First Steps in Blues Improvisation using Minor Pentatonic Scale Pattern 1

@Richard_close2u Richard, thanks for this thread. I just discovered it because it was initially posted before I restarted JG in July 2022. This is a good blues improvisation resource.

1 Like

I use this thread all the time (have a shortcut on my desktop) as itā€™s such a great resource.

1 Like

The advice to concentrate on licks is really good. I atched the recording of Justinā€™s live blues lesson and his demonstration of how mechanical sounding soloing over a pattern was, is really eye opening. Luckily,Ive been concentrating on pattern one and two and have started my own lick book. I find recirding what works is really useful. It aids my learning/recall to write each note under the tab

1 Like

Iā€™m really looking forward to going down this road but, I dont really know when would be an appropriate time as a beginner.

R

1 Like

@Libitina Rachel, I think if you just follow the grades youā€™ll get your opportunity in grade 2 or 3. But you can also have a go at anytime. If still working through grade 1 and 2, Iā€™d say watch out for losing your momentum and give priority to laying the foundation. But if inspired, no harm can come from dipping in.

2 Likes

@Libitina I watched the blues club video with Justin and quickly realized Iā€™m not there yet. I have completed grade 1. This is my 7 month into my journey and I have plenty of techniques and basics I can still improve on so no need to add more for now. Strumming and songs is where Iā€™m putting my focus for now, I do hope to start grade 2 soon. Good luck!

3 Likes

Just get the basics under your belt ,David. I rushed into grade 2 and had to slow down. Strumming and chord changes are key skills. Keep playing songs.

1 Like

Thank you Richard :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Richard,
How do I improvise and play a backing track to the Am pentatonic scale starting at 5-8 to a backing track

Hi Martin. I know this may sound patronising but you need to read this topic from post 1 and use the links to the relevant JustinGuitar lessons contained in my posts.
Cheers
Richard
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Richard, with pattern 1 - lick #3, should I be playing the E on the second string whilst Iā€™m still bending the D on the third string, or should I be releasing that bend and then playing the E?

I hope that makes sense?

Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SgtColon Stefan.
You need 3rd finger ready and able to grab the next bend so a silent release is good.
In a different lick context, allowing that bend to ring out when you grab the E can be wonderful as they are the same note, creating a unison sound.

2 Likes

Thank you Richard. Iā€™ll have a play and see how things turn out.

1 Like

Hi Richard. Iā€™m early in learning to play blues and anxious to dig in as this is my favorite genre. Most of the lessons Iā€™ve looked at feature electric guitars. I have a question that maybe deserves its own thread or even lesson: What is different or unique about playing blues on an acoustic versus electric guitar? I imagine blues techniques are used, adapted or emphasized differently on acoustic. Your thoughts? Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™m not Richard and donā€™t have his knowledge, but I have been working on some acoustic blues and have a few thoughts. These are generalizations that donā€™t always hold, of course (nothing ā€œalwaysā€ holds in music, does it?), but they might be useful anyway.

To me the biggest difference between electric and acoustic blues is that electric is usually played in a band context, while acoustic is often played solo. This means that the solo acoustic player will generally have to supply the rhythm together with the melodic part. Often this means fingerstyle playing, where the thumb gets a groove going on the bass strings (with palm muting) and fingers add licks (or a melody line in general) on the 3 highest strings.

In my experience, acoustic fingerstyle blues tends to work with open strings a lot. The keys are quite often E or A, where the open E and/or A strings are used a lot.

On electric (if playing lead), you neednā€™t worry about the rhythm, meaning you can concentrate on the melodic part, most often using a pick. This allows a lot of freedom to move around the neck (very high up the neck sometimes), because you neednā€™t worry about the bass notes.

Bending strings is harder on acoustic and is used much less. The 1/4 bend (blues curl) is very common, but full bends less so. Other forms of articulation (slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs) are common in both electric and acoustic styles.

Muting strings is less important on acoustic, since the sustain is so much less, string noise is generally not an issue.

Ok, these are just some random thoughts about the differences I have noticed. Iā€™ve mostly been contrasting acoustic with lead electric, havenā€™t really mentioned rhythm electric.

3 Likes

Thank you @jjw John for that summary. Full of information, tight and punchy like a good blues solo! It confirms for me why Iā€™m drawn to solo acoustic blues (give me some Bonnie Raitt). I enjoy playing chord melodies and can do passable slides, hammer-ons and pull-offs on my acoustic. Bends and curls are yet to come. Thereā€™s so much to absorb watching videos of the past Blues with Justin club sessions. Back to practiceā€¦

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got the job!
Thatā€™s a great contribution John.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Gee, thanks. Happy to contribute.

1 Like

A nice little one with acoustic setting which you could replicate with a looper

3 Likes

Yes, if you have a jam buddy (or an electro-acoustic guitar and a looper pedal), that opens up more possibilities. In that case, the lead acoustic guitar is much more similar to the lead electric, for obvious reasons.

2 Likes