First YT video ever, me playing Wonderwall :)

Hello, Inge, and congratulations on your first AVOYP performance! That sounded very good. You were a little tense, but some of that is almost certainly from the “red light” anxiety. As far as tips, I’d suggest trying to forget that you’re recording and relax into the song. I know that’s easier said than done. I pretend I’m not recording at all, I’m just putting everything into the song and the moment.

I noticed that you’re strumming pretty much from the wrist. Opinions vary on this, but I’m wondering if you’ve tried strumming more from the elbow (not locking your wrist – it remains relaxed – but much more movement from the elbow)? Personally, I find it easier to get in the pocket and vary dynamics when I strum more from the elbow. That’s not necessarily an either/or thing (it’s not really “just wrist” or “just elbow” – it’s kinda both), it’s just something to consider.

3 Likes

Hi Inge

Well I bet you glad that’s out of the way ! Huge congrats on your first posted recording, loved the concentration. Thought you did really well, RBS can get to all of us. Chord changes were clean and you were very accurate on the strumming pattern or should I say patterns more correctly. Then only advice I can add is to keep the strumming hand going, in that first section don’t stop keep the hand moving during that break. Same with the section where it steps down keep the hand moving as if you were still playing 16th and make contact on between. That will help you stay in the groove when you move on to do the full song, which I assume is the plan.

As to the singing don’t worry about it for now. Focus on the playing and the time for singing will come. Its not easy Singing and Playing And you will have a singing voice you just need to find it and it will need practice just like the guitar. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hello Inge,

Nice to hear your Wonderwall. I thought you did quite well. I went and looked at a couple of your posts, learning of your musical history. Sounds like you are doing well. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Well done on your first YouTube video.

1 Like

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your kind replies and it makes me happy to read that you liked my very first AVoYP!

My local guitar teacher really wants me to focus on making my strumming motions as short as possible, so more from the wrist instead of the elbow. I normally swing quite a lot with the elbow and I never play Wonderwall with him so maybe i should show him the video next time and ask him what he thinks. I completely get your remark, I noticed it as well when i watched it, but I think that it’s more of a coincidence.

1 Like

I’d call your face focussed and beautiful Inge, NEVER stupid. Guitarist’s Face is a trademark of some of the best. :star_struck: There’s a thread here somewhere on that topic. When you sing for us there is also a Singer’s Face, so you’ve got that to look forward to.

Congratulations on your first step into the public arena. You’ve done it well :star2:

2 Likes

@batwoman Go watch @Kasper latest and watch his face not his hands ! All part of playing methinks. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Ha ha, so true… it does look a bit stupid, but (for my part) I simply cannot not do it when I play… especially solos :wink:

2 Likes

Well done on your first film of wonderwall. You are doing better than me. I also am not sure how to get on this forum. Good luck :+1::grinning:

1 Like

Well done!!! Way better than me on wonderwall👍

1 Like

That is very sweet of you, thanks!

1 Like