Finally overcome by GAS pressure

Happy new guitar day! Sad no more Blue Beast dayā€¦ One single coil and one humbucker guitar could have been sold to the missus as being sensible. Just sayinā€™. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy NGD! That is one gorgeous looking instrument! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Iā€™m obviously biased but thatā€™s stunning David!
Nice loodling as well, canā€™t wait to hear more from you on it :slight_smile:

Thanks all for sharing the moment with me, taking the time to read and comment. I feel ever so fortunate to have such a beautiful instrument ā€¦ sheā€™s got the look, and the feel and sound :grin: ā€¦ to continue my learning and playing.

@dobleA I made this choice not because I was unhappy with the tones on my LP, though I do think the pickups, controls, and electronics are of better quality. but because of the comfort factor in playing that LP for longer periods of time, it weighs in at 11lbs/5kg and the body shape is not built for comfort. This guitar is approx 7lbs/3kg with a body that is shaped for comfort, particularly sitting.

There is a lesson in that. When I bought the LP, I tried the usual suspects viz strat, tele, LP. I gave priority to tone and how it felt to play the guitar. The strat and tele were both more comfortable but not the sound for me. And I didnā€™t appreciate just how big a deal I would later find the comfort issue to be. The weight and body shape didnā€™t seem like a big deal during the short duration of trying out guitars. So my learning is donā€™t compromise on comfort at all, it will haunt you later.

@CT the Blue Beast sure did deliver, no complaints, Clint, and enjoyed that extra little something that came with how you and @batwoman contributed to the naming, Vincent Blue Beast. Not quite the same as having the Greenie LP but fun. Now letā€™s see what may emerge as this lady begins to sing, it does feel like a lady, wo she will be the pronoun of choice.

So as I said in my OP, other styles of guitar with different pickups may lie ahead but for now, I am looking forward to rocking on with this new instrument. I think the first exploration delivered both a cool rhythm and lead tone. So lots of promise.

2 Likes

Happy NGD! Looks lovely, I quite fancy a PRS especially as they have Mr Mayers endorsement!

1 Like

Beautiful guitar, looking forward to hearing it!

1 Like

Wow David, thatā€™s a good looking guitar! Iā€™ve seen your video and sounds really tasty as well, enjoy it!

1 Like

Oh my, any time soon Mr Larsen is going to realise that you have a wibbly wobbly lever.

Shake that trem bar baby.

Hi Brian
@brianlarsen
:wink:

2 Likes

nice looking and sounding guitar, hope it gives you and us many hours of pleasure.

1 Like

Haha, Iā€™m aware Iā€™ve been AWOL recently (inn-keeping for paying guests and freeloaders :laughing:).
Back to Dublin today and another busy week ahead, so unlikely to cause community disruption in the foreseeableā€¦
Jengel Stengel is my preferred term now, and thanks for the reminder. I havenā€™t wiggled it for a while.
Most importantly:
What a beauty of a guitar @DavidP
Many years of happiness/ enjoyment right there :smiley:

3 Likes

That is a really nice guitar David and I never realised PRS is doing semi hollows as well so learnt something new today :grinning: happy NGD and let it serve you well for years to come!

Happy NGD David, well deserved.

couldnā€™t help thinking of this song Roxette - The Look - YouTube

Maybe a good rocker for an AVOYP?

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated

@EndlessRepetition From what I can tell the John Mayer signature guitar would be something special for those into strat style guitars. They look great and have quite a range of colours.

@Richard_close2u @brianlarsen that tremolo arm has more aliases than a master conman on the run :joy: Apart from trying to make musical use of it beyond leaning in on the final note of the loodle, I need to understand what impact it may have on changing the strings.

@adi_mrok They do indeed, Adrian. The Zach Meyers signature has been around a while, was an option when I first started looking at electrics in 2018. They also make a full hollow body, that looks fabulous but was beyond my budget, so never tried it. It has different humbuckers on it and didnā€™t want to hear the guitar and want it when it really was out of my price range. :laughing:

@OpsRes Good catch, Glen, that was what I had in mind when I phrased it that way.

2 Likes

You have now joined the very large group of Ex Les Paul owners. They are just beasts with an uncomfortable design. I always used a strap while playing sitting down.

1 Like

Oh I missed this wonderful NGD!
Sheā€™s a beauty AND a versatile axe!
Hope to see it in videoā€™s soon!

Reading your story, I couldnā€™t help feeling a lot of joy with you.
You bloody EARNED to treat yourself man. Really :wink:

2 Likes

Man thats a gorgeous looking axe, congrats on the new instrument mate!

1 Like

Thanks guys.

@Wheatenterrier as did I Bob, but still as I began to spend longer durations playing the electric this year, there was no getting away from it.

@LievenDV thanks Lieven. The first video is up: First loodle with my new PRS

@RobDickinson thanks Rob, PRS do make guitars that have gorgeous curves, colours, and figuring.

Congratulations David, thatā€™s a great looking guitar.

1 Like

Congrats!

I played one of those last year, and was impressed with the tone both in humbucker mode and coil-split mode.

Enjoy!

1 Like

@RodC @Fast-Eddie

Thanks guys. Having lots of fun exploring tones and playing with the wiggle stick.

Next challenge is a string change with that tremolo system. Thatā€™ll be a first for me.

1 Like