Green Day – Holiday

Hello everyone!
I’m continuing consolidating songs that I’m learning (this one for more than a year). This is such a great song and my favorite by Green Day that got me into them. The recording isn’t as good as I’d wish it to be, but after a couple of dozens attempts this is the best one.
The hardest parts are this embellishments (finger slides and triplet dead strums) and quick transitions.
I played verses with full chords instead of power chords because it’s the first version I learned and I think it sounds better, at least on acoustic without distortion. And it adds contrast with chorus.
So, here it is, feedback is very appreciated:

P.S. I have absolutely no idea why the background is so wobbly. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Btw, Justin in his lesson shows alteration between major third and perfect fourth in the last bar of the intro sequence. But I can’t hear it in the song. And every other tabs and lessons don’t show it. Why is it then?

Awesome job! I recently did a cover of this song on here, so I know exactly how tough those changes can be. I especially liked how you did the solo and the bass riff.

2 Likes

Actually your topic pushed me to finally record and post it. So thank you for that.

1 Like

Really nice work there Artem, your time spent on this is really obvious.

I love a bit of Green Day, they can seem so simple but it’s really tricky to play due to tempo a lot of the time. This one adds to that with the variety and range of chords. A he of a workout and loved your performance! Bravo :clap:

1 Like

Great stuff.

1 Like

You did amazing with this. Same advice people tell me is to smile more.everything else was near perfect and I see you did well with tough changes. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Excellent work Artem. Your rhythm and dynamics are spot on.

For a solo unplugged arrangement like this you made the right decision to play full chords during the verses. It would have been to monotonous if you had played all power chords throughout the song.

I don’t hear or see the sus4 in the last bar of the intro on any of the live or studio versions either, but it does sound nice.

2 Likes

Really well played Artem. What we need now is a vocal to go with it. 3.42 of strumming is a bit long. :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you.
Green Day often seems simple and relatively easy, but their songs have some trickie parts. And it’s not easy at all to write such songs.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I know, having vocal would be great, but it’s a mission impossible for me at this stage. I have no idea bow Billie Joe does it, but I struggle to even not look at the fretboard during some parts of the song. But one day I’ll definitely achieve that too.

1 Like

Appreciate it, Jeff.

I liked your rendition so much that I had to listen to your version of the song two times over :slightly_smiling_face: I was fascinated by the dynamics and how you got them across on acoustic. So, for me the missing singing has not been any issue at all :slightly_smiling_face:b thanks for sharing, Artem.

1 Like

Oh, that’s so nice to hear. Thank you, Nicole.

1 Like

Hi Artem! I like your rendition very much, especially the dynamics! Like Nicole, I didn’t miss singing at that point either, I was catched by rhythm and your playing. Can’t offer any constructive feedback, as I’m not at your level yet, but I really enjoyed your playing and I could see the joy of playing in your face :hugs:

1 Like

Hi Artem, thanks for sharing this one with us. I forgive you for the wobbly background as I enjoyed that one very much and thought you played really well.

Absolutely. This was the most important thing for me, seeing the enjoyment that you were having playing the guitar.

I look forward to listening to the next recording that you share.

1 Like

Excellent job. Love this song and you really did it justice. Well done

1 Like

Fantastic :star_struck:. I love this song and hope to be able to play it myself somedays. I’ve just started learning to play power chords, but it’s on my list :smiley:.
Very well done, Artem and thanks for sharing :+1::clap:!!

1 Like

Very Nice. Viewers are watching you; not any background issues.

1 Like

This is what it’s all about, isn’t it?
And thank you for kind words.

1 Like