Greetings from Melbourne, Australia

Washington DC is a cool place indeed. It’s been a few years since I visited (although not to Bethesda). Heaps of support here, as you said. I’m learning and it’s probably fair to say that I need all the support I can get. Stu

Thanks mate. Skyscraper Stan you say? I’ll look up the details shortly. Melbourne’s pretty good to see up and comers, if you know where to look that is. Thanks for the tip though :slight_smile:

I sometimes introduce my partner as Doc, retired surgeon.
What’s your doctorate in.? If you don’t mind me asking, feel free to not answer, no biggy.

R

Ask away. My doctorate’s in biomechanics (i.e., exercise science). I tend to research and lecture in health and physical education and exercise science, physiology, motor control etc.

How long has your partner been retired? I can’t imagine how demanding a job that would have been.

Have you been playing guitar long? Any particular genre of choice?

1 Like

Hmm, sound just as complex, I can’t imagine any doctorate being easy to study. Not sure how long retired from surgery, a while I think, works as a relief Lock and Weir keeper on the Thames now, loves it. As for my playing about 17 months and really enjoying it.

Yeah, it’s complex and it takes a huge chunk out of your life. I didn’t see my wife and kids for 4-5 years as I buried head-first into it. Worth it though.

Going from surgery to lock and weir keeping is quite the career change. I can completely appreciate why he loves it though. Anything medicine relate takes such a huge toll, both personally and professionally.

1 Like

Welcome Stu, I am also located in Melbourne (out Mentone way). Enjoy your time learning guitar and make sure you take plenty of breaks between lessons to consolidate and learn songs.

Welcome to the community Stu. I’m also in Melbourne, Mornington Peninsula area.

This is the place to find help and motivation with plenty of good people here who are always willing to help.

Go see him (free entry :open_mouth:) this weekend. He’s launching his new single.
Tell him Brian (from Merseyside) sent you and remind him of his plans to tour the UK :laughing:
He’s fab!

Brian, I gotta tell you that it’s really good. I listened to two latest singles and three most poular songs on Spotify and all of them are just so good. Thanks for the excellent recommendation.
Now I wish I was in Melbourne to listen to the new single live. Actually, the first bar was enough, I’m a huge fan of sax and its part is so tasty here. But everything else is also great.
Now I know what band I’m listening to next.

1 Like

Haha, my work is done :wink:
It’s a very long shot, but I’m hoping he’ll play in my living room one day :rofl:
I got my family and Chris to to a cover of one of my favourites a couple of months ago.
Apologies for the ‘hijack’, Stu, back over to you :smiley:

1 Like

Nah, don’t apologise - it’s music talk so the more involved the better :-).

Thanks for flicking the flyer. I’m about to listen via Spotify on my way to Ballarat, which should be a welcome distraction for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! How long have you been playing? It’s a huge learning curve, akin to learning a new language, yet it’s a whole lot of fun.

Love Mentone :slight_smile: I’m in Abbotsford and fairly close to live music venues such as the Corner Hotel, The Tote, etc. You hit the nail on the proverbial head when you said, ‘take plenty of breaks’ and ‘consolidate’. So very true.

Hi Stu
I’ve been learning here with Justin for two and a half years. Sure, it’s a long road and a bit of a grind at first but before long things start to fall into place like finger placement, chord changes and feeling the rhythm.
Motivation was probably the biggest hurdle for me. I got a lot of inspiration watching Justin learn left handed on the Nitsuj series of videos, but becoming part of this community has been the best source of motivation and advice. You soon see that there’s not a problem you’re having that hasn’t been experienced by plenty of others here.
The most important thing though, is it’s fun.

Hello Stu & welcome!!!
Reading your intro was fun with some of the Community regulars chiming in!!!
What I don’t remember reading is what you play, what’s your favorite type of music, where do you want to go with this journey we call “learning guitar”?!?!
Like Rachel aka @Libitina says, if I’m getting to personal, don’t answer & no biggie!!!

Tod in New Mexico USA :us:

P.S. Gear pics are always welcome!!! :hugs:

G’day Stuart. Great to have you here with us. I’m from Melbourne too (Ringwood East) and a relative newbie (started Jan 2023). Lot’s of great people here to help and inspire you. Enjoy the ride! :+1: Cheers, Dale.

Nah, there’s nothing off limits here :-). This ‘learning guitar’ business is wild. It’s a humbling experience to learn something when older, particularly with no base knowledge. Admitting you suck at something is very humbling. Love the community gang chipping in though as that’s what I was hoping for. The more the merrier. My music? I’m a huge Blink 182 fan … love 'em and can’t get enough of their music. I’ve been a fan for 20 odd years and will be a fan for 20 more. Strangely I’ve been an electronic music artist all my life, playing clubs (vinyl only of course) and mucking around with production. This came naturally; picking up a guitar was like ‘whooaaa, what’s this chord business’.

My taste is pretty diverse. While I love pop punk, I enjoy learning Taylor Swift songs (to keep my daughter happy) and random stuff like The Fugees. I’m listening to Justin’s blues section at the moment and can’t wait to give it a try. That’s enough about me, over to you… your music taste?

2 Likes

It’s a wild ride for sure!

In a word - eclectic.
:face_with_monocle: You may be sorry you asked!!!

Classical - Silvia @SILVIA posted a video of Ana Vidovic in her learning log that is amazing! I really like Michael Lucarelli - his version of Malaguena is an incredible watch & listen… Marco Cirillo has a great YouTube channel with a mostly Classical slant.
Jazz - Mostly the Big Band Jazz from the late 30s & 40s… Glenn Miller, Count Basie… so many others. Linda Ronstadt did a couple of Jazz standard albums with Nelson Riddle & his orchestra that’s really good. Turn off the lights late in the evening, little glass of your favorite spirit & let the Oldies but Goodies from that era play…
Rockabilly from the 50s… too many artists to name but I will say that before he went Country, Conway Twitty was a “Rocker” for his day - check out his version of Lonely Blue Boy. You’ll be surprised!!!
50s, 60s (British Invasion groups), Almost anything from the 70s…
Bluegrass!!! Alison Krauss!!! I absolutely LOVE her version of Looking in the Eyes of Love!!!
Flamenco, R&B, Hawaiian music - gotta love that slack key guitar!!!
SURF ROCK!!! OMG!!! I love surfer music!!!
Country music from the old time stuff to the most modern of Country singers…
Whew!!! I could go on & on & on & on…

I guess mostly I’m really glad we have music streaming services or I’d have no room left in my house because of all the 8 tracks, cassettes, cds, video cassettes & dvds everywhere!!!

Back to you! Tod

PS Almost forgot Blues!!! Mostly I love me some good Instrumental Blues! Too many words spoil the mix!!!

1 Like