First YT video ever, me playing Wonderwall :)

Hi all, so this is my cover of Wonderwall by Oasis, or at least part of the song: first two verses, bridge and chorus. Look forward to hearing what you think! PS: I have a very stupid look on my face when I’m focussed :wink:

27 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bravo on posting your first recording, Inge. A moment to be proud of and celebrate.

I thought you did really well. the strumming was steady, chord changes smooth and clean.

I’m afraid beyond me to offer any tips and tricks other than keep on keeping on, the more you play the better it gets.

Oh and nothing worth mentioning re the expression of concentration :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Well done for posting your first AVoYP Inge. :ok_hand:

Wonderwall has a very difficult strumming pattern and I think you did a pretty good job. You did well with the stuck fingers 3&4 chords too.

My advice would be to slow the whole thing down a bit so you can really nail the chord changes and the strum pattern. Then gradually speed things up again.

I look forward to following your progress down the guitar road Inge.

1 Like

Well done Inge and congrats on your first posting. That was very good and definitely recognisable as Wonderwall…which you means I think you got the strumming pattern broadly right (in fact I think mostly right). I play this quite a bit (including live) and one “tip” would be to try on the first chord to strum just the top strings (6,5,4) on the first two downstrums an then do a more full strum on the other…that first chord didn’t sound quite right at the start and I think it’s because you were playing all full downstrums. In all honesty it is just dynamics but it makes quite a bit of difference to how it sounds.

Overall great though and should make you feel good! not the easiest song to play at all.

1 Like

Very well done, Inge. It takes a lot of courage to post your first recording, and you did really well. Not only was it your first recording, wonderwall is often considered as a right of passage for an acoustic guitar player. Therefore, it was a perfect way to begin your recording posts.

2 Likes

This was nicely played, well done!

1 Like

Well played Inge. Easily recognisable and a really good first post. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The first is always the most difficult to share, props to you for doing it!

Now regarding the performance, it sounded really good, clean chords and changes. :slight_smile:

My only “advice” is to think a little bit of something Justin always says: try to be relaxed an get in the “groove”.

It’s always hard to relax and have fun with it ,especially in the beggining, I feel like we get super worried of making any mistake and can get a little bit tense.

But in my short experience recording performances, you loosen up little by little.

Keep it up, this sounded really nice!

1 Like

Well done Inge on your first post showing yourself playing, it was pretty decent, just a few hiccups that’s all and more importantly you were aware of them.
Nothing wrong with showing your concentration, but I would say to slow down a bit, chill a bit and get into the groove of it and gradually build up to speed; accuracy is more important than speed - if you practice errors they will persist!
Interesting to see you play a Lag acoustic, we don’t see many of those - I don’t know why because they are a very nice instrument!

1 Like

Wonderful! Try playing along with the recording as you practice it.

1 Like

Well done Inge and congratz on your first recording, you really did great! Lots of useful tips already given, I know the song but not in that much detail to give you some advice. I enjoyed it and I think you have a good flow, so don’t be shy and don’t hesitate to post more :blush:

1 Like

You are absolutely right, the dynamics is really a thing that needs work and that I struggle with a little. As soon as I focus more on playing bass notes on the first two beats and then strums on the thinner strings as you suggested I lose my pick or mess up the rhythm or something else that makes it sound wonky. Same goes for playing softly first and louder at the right moments. I’m not in ‘ control’ enough yet to manage these things :wink: But thank you so much, because these are the things that really help me.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words, really appreciate it! Yeah, the relaxing part is still a work in progress haha, when I just practice i do relax more, but I was also a bit nervous because this was the first time recording myself playing for all of you guys to see, so my focus face got the better of me haha

1 Like

Thank you, Darrell! You’re absolutely right. Sometimes I get a little impatient and for me this felt like the right song to record as a first AVoYP, because it feels like the only one where I can strum at the right tempo. But now i feel confident to share more often, so I will definitely keep it in mind.

As for the comment on the Lag acoustic, thanks! It is a limited edition that I bought at my local guitar store. It’s a relatively small store and the owner is a great guy who has different brands of guitars every three or four months, that you don’t see at the big company’s, aside from some standard brands like Richwood and Sigmas etc

2 Likes

Hi Inge,

That’s really nicely played, congrats!

1 Like

Hi @Inge_guitar29
Congrats on your first post! Always a big milestone.
I think you’re playing it well. You might want to check out the Justin lesson on this because there’s a nice little run in the chorus that would make it sound even better!
Also, don’t be afraid of singing… I think singing whilst playing can really improve how you groove with a tune. It doesn’t have to sound operatic or anything like that. Wonderwall might not be the place to start though because the rhythm is quite tricky to pair with a vocal.
Anyway, really enjoyed it! Look forward to hearing more from you.
CYPGMB

1 Like

Great job Inge. Very brave! Imagine your playing is being watched in British Columbia, Canada, as well as a bunch of other places around the world. Look forward to hearing more!

Geoff

4 Likes

That sounded really good. Steady consistent strumming and clean chord changes. You should be really proud of your self!

1 Like

Hi Inge, congrats on posting your first recording! You are doing really well, that strumming pattern from Wonderwall is tricky.

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP post Inge. Now we want more. :smiley:

Nice, steady strumming and smooth changes. This isn’t an easy one to master, so a very well done.

1 Like