Guitar Challenge (Blues Study Pieces) - Solo Blues Guitar (Justin Sandercoe)

@EndlessRepetition Justin composed them as study pieces - available here: Solo Blues Guitar | JustinGuitar.com
Cheers
Richard

2 Likes

Good tip! Looking forward to see a video :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

OK playing it all the way through at 50-60% now , its taken all weekend and today hitting just this to get it though but the independent steady thumb bass line is starting to flow.

2 Likes

Well done Rob, can’t wait to hear the end result.

I bought the course a few months back after having a dabble with STB but have had other irons in the fire. Now Justin has put out the Grade 3 Lick-in Riffs, I started working on that as a precursor for coming back to the course, So maybe I’ll drop one here later in the year.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Back again with at mash up of solo blues studies 2:

So, I tried to mix the main essence from “slow sixth blues”, “contrary motion” and “raggy Island blues”. The sixth study is mainly represented in the intro/riff-part utilizing the interval of a 6th combined with a lick. Middle part draws inspiration from Raggy island ans has some travis picking with a few hammer-on/flick offs. The turnaround is “contrary motion” lick with two voices moving ascending and descending.

Initially I thought the piece was to messy, but after playing/practising it 40-50 times it was growing on me. I am happy with including a F#min7 in there to brake away a little from the classic I-IV-V.
The 1/2 bend in the riff is hard on my fingers (maybe a bit to ambitious for my level) and there are a few buzzes, but overall I think it is a OK closure for me of the solo blues studies 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvpdMYcqsXk

For comparison here is also the mash up of solo blues studies 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEl0qXgxa8

2 Likes

Hi Hans,
That was a nice piece of work and it looked complicated :sunglasses: :clap:…because of the drum it is sometimes more noticeable to run out of rhythm, and I hope you keep going with this one to get it perfect…you have that absolutely in you…this was already good, but ooo, if then and that etc. I’ll buy a single from you… :smiley:
I had to check if you were the same as in that other video… looking good for the summer :sweat_smile:
Greetings and looking out for the same and more :sunglasses:,
Rogier

2 Likes

Well done Hans.

Have to agree with Roger, very nicely played, well constructed and yes it looks complicated. Some timing issues, especially with that huge position change but I reckon it won’t take you long to nail it.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great share, Hans. It’s next level to begin to combine licks and phrases from the different studies. Well done. Keep on keeping on!

2 Likes

Haha, Thanks!
A haircut and some sun helps😎

Agree, it’s not perfect. Looking back one more time I can see I fall a little behind on the rhythm, especially on that big jump on the fretboard.
I might consider a re-recording, just need a little pause from the solo blues studies.

3 Likes

Thanks mate!

2 Likes

Thanks David :slightly_smiling_face:
The concepts from the studies will hopefully sink in better if I make my own little piece.

2 Likes

You’ve got the blues @Richard_close2u !! Or perhaps had the blues, as I see these are 10+ years old!

1 Like

This sounded really good for starting to learn it David, when you get back to it it’ll be a lot quicker I’m sure to get to this level. Guitar sounded good too, I’m not sure I’ve seen you playing that one before.

See you at the crossroads :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Mari63 Thanks Mari. Those were the days :grin: The guitar is mostly wall art. It was a birthday present purchased when available in a store with used instruments with a view to one day being able to play acoustic finger-style blues, eventually with a slide. A long term goal.

If I recall how things have gone, I lost focus on this when I shifted focus to singing and the Chris Liepe course. Now mostly I am unfocused learning songs and dabbling a bit in lead. And right now restricted to only playing my acoustic as the electric is so heavy that it is against doctors orders to pick it up.

2 Likes

Well wall art is good, long term goals are good, learning songs is good, learning lead is good - and listening to the doctor is good!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:laughing: so all in all, all is good :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @Mari63 oh my … 10 years, where does the time fly. Thanks so much for your kind words and appreciation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey all,

As part of my consolidation for Grade 2 I’ve been learning Justin’s Acoustic Solo Blues to help consolidate the blues techniques. Here is a video of my current progress. JustinGuitar Acoustic Solo Blues - YouTube

As always feedback from the community is appreciated as it helps in the learning and development process.

13 Likes

Whew, that sounded great James. Really consolidating those blues. Is this solo blues from the classic course?

1 Like

@alexisduprey thanks for the listen Alexis, much appreciated. In the Beginners Course Book that was published for the classic course Justin included some bonus content. The lesson videos for it are still on YouTube but not on the old or current website which is a shame as it’s a great piece to learn.

1 Like