Follow up topic + Q&As about rules & etiquette in Community Recordings

Glad you’ve been able to air this one Richard. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Well said @Richard_close2u ; it has been a bit frustrating for some, the ‘look at me how good I am’ thing doesn’t go down well with folks if they don’t offer help to those who aspire to their level of skill - give and take is the way to keep this community how it’s always been!

4 Likes

Hi, so I’m building up the courage to post my first video of myself playing. But I’ve noticed that most people also sing whilst playing, which I simply can’t do (probably a good thing as I’m not a good singer). I’m just wondering if it’s ok to be playing along to the song recording instead or is that a no- no?

4 Likes

@ijukes playing along is 100% fine. Go for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course it is Ingrid the instrumentalist :grinning:

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: How does one record a video to upload to Community Recordings?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Will a video upload to AVOYP be hit with a copyright strike?

Thanks, Richard. What does “paying it forward” mean?

@davidbollen
David, I am sure this was picked up from the 2000 film of the same name. Google has this definition which reflects our Community ethos

The simplest way to define “pay it forward” is that when someone does something for you, instead of paying that person back directly, you pass it on to another person instead .

4 Likes

Thanks, David,

I’m still struggling with this notion, but I’m finding that more and more these days. I think it just means being helpful. Someone helps you out, you help someone else out.

Thinking out loud. We can work it out.

Thanks again :+1:

3 Likes

Exactly David, that sums up the Community ethos perfectly

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1:
:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

The community is built on layers and layers of people being helpful and encouraging upwards, downwards, sideways, backwards and forwards and round and round.

8 Likes

That’s the kind of ethos that appeals to me.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am new here and I just saw a few progress videos of others and was hesitant to give feedback.
Is giving ciritsism part of this forum if not specifically asked?

Greetings,

Michiel

@michiel1998 Michiel, without trying to be ‘funny’ would depend on what you mean by ‘criticism’. Feedback on areas to work on to aid improvement and learning is quite OK. One ideally tries to position this to be appropriate to the person’s ability. Other forms of criticism, like you’d prefer the song played a different way for example, would not be appropriate.

4 Likes

I have a question about the rules. I want to make sure that I am not breaking any.

First, is it ok to post a song which is different from those on the list? Nothing offensive. As with all my favorite ballads, there are some really bad decisions made by the main character, but nothing that would keep it off the radio. it is named “Gold” by the Handsome Family. While I do want to eventually share this song, it is still challenging me a little. I am working through some stiffness with my fingers as I pump up my dainty little index finger and thumb to perform the appropriately named “F” chord without it sounding like a bunch of springs and tin cans filled with change fell down a well.

In the meantime I have a couple of songs on the grade one list that I am getting good with and have learned to sing and strum at the same time, so I am excited to share.

That brings up my second question. I thought that I read somewhere that we were limited to postimg one video per month. Is that true? I have two that I feel pretty good about now but just posted my first song in another thread a couple of weeks ago. I don’t want to be “that guy” clogging up the chat.

Thank you all for your patience. Have a good one.

1 Like

You are restricted to one topic per month but can post multiple recordings in that thread. Eg a topic called Rqualls March Recordings.

As to songs, there are no restrictions. But be mindful of the content in respect of foul language or subject matter. Mods @Richard_close2u @DavidP and @LievenDV can clarify further.

Hope that helps

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@Rqualls
Richard, @TheMadman_tobyjenner is correct in terms of intrepretation of the posting guidelines.

I’m not sure where you posted the first song. The single Topic in a calendar month guideline applies specifically to Community Recordings.

You can play, record, and share any song you like. There is no rule that it needs to be a song Justin suggested for practicing a specific chord or technique. You are also not limited to sharing only songs for which Justin has posted a song lesson on the website.

As for the lyrical content of songs, as Toby said, we don’t have any rules that constrain that. That said, without wanting to open a can of worms, I think there are songs that maybe cross the line in terms of artistic license and a similar post in Just Chatting would be contrary to our etiquette guidelines.

Fortunately I don’t recall anybody posting any such songs. If you were to post a song with ‘bad language’ in it or perhaps a more obvious ‘adult’ theme then I recommend stating that the song does contain some content that some may find offensive. For example, many have posted Working Class Hero and sung the original lyrics which contain some bad language.

3 Likes

Rules are made to be broken (or at least tested) :wink:
Is it more controversial than this one I shared?

…sounds like perfect accompaniment for a Handsome Family song :smiley:

Good. Do it sooner rather than later- warts and all.
Will we be treated to “moving my shoulders and whole body with the rhythm like dancing in my chair?” :rofl:
Seriously, you’ll probably cringe at your first attempts at recording yourself. I’ve yet to see a critical review of an early posting.

Let’s see… yesterday I posted fifteen (old) originals and one collaboration (on top of my monthly thread ‘ration’)

The position of “that guy” is already occupied.
Please contact the moderators to be notified, should a vacancy arrive… :rofl:

6 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Excited to upload and share some video to Community Recordings