Favorite Guitar Related YouTube Channels?

Hmmmmm…

Gotta go against the crowd here, at least a little bit on the subject of algorithms. a couple of years ago, someone told be about Paul Davids & I was watching some of his videos when YouTube started pushing this guy - I think his name was Justin - at me… that’s how I found Justin’s song tutorials which led to the website which led to this Community!
Same thing with my favorite guitar brand, D’Angelico. I had heard of John D’Angelico & his amazing Jazz guitars but to purchase one is well out of just about anyone’s budget. I found them absolutely beautiful & the sound was fantastic, but not worth $50,000 or more for a playable instrument. One day, while looking at Gibson ES-335s online, up pops an ad for a D’Angelico Excel 59 that at the time was still out of my price range (so was the Gibson but we can still dream, right?) but I put it in my mental wish list. Now, I have a couple of examples of D’Angelicos & LOVE them. Never would have known about the brand being resurrected if not for those pesky little bots crawling all around the ethernet like flies on … yes they’re annoying but they DO have their uses. Any time I cruise music online, it’s pretty rare for me to ignore that musical group that pops up without giving them a short listen if they look interesting. I’ve found some GREAT stuff that way!

Looking through the names above, I have seen most of them, but there are quite a few I will definitely check out! One I didn’t see that I enjoy is Marco Cirillo who does fingerstyle quite beautifully! :star_struck:

What I dislike the most is the pop-up ads imbedded in the middle of the videos… you’ve got your guitar in your hands & are really getting into playing along to the song/lesson & all of a sudden here’s a loud, annoying ad for some brand of snacks or fast food place you would never patronize anyway! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Anyway, good thread, lots of fun!

Tod

I’ll preface this by saying I didn’t realize how much content, free and otherwise, Justin has here on his site. I’m a happy annual app subscriber and only disccovered the additional lessons after finding the other YouTube site.

I decided I wanted to learn fingerstyle. Specifically, though not necessarily only, Travis style picking. GoodGuitarist has a fabulous introduction video on that. I watched it, understood it, and enjoyed the teaching style. I bought his fingerstyle course.

Exactly two days later I discovered Justin had a free course with about an hour of content on the same subject.

I don’t regret the decision though. I’m learning a ton and finding that both courses and styles (picking and fingerstyle) are complimenting my learning. My chord transitions and rhythm have improved dramatically since incorporating both.

Long-winded, I know, but so far GG is good. And Justin’s resources are even more vast than I suspected.

1 Like

I thought I would necro-post in this old thread to highlight a Youtube Channel I’ve been aware of and dipped into a few times over the last several months, but that I find myself watching more regularly in recent weeks.

John Nathan Cordy is a British guitarist who has been running a Youtube channel for a few years. He does a lot of the things that some other Youtube guitar channels do, including gear reviews, the odd lesson, and commentary, but I think he has a unique style and a very British (dry) sense of humour.

His videos are also quite interesting as they document his opinions and journey with various amps, pedals, and modelling systems for both recording and gigging use (as well as his opinions on guitars). He seems to have a very humble approach and embraces both digital modelling and valve amps.

But, more than that, he is an incredible guitar player and starts every video with a short guitar jam over backing tracks he has created, and they are all really good.

In recent weeks he has had compliments/shout-outs from That Pedal Show, The Studio Rats, and Rhett Shull amongst others.

So I recommend checking his channel out, even if it’s just for the tasty playing!

Cheers,

Keith

7 Likes

I agree. Great list and Marty & Angela Petrilli really breakdown songs well.
Also Tim Guitar Time is great for contemporary country

1 Like

Nice thread necro work!

Ok some new ones I’ve wandered across…

Sped Spedding - some great info and tutorials on things like Zep and Slash related stuff, well worth a look and listen
https://www.youtube.com/@SpedSpedding

Trog’s channel on (mostly) gibson geekery
https://www.youtube.com/@Trog