Great Music Documentaries/Biopics?

Peter Green: Man Of The World. (2008)

One of THE great music documentaries.

In my humble opinion, Peter Green is one of the very, very few divinely inspired guitarist/ musicians that have walked the planet. Unequalled, alongside perhaps Hendrix.

Told almost entirely by the Fleetwood Mac band members, including Peter himself, it is both triumphant and hauntingly tragic. A lot of great archival footage too. A must watch.

Cheers, Shane

5 Likes

A few years ago, there was a report that a Roy Orbison biopic was in the works. I wonder whatever happened to that. Iā€™d have liked to see that. He had a soap-opera life.

1 Like

Hi

A bit ā€œoffā€ musical genre from what you are interested in, but these may still be worth watching at some point.

Martin Scorsese Blues Series

The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith - mostly about the renowned photographer, but also a peek into an extraordinary musical time and place in NYC).

Hitsville: The Making of Motown - another special time and place

Laurel Canyon (3-part) - another special time and place

Respect Yourself: The History of Stax Records - itā€™s on my watchlist

Andrew

1 Like

:wink:

5 Likes

Almost as good as Spinal Tap, but a real documentary :open_mouth: :rofl:

ā€¦ and ā€˜Fanny. The Right to Rockā€™ the ā€˜girl bandā€™ that was before all other girl bands. These ladies did rock :sunglasses:

1 Like

There is still some inspiration to be gained from this :sunglasses:

Or in this topic

2 Likes

Tom Petty: Somewhere you feel free - the making of Wildflowers

Is a great documentaries on Tom Petty.

1 Like

Haha, you made me go back and check if I was just repeating myself :rofl:
I think it was Richard who first shared the Anvil tip, but canā€™t recall where (and am too busy with a project to search :wink:)
Have a good day

1 Like

Those Martin Scorsese film names are ā€œRolling Thunder Revueā€ and ā€œNo direction Homeā€.

I am going to watch both of them. Thanks for the tip.
Since we are talking about Scorsese everyone should cheak out the movie, ā€œThe last Waltzā€. Its really amazing.

Edit
Intersting story about this movie. This is not my type of music normally whats so ever. But my mom knew I loved good guitar work and she got me this for christmas maybe 12 years ago and I never watched it. During COVID I happend to see it in out big bin of bluerays and DVDs and I was wow look at all the people performing on stage. So I watched it and was blown away. I was terribly sad that my mom had passed away already and I could not tell her what a wonderful gift it was. But i know she would be happy that i was appreciating it now.

3 Likes

I like music documentaries. Some great ones on Sky, maybe not so much blues/ metal but I just watched a doc on the making of Paul Wellerā€™s album Wild Wood last night. Theirs time Iā€™ve watched it so Iā€™m probably biasedā€¦

1 Like

Some of these have been mentioned, but some of my favs are: Sound City, Muscle Shoals, It Might Get Loud, Rush: Time Stand Still, David Bowie: The Last 5 Years, Foo Fighters Sonic Highways. Plus there is one about the Pink Floyd Wall tour. I think itā€™s Pink Floyd, 1980 The Wall Tour Documentary that was really good. If your American and remember Tower Records, then All Things Must Pass is worth a watch.

1 Like

thereā€™s a great documentary on Country Music on Arte at the moment

Its subbed in French but itā€™s spoken in english :
https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/113630-001-A/country-music-une-histoire-populaire-des-etats-unis-1-9/

2 Likes

For me itā€™s Aerosmith documentary.

2 Likes

Laurel Canyon ; A place in time . Not really a music documentary ,more about how the place effected the musicians that lived there in the 60s and 70s .

1 Like

Standing In The Shadows of Motown - great doco on the Funk Brothers, a group of studio musicians who backed pretty much every Motown hit through the 60ā€™s.

3 Likes

I think biopics belong to the works of the devil so I actively avoid them. Some documentaries I liked are the following:

Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue
The Beatles Anthology
David Crosby: Remember My Name
Long Strange Trip
I Called Him Morgan
The Night James Brown Saved Boston
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan
Cracked Actor
Bird on a Wire
Gimme Shelter
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music
Monterey Pop
Dont Look Back

1 Like

Just saw that, loved it, thanks!

1 Like

Awesome, put it on my list, thanks!

Amazing, Metallica is one of my favorite bands. Canā€™t believe I havenā€™t seen this. Will check it out, thanks!

Amazing, he was one of the greats. Will check it out, thanks!