G'day everyone, Adrian from Sydney, Australia

G’day folks, lovely to meet you.

A Little about Me
I’m in my 40s and having a ball learning to play an instrument. I work in a pretty cerebral job, so music has been an incredible way to connect motion/feeling/intellect/and all-round-good-vibes in a way that takes me out of my own head - it’s like no other hobby I’ve ever found. I spend a lot of time talking to people and working with technology in my day job, so in my spare time I’m usually hiking in the great outdoors around Sydney, or increasingly, playing my guitar and learning about the magic of music. The world of music is infinitely complex and beautiful, and I had no idea it was so accessible. I really feel blessed to have stumbled across Justin’s tutorials that have unlocked that for me, and the community that has grown up around it.

A Little about My Musical Experience/Background
Not much music background. I learned piano as a 10 year old kid for about 6 months, and was basically told to give up as I was always trying to play by ear rather than read music :man_shrugging:

My brother is the muso in the family (plays piano, guitar and sax), and during COVID lockdowns in our fine country (Australia was pretty strict), I asked him if he thought I could ever learn guitar. He replied with “Of course you can, here’s my spare Cort acoustic. Go and learn how to play”. It started with strumming and learning some chords then going through Justin’s beginner course online, and then realising that the Cort needed to be restrung, which my brother showed me how to do.

It was about that time that I realised I loved the sound of classical guitar - and some of the repertoire too, so I threatened to buy a classical nylon string guitar for about 3 months until I finally stopped talking about it and ordered a Cordoba C7 online. Again, learned how to string a nylon guitar and off I went to learn some more classical guitar-oriented pieces. I love both steel and nylon, and am now threatening to buy an electric guitar. It never ends does it? :smiley:

A Little about My Experience with the Guitar
Really not much to be honest - I’ve been playing for about 14 months. I went through Justin’s beginner material for the first 9 months or so. That ended up taking me into Rick Beato, and more music theory, and then when I purchased the Cordoba C7 I started learning some basic classical guitar etudes. This resulted in an escursion into learning to read music and memorising the fretboard. I know it isn’t essential, but I can read music now and can find my way around the fretboard pretty well now - and I’ve already used my basic music reading skills to teach myself how to play some more complex tunes like Classical Gas. I haven’t done much ear training or transcribing, and those two seem related, so I’m going to spend the next few months on that and consolidating what I’ve been learning in the few intermediate songs I’ve been learning and the techniques that go along with that.

My Main (Learning) Guitar
I spend most of my time playing my Cordoba C7, but I also still play the steel string Cort acoustic as well. Some tunes just sound better on one vs the other. I’d like to buy myself my own acoustic at some point, and I’m already “researching” electric guitars. The right number of guitars is n+1 right? :slight_smile:

Goals
I’ve just learned a song that was one of my stretch songs (Classical Gas), so now I’d like to do some simpler songs, and I’m learning Four Seasons in One Day by Crowed House, and Comptine d’un autre été from Amélie.

I’d like to spend more time improvising and maybe writing some of my own simple tunes, probably starting with melodies and simple riffs - I feel like going through that process would teach more more about how or why music works. But I’d also like to start building more or an intuition for the way chords in a key work together, and then learn how changing keys works musically, and play around with those ideas.

I’d like to be able to play as cleanly as this (nothing like shooting high eh?) - Yann Tiersen - Comptine d'un autre été (from Amélie) - Fingerstyle Guitar - YouTube

Two youtube guitarists that really inspire me at the moment are:

Conclusion
Really happy to have found this corner of the internet full of supportive, passionate guitarists. I have learned just enough to know I know virtually nothing. That’s super exciting to me - I can’t wait to explore the magic that is music more and more. There’s so many genres to learn about and explore. It’s going to be fun to build a path through some of that and see what I can create on my own too!

Looking forward to being a small part of the community here too. Thanks in advance for all the support and I hope to return the favour as I learn and grow as a guitarist.

Cheers!

7 Likes

Welcome Adrian, what a detailed introduction, glad you found guitar. As you have noted this is a very supportive community , hope you have fun and look forward to seeing your music in action soon. It sounds like you have achieved a lot in 14 months.
Cheers

Phil

2 Likes

Great to hear more of your story after being WoW’ed by your performance of Classical Gas, Adrian. You’ve come a long way in a short time. Look forward to following progress here.

2 Likes

That’s really awesome, always great to see other Aussies on the forums. Glad you’ve found the love of playing guitar, it is such fun,

2 Likes

Hi Adrian,
That’s a nice introduction…good story…I look forward to your further development as a guitarist :sunglasses:
Greetings ,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community Adrian. :slight_smile:

No, the GAS never stops. Even when you know you don’t need one you keep looking and wanting.

2 Likes

Hi Adrian and welcome to the community. I think you’ll get a lot of motivation and encouragement here

1 Like

Hi Adrian and Welcome.

Great back story and sounds like you have been making steady progress. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey. I’d really love to support what Beato does. Do you feel that supplementing JG’s course with Beato’s ear training or whatever else would be beneficial or would it be better to stick with JG only? Beato’s very talented but I can’t speak for how good of a teacher he may be. Thanks and congrats on your progress.

1 Like

Hello Adrian and welcome to the community.
Wow, what a story you have given us and what a diverse path you have been treading.
My little teaching & learning antennae are bristling a little and have me wondering if you have been pulling yourself too thinly in too many different directions. Being able to play Classical Gas is quite an achievement on anybody’s terms. Yet somehow I read between the lines that you have not yet learned to play many regular non-dreamer songs. If I read that wrong I apologise.
For classical, have you come across Giuliani’s 120 Right Hand Studies? If not here is a resource you may find useful: Giuliani's 120 Right Hand Studies Tab by Mauro Giuliani | Songsterr Tabs with Rhythm

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like