For No One - Acoustic Cover

Hello JGC friends :slight_smile:
My first AVOYP for March which came about from a chance relistening of Revolver at the end of last month. That reminded me of this most beautiful, if short, song penned by Paul McCartney. I remember the first time I heard it, it just hit all the right emotions with me at the time and in many ways I can’t believe I hadn’t already thought of this as a song to learn, but as soon as I did I was on it! Also I can’t quite believe I’ve not done a cover of any Beatles song so far in my journey!

First time using a little reverb on an acoustic recording to send the audio from Reaper into OBS and I think it’s come out quite subtly, which is what i was after. Anyway, enough waffling, I hope you enjoy :slight_smile:

30 Likes

Mark, great rendition of this song ! :slight_smile:

Thumbs up on playing and singing with such a smooth chord changes and strumming.

I spotted 2 chords that look like a good stretch/workout for the pinky. And you did them like a breeze. Awesome !

1 Like

Cool, Enjoyed that. :+1:

1 Like

Mark, that was really nice. I was surprised that it was not familiar to me.

1 Like

Very nice Mark. Guitar (of course I’m biased toward a Faith) and vocal. Revolver was one of my first LP’s. Some great songs on it. Have you thought about adding some of the descending bass line that I recall from the original?

1 Like

Great performance of this beautiful song. One of my favourites. And I also need to learn some Beatles tunes, right after a dozen of half-learned songs.

1 Like

@Thatman @TheCluelessLuthier @metramaks
Thanks for checking out guys, and for the kind comments!

@math07 Appreciated Mathieu, Am / G was the really stretchy one, I can’t do it without muting the A string but it doesn’t really matter TBF as it’s replacing the root note anyway! It’s the first song also where I’ve needed to use weak finger G to allow the Gsus4 at the end of the chorus. The song’s a deceptive workout for a 2 minuter!

@Willsie01 Cheers John, in time I’ll look at it with the bass line. The slash chords do a decent stab at it as is but no doubt can be improved or more accentuated. I definitely want to keep this in the song book and let it grow!

2 Likes

Well done brother, not familiar with that one but i liked the Mark version very much! Sound was smooth and dialed in from my side. I’m biased to standing but realize that not everybody’s comfort spot😀. Enjoyed it all.

Am/G is evil by the way…. Rod

1 Like

I’m way more comfortable standing with the electric to be honest Rod, just need to put the time / effort into doing that with the acoustic too. With your experience gigging I’m sure you could be playing on your head these days!! :slight_smile:

This is actually quite comforting to read! :rofl:

Appreciate you checking this one out brother.

2 Likes

That was beautiful Mark. Can’t believe I haven’t heard this before. Very enjoyable listen :sunglasses:

1 Like

Very nice Mark. Well played, well sung.

1 Like

Nice one Mark. I love songs with a descending bass line. Always makes me think of Piano Man.

Don’t worry about the Am/G. For slash chords I often mute the A string on purpose. I find it gives the chord more clarity and accentuates the different base note. Having both the G and the A in the bass sounds a bit muddy to me.

1 Like

Hey Mark
That was sweet, I did enjoy it :smiling_face: :sunflower:
I’m also working on standing to play my acoustic, which is what I’ve playing a lot more of lately. It does feel different, to me anyway, and I keep going back to sitting.

1 Like

That was really an excellent cover, Mark. Spot on with the playing and singing. Bravo. :clap:

That sure is a tricky one but you looked to do it with ease. Lift the index finger and you’ve got one of the chords from Champagne Supernova, if you know what I mean? :wink:

1 Like

Hi Mark,
Amazing :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: :man_bowing:
Singing and playing and sound balance and the subtle reverb…
Beautifully done :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

Well played and sung, Mark. Recording quality, tone and levels, just as good.

1 Like

Great rendition Mark, you’ve got the phrasing and emotion level nicely.
If you’re looking for feedback, I’d only suggest you might like to try it with the capo on 3 or 4. I reckon the vocal would be even better a little higher
Cheers
Ruaridh

1 Like

Great stuff Mark. Very well played and sung :ok_hand::clap:

1 Like

Gorgeous song
Well played and sung :sunglasses:
If you hadn’t mentioned reverb I wouldn’t have noticed it :roll_eyes:
Bravo!

1 Like

That was lovely, Mark, playing and singing both. Chord changes and strumming were right on. It’s a very melodic tune, and your vocal is quite good on it.

1 Like