Grade 2 Acoustic guitar upgrade - thoughts on Tanglewood WR9

I’ve been learning on an Aria electro acoustic for a year now, and would like to upgrade. I tried a few guitars in my price range in store today, and particularly liked the sound and playability of a Tanglewood WR9 in the Winterleaf range. Does anyone have any advice as to whether this would be a good purchase for a grade 2 beginner? Many thanks.
Paul

If you liked the sound and you liked the playability… and it was in your pricerange… well, i would say you just hit the jackpot.

Cant ask for more than that :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with @tRONd. You’re doing the right thing trying them out in store. Sound, playability, and the way it looks to you, they’re the main things.

1 Like

Tanglewood make some very nice guitars, that one has a solid cedar top and mahogany sides and back so it should have a nice balanced tone, it also has reasonably good electronics, a good plus point if you want to record yourself.
At that price point there’s a lot of others you could look at but none so much better than that one, provided you are happy with the size and playability then go for it!

1 Like

Thanks, Darell. It looks like I’ve found my next instrument! Although my wife’s insisting that I sell my original guitar to part fund the new purchase! Not sure that I’m too happy about that!

If you decide that the Aria no longer has any use to you, you could consider donating it to a local charity that teaches music to kids.

That’s what I did with the $150 electric I started with. The money I would have gotten for selling it wouldn’t have made it worth the trouble of selling it.

But, I was able to put that guitar into the hands of a kid that was already motivated to learn, but who couldn’t afford a guitar or lessons. :+1:

2 Likes

I really like that idea. I’ll look to do something similar. Thanks, so much for the suggestion.
Paul

I have a Tanglewood winterleaf and I love it. I bought it about 4 months ago and is my 3rd guitar and 3rd attempt to learn. My other two guitars (and attempts) were abandoned many years ago. This time I’m actually getting somewhere which I put down to my lovely Tanglewood and the Justin app.
Good luck!

1 Like