French language songs

I know, I was just trying to get some decent music into this thread. Because, well, you know…French rock. :slight_smile:

Yes, please… I’m always interested discovering new music. My knowledge of (good) songs sung in French more or less ends and begins with Francis Cabrel :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome to the community. Good.to hear that your payment problem will be solved soon.

because there arent many to discover XD
but if you want names i can give some old or more modern

please no johnny halliday … lets forget him ( if you like that style you’d better listen to some Eddie mitchell )
In the oldies the best would be telephone , many french loves indochine ( not me )
Cabrel is well known but one of the most favorite guitar player in the 80 s was Jean Jacques Goldman i’d say
there is Paul personne too real good guitar player

so many more like Bachung , les rita mitsuko , Les innocents etc etc
In the modern bands I’d say we have : Shaka ponk , pony pony run run , skip the use …

1 Like

Made me chuckle Deborah but some of his later Rock stuff is pretty good, to be honest. But heck I am an old Brit living in Manche !

But on a serious note, I am still interested in any French rock bands (any bands really) singing in French (French French not the Canadian derivatives) and any suggestion are welcome. Even after a decade my “oreilles françaises” are pretty woeful and anything to help me “hear” better would help. So please my euro chums, send me some good Classic, Hard early Metal chanteurs français and I’ll be in your debt for ever !
:sunglasses:

One of my favourites still is Noir Désir (check out the song homme pressé or Le vent nous porterra) or completely different and not French but from Belgium (no not Jacques Bres): Stromae.

2 Likes

Thanks Michael will do some deep diving. Had a Johnny playlist set up on my very old ipod that threw up some “classics” comme ca

Great for indoctrinating both daughter and grand daughter when on a Brittany run out to the coast.
:rofl:

The more Ill say no Johnny the more he’ll show up XD

Oh yes i completely forgot noir desir … shame on me !

Et un petit classique de Trust

3 Likes

I was just about to post the Trust link, too :wink:

2 Likes

Very Famous in France : Renaud

and for Belgium Arno of course

Thanks Deborah. more YT diving to follow :sunglasses:

ask me anytime , i can go on for hours XD

1 Like

Got the title of the first one straight off things are imp roving ! But a bit too country for this old rocker. Got an age restricted video on the 2nd ! Blimey I’ll be 68 end of March, how’s that work. The link to YT worked though apart from its mainly a classic Franglais mongrel :rofl: .

I Wanted to post Goldman once :

and his Welsh soul mate Michael Jones

2 Likes

Good idea @brianlarsen :slightly_smiling_face: Noir Desire is a great discovery for me, sounds just like my cup of tea. So far I only knew one of their songs that Element of Crime had covered…

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Oh, those :rabbit2: :rabbit2: :rabbit2: holes :see_no_evil:
Maybe you find something here?

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

some ultravomit maybe ?

I think the most famous french metal band would be Gojira

Louise Attack are/were good.

A little bit of punk rock maybe?

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I now plan to stop playing guitar for 6 months so I can catch up with all the listening ! :rofl:

2 Likes

From the comments section:
“I just typed in that one French rock song and IT F###ING WORKED” :rofl:

Trivia: Plastic Bertrand neither wrote nor sang on this hit. That was another Belgian Lou DePrijck (who sang on all Plastic’s early records :wink:)

Belgians have a fantastic stable of indie bands going way back :smiley:
I was bitten as a teenager when introduded to Les Tueurs de La Lune de Miel aka The Honeymoon Killers these guys were able to summarise edgy post-punk/new wave in under two minutes with this tune

They also had a couple of very quirky covers of more traditional chansons
Laisse Tomber Les Filles
Route Nationale 7

1 Like