First go at recording - Hazel O'Connor - Will You

Thanks all that helped me figure out how to do this.

27 Likes

Hi Julie,
Sooo, that’s a nice introduction to the AVOYP_section…o, it’s not there yet :grin: ,…but you’ll find it there later :wink:…I enjoyed your performance and your singing is really great :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: … I look forward to more from you, and especially next time some view of your guitar … if that is sound technically possible of course… …
Greetings and thanks for sharing,
Rogier

1 Like

Lovely first AVOYP there Julie, congratulations. Really nice feel to your singing there, as Rogier has said it’s be great to have a wider view so we can see your guitar work. It sounded like a nice mix on the picking and strumming too. Out of interest what is the song? I’m not familiar with it but it’s very cool.

Bravo, looking forward to more from you now you’ve crossed that first hurdle! :clap: :+1:

1 Like

Very nice introduction to the community, a very underrated artist’s song! It was a very moving emotional song, very nicely done. As already said it’s always good to see you and your guitar, but the most important thing has been done - great first post!
For those who don’t know it’s a song by Hazel O’Connor that came off Breaking glass; this is the original:

1 Like

Oh, I love this, Julie. Wonderful song and your interpretation is great. Your voice is lovely and the guitar sounds so mellifluous and rich. As others have said, I’d love to be able to see what your hands are doing there and to see the secret behind the sound you’re creating. Fabulous.

1 Like

Wonderful Julie! I enjoyed that immensely. Congratulations on your first AVOYP post. A moving song, played well, and sung beautifully. More please, when you’re ready. :innocent:

Cheers, Shane.

1 Like

Great stuff Julie, sounded moving and mellow, what a nice performance. Next time as others suggested a wider angle to see your guitar would be appreciated but not mandatory :sweat_smile: all the best!

1 Like

Welcoem to the realm of AVOYP creators :smiley:
goign forward in a steady pace and flow, nice timbre and not the easiest song to premiere with.
Yes, you did well and ofcourse now we want to see more :smiley:

1 Like

You are all so kind! Point taken on angle, guitar shot better than me with my eyes closed…
Been learning 16 months, not made much progress in a while. Thought posting here might improve things.
Many thanks again, I’m aware how far i have to go!

3 Likes

That was great Julie, terrific first AVoYP. The original Hazel O’Connor version contains one of my all time favourite saxophone solos.

You sang it really well and your guitar play sounded good, steady beat with clean chords.

The reason others have suggested that you show us your guitar play is in case you want opinions on that aspect (this is a guitar learning forum after all). Also we can all learn by watching others play too.

Well done,I look forward to the next one.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I’d never heard the song before. It sounded familiar somehow. Your playing was great. I wish I could have watched. You sound as though you’ve been playing a while.

I can’t wait to hear more.

1 Like

Superb debut!
I wore the tape out of this when I was a youngster
At first I thought you were a bit nervous and playing too fast, then realised you play well and were just making it your own :wink:
Dub a saxi in there and you’ll make this crusty’s day :rofl:
Bravo

1 Like

Dub in a sax? Wish i knew how :thinking:
Love that song too, whole Album in fact.

1 Like

Julie that was stunning for what 15 months into your journey. Not heard that in years and I echo Darrell’s comment on the song. Thought you did it real justice. You have great vocals even if a little low in the mix and the playing was pretty solid. A super debut.

As other’s have said a wider shot to include you and the guitar always helps with feed back but to be honest, if folk have 2 working ears they should be more than happy.

So wonderful to see two female AOVYP debuts of great quality, I’ll tag Maggie @batwoman as I am sure she’ll love this.

Looking forward to more Julie, well done :smile:

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

What a marvellous recording you’ve made Julie. You have a lot to be proud of. I’m very much looking forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks Toby, somehow I missed this gem.

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bravo, Julie. I’m late to this party, all that needs to be said has been said. I can just add my voice to the chorus, to the applause and to the wishing for and anticipation of more from you.

1 Like

Hi Julie,

One of my all time favourite songs. (Love the Breaking Glass film too.)

Interesting speeded up version of the original.
Nice vocal which got even better as the song progressed.

Great to hear a classic like this.

Digger

1 Like

Really great first posting Julie, had forgotten about that song. Very nice

1 Like

Excellent. A great song - Breaking Glass with Hazel O’Connor was a firm favourite when the film came out.
I bought a DVD a little while ago.

Would echo comment to bring camera a little further away to include guitar.
Any more from that film ?

:+1:

1 Like

Thanks @GeoffMolyneux :blush: You responded to me a few weeks ago when I was discouraged. This site is good for morale.
Maybe i could have a go at “If Only” but am not sure my vocals are up to that range…

1 Like