Getting worse rather than better, should I go electric?

Over the last week my one minute chord changes are getting less and more difficult. I practice for one hour daily playing easy 2 chord songs, which sound awful. I am playing a classical guitar and my fingers still hurt after 4 months. HELP

No expert here, but I’d say you would probably find the electric easier as they generally have a lower action than acoustics and require far less pressure. As I recall, with electric, my fingers only hurt for a couple of weeks when I started.

1 Like

Electric certainly is easier on your fingertips

1 Like

While this is true it’s the very reason I’d try to stay acoustic. That way when you DO eventually play electric you’ll be stronger then ever. It does take time of co sidtent playing to build calluses.

Have you had your guitar set up properly?

You say classical. Nylon string? Those usually don’t hurt that much.

1 Like

I have nylon strings, guitar was given to me free, might invest in something decent.

What make is it? If it is a decent make, you may just get it properly set up.

No make on it, probably a school guitar

Seems like a lot of these guitars are not so good.

Maybe go to a guitar center or other larger guitar dealer and play around a bit and see what the differences are.

It still could be worth a set up, but if the guitar is not worth anything, it is hard to throw good money at it.

A cheap nylon string guitar can be a terror to learn on.
Broad, flat neck.
Possibly sharp frets.
Normally the strings may not hurt as much as metal strings but the overall experience can still be painful.
I would definitely consider buying better if you have this much anguish after several months.
For modest budgets, you can get electrics with many more movable parts that allow them to be given a decent set up and play well.

3 Likes

Thanks for comment, a better acoustic is my first choice I think. Acoustic or electric is a minefield of opinions.

In that case go to the Gear category of the community to start a topic seeking advice, giving budget location etc.

Hi. Im by far an expert. But i had an old guitar in the first month with a high action. The one i gave now i set up by a luthier. And it cannot be compared with my old one. Might worth it to set it up correctly.
Just my two cents…

And dont quit!!

2 Likes

Nylon strings are usually thicker and a bitch on the fingers especially if you are not playing classical stylee.

My advice from experience is go electric, but that will always depend on your goals and styles you want to play.

Don’t give up, just get an instrument that is up to the job and you’ll be flying :slight_smile:

1 Like

What are your goals? What kind of music do you want to play? That has a big influence on what type of guitar to get.

Personally, I wouldn’t waste money trying to get a cheap, “no-name” guitar set up, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a pro look at it and tell you if it’s worth messing with. I have both an electric and an acoustic, both quality instruments (Dean Zelinsky electric, Taylor acoustic), both professionally set up, and the electric is still easier to play.

1 Like

Just bought an electric one and already feeling this is a lot easier, hope to progress now, thanks for all suggestions.

8 Likes

Ah, well, too late!
I am a classical (nylon) guitar player-not a genius but I know my way around one- and was going to recommend that you get an acoustic (steel string) Yamaha from a GC or something like that.
Someone put a guitar in my hand the other day for me to play on and the thing was nigh unplayable.
Still think that acoustic is the way to go, can’t take your amp with you everywhere you go!

1 Like

An interesting option is what I recently acquired. A nylon string electric.

Mine is an ESP LTD TL-6N

(I took off the silly decals on the fret board)

Or more fancy are the Godin Multiac or similar guitars by Cordoba, Carvin and others.

Cool as heck with wide (48mm) nuts like a crossover classical, low action nylon strings that are easy on the fingers, handle a bit like an electric and have a cool amplified sound.

I would not at all consider them an adequate true substitute for a decent classical acoustic guitar, this is a different beast sound wise, but similar in playability.

I will eventually either get a nice classical guitar or I will be ripping classical music with distortion!

What it is is a great learning tool.

1 Like

A very good option, thanks

Maybe your just pressing to hard on the strings… I know I have to constantly tell my self not to press so hard. I have an electric that has a fairly low action and I really don’t have to press very hard but catch myself doing it anyways. try fretting a string, picking it and slowly let up till it gets buzzy or dead sounding and press down a little to see how hard you have to press down to make a clear note. also pressing to hard will make your chords go out of tune.

Dave

3 Likes