Guitar Challenge (Blues Study Pieces) - Solo Blues Guitar (Justin Sandercoe)

Nice groove James. That’s really good.

1 Like

That’s really well played Jason. Mighty fine work.

Absolutely great music; well played with tone galore. Nicely done.

1 Like

TIL about OBS filters and that I can set the gain on my input - thank you! I’ll re-record with higher volume.

@batwoman @SgtColon @ChasetheDream @roger_holland @Bytron08 @frito @oldhead49

I know I’m only posting short pieces, your encouragement means a lot, thank you!

4 Likes

Very enjoyable to my ears.

2 Likes

Hi Jason
Thanks for posting - sounded really nice that, soemthing I aspire to. I need to get practicing.
It’s always been a goal of mine to get that independant bass thumb and finger melody going, tried so many times. I’m Ok at Travis picking but staying on one string has always been more difficult for me - proably because that’s the first thing I learned and so my thumb so wants to hit another string… :smiley: but you’ve inspired to have another go. These pieces seem ideal. Thanks for the inspiration. :+1:

2 Likes

Great playing and nice tone! Cool to hear the steady Thumb on an electric. Looking forward to see more solo blues pieces😊

1 Like

Really enjoyed that Jason, well played sir.

Started looking at this again a few weeks back and signed up for the full course. Dug out the acoustic but looking at you one of the LPs would have done nicely. !
Food for thought. Looking forward to the next to in that section.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey - I tried to watch some of your videos of the blues studies and YT tells me that are private, would you open up access to them?

1 Like

Hi! Yep, they should be open now.

1 Like

I’m going steady on with the solo blues studies, and just finished a recording of the slow sixth blues. I find the piece fairly OK to learn, although some struggles with not playing the bass notes on the beat.
Justin gives a tip in the end of including the sixth shapes when strumming the blues shuffle. I think that sounds good and is a cool variation to add in to the shuffle.

Here is slow sixth blues

3 Likes

Very smooth and clean @Snah … cool addition of some laid back drum beats too. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Snah

That was fabulous, Hans.

When I watch and listen to you I want to shift my focus away from playing and singing, dipping toes in the water of blues lead and get back to struggling to play more of these pieces.

Look forward to the next one.

2 Likes

Thanks David.

There is a lot to learn from these pieces. Both rhythm and lead stuff. But I see your dilemma - so much cool things you wanna learn on the guitar and so little time…

2 Likes

Thanks😎

1 Like

Nicely done! I’m trying this one myself at the moment. It’s hard!

2 Likes

Aight! Here is the Contrary blues.
It’s played at 91 bpm, which is a bit slower than Justins demo. Also, not quite 100 % smooth all over, but I’ve been practicing this a month now and I feel it’s time to move on.
I noticed that my picking hand position was a bit close to the neck. Hmm, maybe I should focusing on getting it closer to the bridge (more direct over the soundhole)…

4 Likes

That sounded great, Hans. They really are wonderful studies that demand so much from both left and right hand.

Recordings are tricky and I am listening through mid-fi ear-buds, with that caveat, I thought the bass note could be played a little harder to be more prominent.

Loved the backing percussion. Did you produce that yourself?

Look forward to the next.

1 Like

Thanks David!
It sure is demanding, but very rewarding to play the pieces all the way to the end.

The bonus note - could you be more specific?:blush:

The percussion is made in an app called SessionBand Drums. There you can arrange drum loops in patterns and export to mp3.

2 Likes

AAAARGH ‘Bass note’ … no idea how it turned out as ‘bonus note’, it’s not even close. Sorry about that.

That sounds worth a look to aid in my dabbling with the looper.

1 Like