Great Music Documentaries/Biopics?

Iā€™ve been on a on a guitar, rock, blues, metal documentary/biopic bender and was curious if you all had any suggestions on ones to watch? Any hidden gems?

1 Like

If you have Netflix, then Devil at the Crossroads is a good Robert Johnson story.

4 Likes

A mate of mine keeps telling me to watch ā€œSearching for Sugarman.ā€ Itā€™s about the guitarist/musician Rodriguez. Iā€™ve never watched it. It appears to be available on youtube right now.

3 Likes

Hi Sean, Iā€™ve referenced this in the Epic Solos
thread but check out Metallica - A Year And a Half In The Life Of, particularly part one. Itā€™s about the recording of the Black Album, fun viewing and a marked turning point in their music generally, and great to see the influence of Bob Rock. You can find it on YouTube.

2 Likes

DIO: Dreamers Never Die

One of the best singers/characters in the history of rock and roll. Itā€™s a good documentary about his journey playing with rainbow, Sabbath and his own band. He was one of a kind in a good way.

1 Like

Walk the Line (Johnny Cash) and Ray (Ray Charles) are both awesome biopics with great performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Jamie Foxx.

For docs, Get Back about making Let it Be is fantastic. Iā€™m a big Dylan fan and so a fan of the two Scorsese docs on Dylan. What Happened Miss Simone (Nina Simone) is also very good.

1 Like

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Well, not a documentary at all and not a real biopic, but it doesnā€™t matter since itā€™s a really good and very entertaining movie, especially if you know about the music and musicians that are shown or parodied here.

1 Like

Once Were Brothers, Robbie Robertson and the Band.
Great documentary with great real footage of the music and lives of the Band from the forming to the breakup of the Band.

2 Likes

I recently watched Cadillac Records on Amazon, but it seems to be on youtube as well. About Chicago Blues in the 50s and 60s, and Beyonce as Etta James. Not entirely accurate I believe but thoroughly enjoyable and great music. Got me all excited about Justinā€™s blues immersion coming up later this year.

3 Likes

The Buddy Holly Story.

1 Like

Sound City.
Itā€™s the story of Sound City Studios.

2 Likes

Some excellent suggestions, to which Iā€™d add the 5-part series of interviews with Paul McCartney by Rick Rubin. Fascinating exploration of the creation and diverse influences on Beatles and some McCartney songs. In Australia its on ABC Ivew McCartney 3, 2, 1: Episode 1 These Things Bring You Together : ABC iview

1 Like

Peter Green: Man Of The World. (2008)

One of THE great music documentaries.

In my humble opinion, Peter Green is one of the very, very few divinely inspired guitarist/ musicians that have walked the planet. Unequalled, alongside perhaps Hendrix.

Told almost entirely by the Fleetwood Mac band members, including Peter himself, it is both triumphant and hauntingly tragic. A lot of great archival footage too. A must watch.

Cheers, Shane

5 Likes

A few years ago, there was a report that a Roy Orbison biopic was in the works. I wonder whatever happened to that. Iā€™d have liked to see that. He had a soap-opera life.

1 Like

Hi

A bit ā€œoffā€ musical genre from what you are interested in, but these may still be worth watching at some point.

Martin Scorsese Blues Series

The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith - mostly about the renowned photographer, but also a peek into an extraordinary musical time and place in NYC).

Hitsville: The Making of Motown - another special time and place

Laurel Canyon (3-part) - another special time and place

Respect Yourself: The History of Stax Records - itā€™s on my watchlist

Andrew

1 Like

:wink:

5 Likes

Almost as good as Spinal Tap, but a real documentary :open_mouth: :rofl:

ā€¦ and ā€˜Fanny. The Right to Rockā€™ the ā€˜girl bandā€™ that was before all other girl bands. These ladies did rock :sunglasses:

1 Like

There is still some inspiration to be gained from this :sunglasses:

Or in this topic

2 Likes

Tom Petty: Somewhere you feel free - the making of Wildflowers

Is a great documentaries on Tom Petty.

1 Like

Haha, you made me go back and check if I was just repeating myself :rofl:
I think it was Richard who first shared the Anvil tip, but canā€™t recall where (and am too busy with a project to search :wink:)
Have a good day

1 Like