GDPiper169 - March 2022 - I'll Follow You Into The Dark + Who'll Stop The Rain + Mash-up of 4 developer songs

Nice start on all of these, sounding good! Work in progress videos are always interesting to see, thanks for sharing.

Hi Gregory I am glad I saw your video it was a pure pleasure to listen to those tracks even for a short while. You really surprised me with the first song, honestly didn’t think anyone will know Slow Cheetah on the forum :smile: you play well hit most notes correctly for most of the time, two things I would try to work on in your case:

1. trying to get into a song’s timing, Slow Cheetah and Tears in Heaven are a bit short to original tempo so try building up the speed by increasing speed of the original track even as low as every +0.05x of the original speed.

2. I will sound like a broken record here but thumb placement is something to look at. By placing it more parallel to strings you get lots of benefits out of it such as:

• getting your index finger out of the way of the thumb
  • making your fingers more perpendicular to the strings so that your picking motion becomes more vertical (no scraping sounds along winds of the string)
  • enables you to play some more complicated percussive and picking/strumming techniques

I found it awkward at first but I was able to play a lot faster and cleaner as soon as I made the switch. Give it a shot! :slight_smile:

Overall well done!

We all have ‘our thing’, Adrian :grin:

Maybe you should write it up, with the picture, and post in an appropriate place. Then you can just link to the topic and it will be available to all.

1 Like

Thank you. I will try what you’re saying. Encouragement is good, but I think constructive criticism actually has more value.
I’ve played guitar on and off for many years, but finger picking is relatively new to me. I started watching Justin’s videos about a year ago and came across his “Folk Finger Style” lessons. I’ve decided this is the main course I want to follow.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Hello Gregory,
Nice choice these devolepers, and you set yourself realistic goals…if you have really mastered these …well, then you are pretty much there :sunglasses: …especially that E.Clapton can do a lot become a thing to fully master :sweat_smile: :sunglasses:…but definitely doable now you are already that far,
Good luck and i wish a lot of fun,
Greetings ,Rogier