Folsom Prison Blues/Pinball Wizard - Mashup Cover By LBro

Clips or it didn’t happen,right :smiley:

I was jamming a bit and remembered this thread so I did a quick record with my cellphone.
(Playing and singing through an amp here)

I have no fixed way to sing the vocal melody so it’s a bit ad lib but you’ll get the idea :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Silvia,
Thanks for the kind words on the “one man band” projects. But to be fair I think I prefer when I have a more advanced player on guitar, as in @oldhead49. His contributions are always near original in tone and play. Something I may never attain. If you look at my YouTube channel, most of the productions featured by “Coast To Coast Media” are a collaboration with him and possibly others based in the US. Often the other contributor is Pam on vox/guitar.

Take good care and I am looking forward to your next offering!
LB

1 Like

Hey Roger,
I find it great to hear this brightened up your day. I would hate for it to bum you out! :laughing:

Take good care mate!
LB

Thanks for the kind critique on this one Brian. I hope 24’ is your year of major advancement on your song projects!

You know, others talked about doing Folsom of the top of Pinball. I think I would have to defer to Puddles on that as it would be beyound me to pull off such a feat! I could in fact copy or cover that if he were to give me a guide song to follow…

Ha, I might have been able to fake 1 pinball. But when 4 at once rolled out of the skull, that would have blown me away. I noticed even the accomplished player in the video had one ball sail right past his right flipper and into the abyss. I guess he was no Pinball Wizard!

You be well, keep the light on in the Inn and take good care!
LB

Hi David,
I forgot to comment on this one. This is the first opportunity I had to use the Taylor 12 string in a song project. I was excited to do so and I think it came out pretty well!

Be well,
LB

1 Like

It sure did LBro. A 12 string can really add something extra to the mix. It reminds me that my original acoustic that is now Nashville strung is hanging on the wall and hasn’t been worked into the arrangement of an original for a while. And I don’t think it has a role to play in the current project. Need the muse to come knocking with ideas that are better expressed with acoustic guitar than rocking tones on the electric.

Hi Phil.
Good to hear this one was kind on the ears!
You mean like “with such a supple thumb”? Hah, not sure it fits very wall mate…
Thanks on the production work!

All the best to you in 24!
LB

Hi Alan,
I am glad to hear mixing my offering with lunch did not result in a bad case of indigestion! :grinning:
I do my best on producing what I post. Good to hear it worked for you!

Likewise, have a great 2024 and I hope to see more of your offerings too!
LB

1 Like

Hey @LBro

Lots of things to like about this one. First of all, it just sounds good - the mix is great wrt levels, eq, panning, fx etc. Great stuff! Liked the drums and bass - I’m guess those are done using virtual instruments of a sort? I’m also guessing you didn’t program them midi note by midi note, but relied on patterns? Sounds good!

Guitar playing was great as well, as was the vocals. Very much on pitch, to my ears.

Wrt tempo - it’s actually at 110bmp (well, I guess that depends on how you decide to hear/count it), so with that in mind… you did succeed with your 8th notes strumming after all :wink:

All the best,
Kasper

Well Clint,
Medium works for me!
:slightly_smiling_face:
Take good care!
LB

@LBro
Hi LB!
It’s a great cover, it fits perfectly with your vocals.
I really enjoyed listening to your version.
And I’m glad for your thumb :slightly_smiling_face:
Leo

HI Lieven,
Wow, that is pretty cool! Your show your versatility on this one for sure. I know one thing, you have the alternating bass line going pretty well. I never did get that to work out right and for a while it kept me from doing the mashup. But after I thought about it, I realized I could more or less catch it with the bass and did just that.

I think out of all you did, Hound Dog was maybe the best. At any rate, I liked it best, though all was good. Thanks for remembering about this thread and posting what you did! It was a nice listen!

All the best,
LB

1 Like

Hey Kasper,
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some great feedback! Thanks on the mix, as I continue to try and improve there all the time. Drums and bass were indeed virtual instruments. But no canned patterns were used. Many times I am finding on drums, one can search all day and not find what one wants. Then too, most drummers do more than just a standard beat. They vary it up from some to a lot. Finding patterns for those would be a huge task. Simpler just to write them out in midi.

Working on vocals pitch as I go and I think it was you that said not to grip the neck with an iron fist as it detunes the strings and wears out the frets! :exploding_head:

Now on tempo, I have not figured it out yet. Everything points to about 110 for tempo. Yet when I cranked that in and compared to the original track and a reference track I made, the drums did not fit or line up. I cranked the tempo up to 220 and all was well. So I went with that, go figure? If you were to look in my DAW, you would see that 220bpm, 4/4 time and a 1/3 kick with a 2/4 snare… @oldhead49 and I went round on round on that very thing and we don’t have an answer. I checked to see if there was a timing marker and all sorts of things that might alter tempo in Reaper, Nada. I tried Lieven, the Reaper blog guy and more… So far it remains a mystery. If you got any ideas, let me know!

All the best to you in 24’ and be well,
LB

It’s quite simple really… it’s a 12 bar blues progression at 110bmp, but the drums are playing in a double-time feel.

Cheers,
Kasper

Hey Leo,
I hear it been snowing a bit over your way? Or maybe that was just around Moscow?

Thanks for the listen and comments. I continue to work on vox. At some point I have to get better at it and it seems to be coming along slowly.

If you think you are glad for my thumb, you can’t imagine how pleased I am on this end about it. Guitar play is a whole new ballgame with 5 digits mate!

Keep on and be well over that way!
LB

Hey Kasper,
Thanks for the comeback on this one. @oldhead49 and I did cross this path, that you mention. But while the drums do have a double-time feel, they don’t look it on the grid. I am also not sure about guitar eighth notes. For instance, if I focus on just one bar and the wave pattern shows 4 peaks, with each at a quarter note grid line. Then I figure that at quarter note strumming, or 4 strums per bar, for sake of explanation. Not sure I am saying that right. But I am sure you can set me straight. Alas, at the end of the day I think you have to be right, for there is no other explanation. If you get the idea I am good at making simple into complex, you would be right! :grimacing:

Take care and hey, posting some more band feeds from the mix board would be a great thing mate!
LB

Happy New year Lbro,

Slowly coming out of the shadow of a covid bout, or at least i think it was - other members of the family had it and I suddenly had no energy or sense of taste. (And that’s not just in music or clothes. :))

Love this.
Some awesome guitar tones. The twang is brill.
The bass fat without mud - just a solid feeling bass line.
Great job on the vocal.
The whole thing captures Cash.

Stellar production.

Digger

Cool stuff @LBro Folsom prison blues is one of my favourite songs, you made it sound cool.
Nice production…

Hey,
A great New Year to you too Digs,
Sorry to hear about the bug. Nasty stuff. Though, when I got it, I found it mild.

Good to hear this pleases the ear on your end. Thanks for the nice feedback as always!

Get well and be well,
LB

Hey Trond,
Yeah, Folsom is a great song and I love when I hear Cash do it. You take good care!
LB