Greetings from Donna in Virginia 🇺🇸

Hi, I’m Donna [she/her], and I live in Southeast Virginia, USA. I’ve been learning with Justin for a little over 2 years now, and it has come to my attention that I’ve never properly introduced myself. I’m another late life learner, as I am now past the 55 year mark in age. My parents got me a cheap guitar when I was really young, but I got frustrated because I couldn’t make any good sounds and I never had a teacher. There was no one to tell me that A] I needed to tune the guitar, and B] I could get new strings if I didn’t like the awful ones that came with it.

My oldest son plays guitar. He gave up on teaching me, but he did loan me my first “real” guitar so I could follow Justin’s course. I learned my first song “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” on his electric guitar, and I really grew to love that Warlock. So I bought it from him. I have been learning songs across several genres so I can develop a variety of skills. I’ve also been dipping my toes into songwriting. I’m sure I’ll eventually settle into something, but for now, I’m having fun with both the electric and acoustic guitars. The more I learn, the more I love this instrument!

I completed Justin’s beginner course, but he made some changes to the site which meant I missed a few things. Right now, I’m in the process of going through the course a second time while mixing in some Intermediate level lessons to keep things interesting. I’m also working up the courage to share my progress through videos here.

Other things about me: I’m an accomplished figure skater. I retired from medical school many years ago and never looked back. I have mostly worked from home since then. I do have some physical limitations, but my 2 Irish Wolfhounds are a fantastic remedy and comfort. Oh yes, and my favorite ice cream is mint chocolate chip.

Anyway, nice to meet y’all!

12 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

Hey Donna, welcome to the community. Sounds like you are making a great start. I started playing a bit over 10 years ago at the age of 53 and am so glad I kept at it, the rewards are fantastic. My wife has comments many times how glad she is that I decided to pick up the guitar. Look forward to hearing more from you.

3 Likes

Hey Donna, welcome to the community, nice to read your story. I also started late, at age 53 and I wish, I’d discovered playing guitar for me earlier. I’ve got a dog too, she’s a real fanily member and we spend a lot of precious time together. Enjoy your learning process!

3 Likes

Hi Donna,…again :smile:
Nice to read more from you, I hope to hear from you for a long time,

and wish you all the best with your physical limitations, because this is of course not good, is it?

:see_no_evil: :joy:

Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Hello Donna and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

It sounds like you have plenty of areas to keep you going with the guitar. I look forward to you maybe posting one of your original songs in the AVOYP section.

:rofl:

3 Likes

Hey Donna, BC rich guitars rock, looking forward to hearing you rockin it out :metal:t2:
Have a great time learning and don’t forget to join in with the fun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::fire::metal:t2::metal:t2::metal:t2:

3 Likes

Welcome Donna. Enjoy your guitar journey!

2 Likes

Hi, Donna. Great to read your introduction. It’s always cool to hear everyone’s stories from before they found Justin. Welcome!

2 Likes

Thank you all for the warm welcome! There is so much positive energy here. I’m terrified of performing or even recording myself, but I’m going to listen to the old theater adage: “Feel the fear, but do it anyway.” I have gotten so much inspiration from the recordings I’ve seen here, so I know how important it is to share our journeys with the community. Besides, your feedback could help me get past certain stuck points and move on to the next level. Anyway, my plan is to get a video up in the next day or two. I just hope not to torture anyone too badly with my tentative first efforts. :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, Donna.

Glad to have you with us.

Be safe

Jeff from Maine

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Donna

I suspect that posting a video to the forum is even better then learning a song for building confidence, that’s something I hope to do soon, too

3 Likes

Agreed. It took me a while to gather courage enough to post. I’m sure you’ll do it too!

2 Likes

Hi Donna and thanks for sharing your back story. Advice offered in your AOVYP post I’ll just say again.

Sheep Hi

WELCOME
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi Donna, a very warm welcome to the community - though your story tells us you’re not a newcomer to JG land itself.
It sounds like you have been learning lots and having fun … the big ingredient that makes it all worthwhile.
If you want any help or guidance on the site or community or with learning just ask.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

3 Likes