First Steps in Blues Improvisation using Minor Pentatonic Scale Pattern 1

@Richard_close2u Richard, thanks for this thread. I just discovered it because it was initially posted before I restarted JG in July 2022. This is a good blues improvisation resource.

1 Like

I use this thread all the time (have a shortcut on my desktop) as it’s such a great resource.

1 Like

The advice to concentrate on licks is really good. I atched the recording of Justin’s live blues lesson and his demonstration of how mechanical sounding soloing over a pattern was, is really eye opening. Luckily,Ive been concentrating on pattern one and two and have started my own lick book. I find recirding what works is really useful. It aids my learning/recall to write each note under the tab

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to going down this road but, I dont really know when would be an appropriate time as a beginner.

R

1 Like

@Libitina Rachel, I think if you just follow the grades you’ll get your opportunity in grade 2 or 3. But you can also have a go at anytime. If still working through grade 1 and 2, I’d say watch out for losing your momentum and give priority to laying the foundation. But if inspired, no harm can come from dipping in.

2 Likes

@Libitina I watched the blues club video with Justin and quickly realized I’m not there yet. I have completed grade 1. This is my 7 month into my journey and I have plenty of techniques and basics I can still improve on so no need to add more for now. Strumming and songs is where I’m putting my focus for now, I do hope to start grade 2 soon. Good luck!

3 Likes

Just get the basics under your belt ,David. I rushed into grade 2 and had to slow down. Strumming and chord changes are key skills. Keep playing songs.

1 Like

Thank you Richard :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Richard,
How do I improvise and play a backing track to the Am pentatonic scale starting at 5-8 to a backing track

Hi Martin. I know this may sound patronising but you need to read this topic from post 1 and use the links to the relevant JustinGuitar lessons contained in my posts.
Cheers
Richard
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes