For Loving Me, Gordon LIghtfoot

@maidie

Sounds good, Maidie. Those lessons will give you a taste of Chris as a teacher without too much time commitment. At some point you will probably receive a mailer with an offer to buy the full course with a discount. Then you can buy it and put it on the shelf for when you are ready or decide against.

Personally when I started the full course it became my primary focus of learning. I continued with my guitar but much more in consolidation mode (I’m mostly perpetually consolidating c :grin:). So getting the timing right based on many factors is important.

David,

thanks so much for your response. Since I have you on the line, so to speak, I wanted to ask another question.
I’ve been having some fun, reading around the community by the fire, and so very much of it is sooo over my head. I feel as if I’m in a new country with a different language. I didn’t know what a cover was, or shredding. At the end of Course 1 we were supposed to consolidate, but again, not sure what that means.
Have just moved into (dipping my toes) Course 2 and the pentatonic scale, buzzzzz, I have no idea what that is, or why I should memorize it. Perhaps I have moved on too quickly?
I want to play songs, jam with others and feel I can kind of keep up. To be confident enough to play for the family, and not be embarrassed, and I’d love to learn how to play Blackbird on the fret. (not sure I’m even saying that correctly).
I went over to music theory, and was completely lost, so got out of there.
Will all this, or some of it start to make some sense? I feel a bit out of my league, I guess. However, I’m having a blast playing, and I guess that is the important part.
Perhaps we’ll just start with “consolidating”?
maidie

Maidie,

I (and many many others) are only to happy to answer questions, share opinions, make suggestions. The only stupidity when it comes to questions, is not asking.

The world of music is vast and like anything else when one gets started it is all new and foreign, so quite OK to not know, feel a bit overwhelmed.

And as you say, most importantly, you are playing songs and having fun.

To start with consolidating then. When we speak of consolidating we are taking about a period of time at the end of a grade when one takes some time to continue to practice all that was learned in the grade to ensure solid understanding and ability to play what was learned and, most importantly, put it to use in playing songs.

During consolidation one reviews how one is doing, referencing Justin’s recommendations for what one should be able to do at the end of the grade, specifically content in How to PASS Grade 1 | JustinGuitar.com

Perhaps ‘pass’ could generate some anxiety. I’d see it more as the guidelines that indicate when you are ready to move on.

That will include playing 5 songs from memory. This doesn’t mean you must know all the lyrics and be able to sing the song from memory.

When I talk about myself consolidating, I mean I spend most of my time learning songs, rather than actively learning and developing my technique. From that perspective I am still largely playing what is taught in the first grades plus a few intermediate additions.

I’ll stop there, before I write (another) post of such length that I might exceed the platform maximum word count :rofl:

Hopefully that all makes sense but feel free to ask questions or playback understanding. And when happy with that, I’ll be happy to explore another question.

All that aside, keep playing as you’ve been doing.

David, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. That was great. So, I’ve gone back to Course one, to make sure I was doing everything. I really wasn’t doing the riffs, so I put them in my practice plan, (which is pretty rough) and remembered to do the stretching over 4 frets, and not go fast. Because I’m trying to use some barre chords and struggling, and probably need to build those muscles more.
Here’s the thing that I find the hardest, is playing to the songs that he has for us to play along with. Really hard for me to keep the beat. I don’t know why but I really struggle with that one.
Thanks once again for your very thoughtful response!
maidie

1 Like

No worries, Maidie.

Only a pleasure