Girl - The Beatles

Well it’s been ages since I uploaded an AVoYP. I was on holiday and didn’t touch the guitar for a month or so resulting in ‘sairfingers’ when I picked it up again. :woozy_face:
Thought I’d get back into it with a song by The Beatles.
It’s a one take, so as always, I’ve played it better and I’ve played it worse. The original has an instrumental bit with multiple guitars. I probably shouldn’t have tried to include my version of it.

30 Likes

What better way to start off the weekend with a Beatles cover from Gordon. It may have been a month since you touched the guitar but you’re showing no signs of rust. That was a superbly played and sung.

1 Like

Sounded good, Gordon. I think the solo worked.

1 Like

As I said elsewhere, good to have you back :smiley:
Fab song. Well covered.
In no particular order:
You seem to have slapped the capo on the right fret for your register (although you’re supposed to have it straight, next to the fret :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Look at the relaxed strumming action of your hand. Cool.
Confident chord changes.
Competent solo. I thought your solo was fine The original has one of those Greek-sounding ‘Da da da da da…’ ones.
Two suggestions that you might want to try:
I’d like to hear it a little slower I think of this as a very dreamy, relaxed song.
Would you think of programming your Trio+ for this?
A simple drum beat with first bar bass notes would give it more body, but most importantly the solo wouldn’t just be sitting there out in isolation by itself (you could even add a bit of rhythm on that part)
Back to the duty free now… :laughing:

3 Likes

That was superb Gordon! Really liked your vocals on this one. Really well done on the seamless switch to the little riff near the end. Looks and sounds like you were never away from your guitar. Very enjoyable and a great start to my day here!

1 Like

Most enjoyable, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

That was great Gordon.

1 Like

Its like he was never gone !

Great cover Gordon, your vocals are really strong on this one. Been a long time I heard this classic so you brightened up a chilly Normandie afternoon. Loved the solo !!

Welcome back sir. Don’t be a stranger !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Gordon and The Beatles, what is not to like here? Really well played and clearly holidays have not made you forget how to play the guitar :slight_smile: Solo worked really great in my opinion, you started exactly in rhythm so there weren’t any issues with going completely off rail there. No nits from me on it, glad to hear and see you back! All the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
Hey - Any Beatles is a good time indeed. Liked the one off nature and vibe of this. Great job and good to see you on here!

All the best!
LB

1 Like

Enjoyed that as always Gordon. There was nothing wrong with the solo sounded good.

1 Like

@Socio @J.W.C
Thanks for the listen and support guys. Always much appreciated.
I was in two minds about putting in the solo Jason as it sounded a bit thin, but I’m pleased you thought it worked.

@brianlarsen
Thanks for the listen and comments Brian. Always most welcome.
The capo. Yes you’re right, it’s squint! There are a lot of B7s in the song and I can’t play them with the capo up against the fret. The original song has capo at fret 8. I found it impossible to play anything with the capo up there so settled on fret 2.
I did actually create a Trio+ backing track and had verse, chorus and bridge sections but just couldn’t find a bass/drum beat/style that sounded right and suited the song so decided to go it alone.
Regarding the tempo. I’ve just re listened to the original and you’re right, it is slower than my version.

1 Like

Very nice Gordon, one of my favourite songs, and you did it soo well.

Single take recording? I am too new to this self recording business, but to have the confidence to only allow the single take, and not re-record, chapeau sir!

If I am allowed one suggestion, seeing that you are most likely recording with a smartphone or tablet, is to position it higher, so you get more of the voice and a little less of the guitar in the sound mix. It also helps you looking into the camera, rather than down.

1 Like

Really enjoyable Gordon. Great playing.

1 Like

Bravo Gordon :clap:. Very enjoyable mate. Good to see you back front and centre. The playing, the singing, all spot on.
Your solo worked very well too I reckon. Sat in there nicely.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Very nice, I thought the solo was good, glad you included it.

1 Like

That was great, Gordon, one of my favourites, taking me back to when I was 10-12 years old and loved that Red (1962-1966) album.

All I missed from that were the ocassional heavy mournful sighs that convey some of the emotion of the song at times.

Bravo!

1 Like

Excellent cover Gord !

I like playing this song (not as good as Gord but getting there!), as Brian says I like to play it slower.

Well done.

1 Like

Hi Gordon,
Great song and super played and sung,…now the chords under the solo and it’s perfect, because now it made a bit of an interruption and that was a pity,…
But for the rest :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:
Greetings,…

1 Like

@Eddie_09 @Malz @TheCluelessLuthier
Thanks for the listen and the supportive comments guys. Glad you enjoyed the song.

1 Like