Guide to Streamyard Audio and Video Checks

This guide is intended to allow folks to check their set up and levels on the StreamYard platform, in advance of any planned JustinGuitar shows. This can be done in isolation, as links to such events will be unique and shared with the Community nearer the time of a show.

To access StreamYard go to

www.streamyard.com

If you have not accessed Streamyard before, you will need to set up an account. Enter your email address and click on Get Started. You will then be sent a 6 digit log on code for verification.

After entering the code select Personal Use and click on Onward. This will take you to the main Streamyard menu. If you already have an account login using those details.

For audio/video checks, you can either just record within StreamYard or if you prefer send a private stream to your YouTube account/channel.

For the latter, use the Add Destination to declare your YouTube Channel and follow the instructions.

OK that is all you need to do in preparation for soundchecks etc.

Soundchecks Via StreamYard Video Recording

Select Broadcast, then select Create from the Broadcast menu.

And select Recording

Enter a title eg “Xmas Bash Soundcheck” then select Create Recording.

This will take you to the area to apply your mic and camera settings.

Enter your display name
And use the Settings Cog to set up your Audio and Video inputs, Those familiar with setting up for Zoom use the same devices (including OBS users). For new users use the Camera and Audio section to add your devices. Make sure Echo cancellation is unchecked.

Close the Settings window and select Enter Studio. Hover over the “screen” display in the bottom left corner, which should then say Add To Stream, click on the screen.

This will then launch the video view that you will present to StreamYard.

To record a performance, hit the Record “button” in the top right corner of the screen.

Then hit Record again in the new window to confirm the recording is to start.

At the end of the performance hit End Recording and again for the confirmation.

Feel free to ignore the How Did It Go ? question – I do !!

To view the video select Return To Dashboard, top right of screen.

Select Videos from the main menu, which will then show your recording(s).

You can view the video in situ by clicking on the entry or use the download option behind the 3 stacked dots (slim hamburger!).

And that’s it, wash rinse repeat.

Soundchecks Via StreamYard private stream to YouTube

Note - when setting up streaming to YouTube, approval is required on your YT account, which can take 24-48 hours.

From the main Streamyard menu, first select Destination to ensure your YouTube channels is declared,

Then select Broadcast, then create as above. Then select Livestream.

Ensure Studio is selected, then click on your destination ie YT channel entry.

Enter a title eg “Xmas Bash Test Stream”

Then select Private from the Privacy dropdown menu,

The select Create Broadcast, As above (for Recordings) you will then enter the mic and video check area. If not done so already set up your mic and camera as above. Enter a display name then hit Enter Studio.

Again click on the screen image in the bottom left corner (as per Recordings) to add you display screen and audio to the stream. Nearly there!

Then hit Go Live, top right corner and confirm. And you are on the air peeps !!! Cool but just your own private arena of course !!

Practice your performance and when finished hit the End Broadcast and confirm.

It will take a couple of minutes to save the Broadcast video on YouTube, then present the How Did It Go ? prompt (Hit X !!)

Then select Return To Dashboard top Right.

To view the recording of your Livestream test, from the main menu select Broadcast, then select Past.

Use the three stacked dots (slim hamburger) to view the recording on YouTube.

The video will then be automatically played in YouTube

Optional
For those inclined to do so, you can then check sound levels on the YouTube video by right clicking the video and selecting Stats for Nerd, as discussed in previous recording guides.
An ideal YouTube Volume level would be around -6db. Levels below -10 to -20 will be quite quiet and should be elevated if possible.

Down loaded videos can be loaded into a 3rd party loudness meter like Youlean Loudness Meter or you could verify levels in a DAW. Ideal Loudness meter levels for YouTube, (which is where our eventual show recordings will reside) aim for a True Peak level circa -2 db (above -2 db ie -2 to zero db and above will result in clipping and potential audio break up) and an Integrated LUFS level of 13 LUFS (based on current YouTube preferred audio settings.

But worry if you are too quiet on the day of an event, volumes can always be adjusted in the pre-show sound checks, that will be communicated at the time.

Back To StreamYard

To create another recording or test stream, click on the Broadcast menu button and repeat the processes above.

Hope that helps. Not an expert so would only be able to answer basic questions.

:sunglasses:

8 Likes

You"re a good man mad man.

1 Like

Wow Toby, seems as if you’ve invested a lot of time into this guide. You are too good to be true :wink: :hugs:

2 Likes

Aw thank you Andrea. Really just a matter of following the bouncy ball and making a note of the route and taking a few handy snaps on the way. :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Toby. Thank you for setting up this guide.

1 Like

Dang @TheMadman_tobyjenner , some heavy lifting on this guide brother. Many thanks!:clap:t2:… Rod

2 Likes

Hi Toby, this looks great, and thank you for setting it up. It will be gone into in depth prior to the show.

1 Like

Toby - thanks so much for this.
I just ran through them to do a test and it was very helpful.

One possible addition - and it might depend on individual setups - but I I had to turn off ‘Echo Cancellation’ when setting up my sound in order to get quality sound.

This might be useful for others getting their setup figured out.

1 Like

Good call Dale, I think mine was disabled by default. May have been a carry over from Justin’s Livestream 1 about 18 months ago. I’ll check in the morning and add a line above in the Camera/Mic set up section.

Most excellent Mr Toby, thankyou. As an audience member do I need a StreamYard account? Or do I simply click on the link that will be sent?

1 Like

Maggie you should just need the link, no account needed.

The account is only needed when accessing the recording and streaming functions.

2 Likes

Hi Toby, Thanks for this. I was able to get from my audio interface (AI) to my DAW then out to ODS and on to Streamyard.

I did a test video and it has a video with sound (hooray).

My question is about monitoring as I play. Do I just ‘tap in’ to the audio interface for direct monitoring or is there a way to make it so I can monitor from stream yard directly?

For my test I had shut off the output routing to my AI assuming I would be able to hear through stream yard, but I got no signal and was only able to identify there was sound by going to the stream yard recording.

I suppose I could just turn routing back on to the AI with my DAW but it seems that opens the possibility for the signal to get lost elsewhere and not know it.

And this is the first time I have tried including ODS, for past OMs I just connected zoom to my AI. I complicated matters because I wanted to add some reverb, EQ and have more control over vocal volume vs Guitar.

John

In the audio settings I had my AI setup as the Speakers, so I got the StreamYard audio back that way. I would do it that way and see how it works, I am sure that is what I did last time.
Guess it might also depend on your AI’s capability ?

Dale have added :

Make sure Echo cancellation is unchecked.

to audio set up section with screen grab.

:+1:

John I haven’t tried Streamyard yet but had a little play around yesterday with Zoom which shouldn’t be much different. I used monitoring off DAW rather than AI and thankfully no latency was introduced (doesn’t mean won’t be by Saturday!) :grimacing: I think I also needed to switch Monitoring Output only in OBS in order to make it work between OBS and Zoom.