Great Music Documentaries/Biopics?

Those Martin Scorsese film names are “Rolling Thunder Revue” and “No direction Home”.

I am going to watch both of them. Thanks for the tip.
Since we are talking about Scorsese everyone should cheak out the movie, “The last Waltz”. Its really amazing.

Edit
Intersting story about this movie. This is not my type of music normally whats so ever. But my mom knew I loved good guitar work and she got me this for christmas maybe 12 years ago and I never watched it. During COVID I happend to see it in out big bin of bluerays and DVDs and I was wow look at all the people performing on stage. So I watched it and was blown away. I was terribly sad that my mom had passed away already and I could not tell her what a wonderful gift it was. But i know she would be happy that i was appreciating it now.

3 Likes

I like music documentaries. Some great ones on Sky, maybe not so much blues/ metal but I just watched a doc on the making of Paul Weller’s album Wild Wood last night. Theirs time I’ve watched it so I’m probably biased…

1 Like

Some of these have been mentioned, but some of my favs are: Sound City, Muscle Shoals, It Might Get Loud, Rush: Time Stand Still, David Bowie: The Last 5 Years, Foo Fighters Sonic Highways. Plus there is one about the Pink Floyd Wall tour. I think it’s Pink Floyd, 1980 The Wall Tour Documentary that was really good. If your American and remember Tower Records, then All Things Must Pass is worth a watch.

1 Like

there’s a great documentary on Country Music on Arte at the moment

Its subbed in French but it’s spoken in english :
https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/113630-001-A/country-music-une-histoire-populaire-des-etats-unis-1-9/

2 Likes

For me it’s Aerosmith documentary.

2 Likes

Laurel Canyon ; A place in time . Not really a music documentary ,more about how the place effected the musicians that lived there in the 60s and 70s .

1 Like

Standing In The Shadows of Motown - great doco on the Funk Brothers, a group of studio musicians who backed pretty much every Motown hit through the 60’s.

3 Likes

I think biopics belong to the works of the devil so I actively avoid them. Some documentaries I liked are the following:

Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue
The Beatles Anthology
David Crosby: Remember My Name
Long Strange Trip
I Called Him Morgan
The Night James Brown Saved Boston
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan
Cracked Actor
Bird on a Wire
Gimme Shelter
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music
Monterey Pop
Dont Look Back

1 Like

Just saw that, loved it, thanks!

1 Like

Awesome, put it on my list, thanks!

Amazing, Metallica is one of my favorite bands. Can’t believe I haven’t seen this. Will check it out, thanks!

Amazing, he was one of the greats. Will check it out, thanks!

Awesome! Thanks for the reco’s looking forward to checking em out!

Haha, I love this movie.

Awesome, sounds great. On my list now, thanks!

Totally! Loved this movie, thanks!

Love Buddy Holly, will check it out.

Amazing documentary, thanks!

Brilliant, two legends. Will check it out, thanks!

Sweet! Sounds awesome, stoked to watch it. Thanks Shane!