Girl - The Beatles

I was never really gone Toby. Just on holiday. :grinning: Although to be fair, I hadn’t realised how long it was since I posted an AVoYP. Glad you liked the song and the solo.

1 Like

Thanks Adrian. You can’t beat a Beatles classic!
@adi_mrok @LBro @stitch
I’m pleased you guys enjoyed the song. Your opinion means a lot to me. It seems you and a lot of others all liked the solo. When I was practising it I tried blues bends and hammer-ons but they didn’t sound right so I played it pretty plainly in the end.

Yes you’re right TRJ. When I listened back to the recording I realised it was a little unbalanced. However if I’d redone it then I couldn’t call it a ‘one take’.
I normally get the balance better but it’s been a while since I did an AVoYP and I must be out of practice. My basic recording technique has its limitations! :grinning:

Hi Gordon,

I’m glad to finally get to hear your music. That was fantastic considering you took a month off. I appreciate you sharing the video.

Jeff

1 Like

@jkahn @sclay @EndlessRepetition
Thanks for the listen and positive comments guys, it’s much appreciated. I really must make an effort to post more AVoYPs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the listen and support David. Before it became one of the greatest hits the original song was first on the Rubber Soul album which is a bit of a treasure trove of Beatles songs that suit an acoustic guitar.
As for the heavy mournful sighs, there were plenty of those as I was trying to get the solo to fit seamlessly into my version! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the listen Paul. I did experiment with different tempos but felt that without the multiple guitars and harmonies it dragged a bit when played at the original bpm. Anyway it’s all about creating your own version not a ‘copy cover’. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. :smiley:

Lol. My finger-ends start peeling when I don’t play for a while, so often end up with sore fingers for a while also.

Can’t beat some classic Beatles. Your vocal really captures that 60s vibe.
Loved the interlude lead break.

Digger

1 Like

Nicely played and sung Gordon.
Good to see you back in the swing.
And that is how I’d like to step in with a little feedback.
You have some shuffle-swing in your rhythm and I would like encourage you to keep that and maybe even swing a little more.
If you’re not sure what I mean by this, listen to and compare these two sound samples.
One is played with a shuffle -swing where the strumming is triplet-feel.
1–ah 2–ah 3–ah 4–ah

The other is straight eighths
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

Another aspect I think you could look for improvement is the amount of strum … not all chords are played as full 6 or 5 strings versions. Try mixing it up, thicker strings down, thinner strings up.
Also, do the Lennon trick of playing a few open strings on the and after 4 between chord changes.
Further, on the bridge, try playing a different approach and dynamic, four quarter beats, four strums per bar, with accented 1 and 3.
Listen below to hear this.

I have created a full audio track for you to check out these suggestions.

You may wish to use this as a backing track.

Cheers

Richard

ps I had better not share the TAB for copyright reasons. :wink:

3 Likes

And that is the one Beatles album I occasionally put on for a start-finish listen (rather than that compilation of the best songs from the early years)

:laughing: I can believe it, tricky business to solo free-style without any backing.

1 Like

Nice job Gordon, love the song. Some tricky chords in there but you nailed’em.

1 Like

Thanks for listening and commenting Roger. Yes, I’ve got mixed feelings about the solo. Although it seems to have been well received by most of the others, it would sound better over a backing of some sort. The problem with my basic recording system is I can’t play two guitars at once! :smiley:

@Digger72
Lol. My finger-ends start peeling when I don’t play for a while,

My fingers are back to guitar standard again Stephen! Thanks for the listen.

2 Likes

@Richard_close2u
Wow Richard thank you so much for taking the time to create those sound files and offering the terrific strum pattern/timing advice. Invaluable feedback that I’ll take on board both for this song and for future efforts.

It’s all too easy to concentrate on learning the lyric and chord sequences and then forget about the strumming dynamics.
I think that is particularly the case with a slower song like this. A more upbeat song encourages you to play a more interesting pattern.

1 Like

Very enjoyable Gordon, it’s difficult to tell that you’re a bit rusty!
Re the sairfingers, there’s the superglue trick or there some plastic finger ends on Amazon :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@MiJoy @DarrellW @SDKissFan
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment guys.
Don’t worry Darrell, I won’t be needing plastic fingertips. My fingers have toughened up now. :smiley:

1 Like

Your band trio has a looper, … kick it in for a supporting tune during the solo, … or does that looper only work with drums? , I’ve never tried that, but I also have a standalone looper,. … in the end it is what you want, of course, and that there are other options you must have figured out long ago :smile:,… as long as you have fun then it’s good :sunglasses:
Greetings,…

2 Likes

Very nice Gordon and I thought the solo worked well.

1 Like

Terrific return AVOYP Gordon, such a cool song with a really interesting chord progression, performed really nicely as usual. The holiday’s done you good :slight_smile:

1 Like

My finger tips are bulletproof. I bet yours are too lol.

1 Like

@Rossco01 @Notter
Thanks for the listen guys. Very much appreciated.
Yes Mark it’s a really nice chord progression. John and Paul were pretty good at creating them! :smiley: