifths and notes chords.
Jules Guitar - I love his country riffs, mixing Maj, minor, blues scales, all with tabs. Mostly beyond my speed abilities but I keep plodding away. Itā€™s fun.
Stichmethod on utube - has some great examples of how to navigate minor scale (never lost) , lots of soloing ideas but often past my current playing level.

Three which I donā€™t think have been mentioned, and maybe go under the radar.

Absolute Blues Guitar - Not just blues, the brilliant Bobby Harrison.

JazzGuitarOnline - For those wishing to get a bit more into jazz guitar, straightforward and knocks on the head the idea that jazz is ā€˜difficult or complicatedā€™.

Alan Robinson - Mainly strumming songs, a lot of which are difficult to find lessons for. Great, easy to follow graphics for learning the songs, a top man and nice guy to chat with.

Ola (he seems a fun guy and his bits are funny) and Rick Beato for sure. Marty and Carl for learning songs.

I dont subscribe to many channels so i randomly end up on channels that are entertaining, mostly around gear reviews and etc. and i like to watch amateur covers or songs iā€™m tryin to learn, but again, pretty much randoms out there.